• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

My MSI 6g is slaying everything. Pairs so nice with my 144hz monitor. Witcher 3 ultra 1080p with over 80fps. Over clocked it a fair bit, still want to push it more, and at 65% fan speed, I'm barley hitting 72* load. I love this card.

Newegg has Gigabyte 980 Ti G1's in stock. I just got one. The auto notify did not tell me, so you might want to check if you are looking for one.

Cannot wait to get this 7970 blast furnace out of my computer.

CHC

That G1 is fucking crazy, the 980Ti keeps on delivering.

Tempted to ditch my 780 at this point, performance is more than double which is my usual metric for when to replace.

ZOONAMI

Newegg has Gigabyte 980 Ti G1's in stock. I just got one. The auto notify did not tell me, so you might want to check if you are looking for one.

Cannot wait to get this 7970 blast furnace out of my computer.

Would it be crazy to sell my evga sc 980 ti to get the g1?

Wag

If you're going to pay that, why would you get a card with a reference cooler when the non-reference coolers are so much better?

b3323.jpg

The $650 EVGA ACX 2.0+ cards have their own 2-fan non-reference cooling.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If you're going to pay that, why would you get a card with a reference cooler when the non-reference coolers are so much better?

I have a small formfactor case that won't fit anything bigger. Thats just one reason!
Still heavily thinking about replacing my 680 with this. But for the most part its still fine for 1080p.

Wag

I have a small formfactor case that won't fit anything bigger. Thats just one reason!
Still heavily thinking about replacing my 680 with this. But for the most part its still fine for 1080p.

The ACX 2.0+ is pretty small. I'm surprised it won't fit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The ACX 2.0+ is pretty small. I'm surprised it won't fit.

Comparing the two now. I also have a 450w psu since its a very tiny psu.

Interesting, the GTX 680 recommends a 550w psu and its max rating is 195w. While the new hotness recommends 650 and its max rating is 250.

Hmm.
I feel like I'll still be ok.

Is the non-reference EVGA cooler that much better? Im considering a 980 Ti, and a local shop here (Frys) carries the blower style 980 ti SC, but not the 2.0+ ACS one. Other than pushing the air out, is it much of a difference with a good custom fan profile with Precision?

I am in the same boat... I am debating about picking this up and just building a whole new PC...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I am in the same boat... I am debating about picking this up and just building a whole new PC...

I've been thinking about getting a pci express extension slot and making a daughter case to have the graphics card outside of my case. Though that doesn't solve the PSU problem.

I've been thinking about getting a pci express extension slot and making a daughter case to have the graphics card outside of my case. Though that doesn't solve the PSU problem.

Yeah, mine is a simpler problem: I either wait for the new skylake chips or pick up an i7-5960X/4790K

I know if I just buy the 980 ti I will want to build a whole new computer... so just waiting for the Skylake specs...

Wag

Is the non-reference EVGA cooler that much better? Im considering a 980 Ti, and a local shop here (Frys) carries the blower style 980 ti SC, but not the 2.0+ ACS one. Other than pushing the air out, is it much of a difference with a good custom fan profile with Precision?

https://youtu.be/T-3cKA1L8S8

If you plan on doing any overclocking at all or running in SLI eventually I would pick up the ACX 2.0+ model. Why not? It's not like it costs any more money.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, mine is a simpler problem: I either wait for the new skylake chips or pick up an i7-5960X/4790K

I know if I just buy the 980 ti I will want to build a whole new computer... so just waiting for the Skylake specs...

Gotcha!
Rest of my PC is rock solid. Just need a new GPU. Just need to see my PSU will cut it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I will never want a second card under any circumstances. I just need to make sure I have that 65w headroom.

Wag

Reference coolers are adequate at best but if you can get something better for the same amount of money I'd always go with that. The ACX 2.0+ is much better. If you have room for it. Do it.

The Goat

You are in for a treat man. I came from 680 x2 SLI setup to a single ref 980ti. The difference was insane. I then went and put a LC module on it and over clocked around 200/300 and it was faster without any change in temp. This card is a beast!

Yeah, loving the card so far! Loaded up Witcher 3 and cranked everything up. Even with Hairworks running, @ 1440p the game runs incredibly well. I'm not sensitive to a bit of fluctuation in framerate, so I'm leaving everything as-is. Game is smooth as butter. Purchase justified ;) Hah.

Qassim

I'm getting up to 30% performance improvement on The Witcher 3 with my MSI Gaming OC card over my two GTX 780s. So I'm quite happy with that for probably close to half the power usage and a *huge* improvement in acoustics.

Also yeah - I ran two 780s on a Corsair HX850w which are the same TDP as a 980Ti. You should be fine.

850W is a lot of watts. It ought to be fine even for SLI.

980ti can hit over 300w on gaming load, so 600 not counting if the proc is oc'd. And at that pint you are running your psu near capacity which is not good for psu longevity. I switched for a 1300w psu because of 980ti sli + oc'd i5

Skyzard

Banned
Finally! It's here. Graphical settings bumpage carnage!

Got the EVGA sc+. For some reason it's clocked at 1290-1304 by default...Higher than it's supposed to be...:S

Anyway, goodbye 1080p, I hope :) Probably not.

DBT85

980ti can hit over 300w on gaming load, so 600 not counting if the proc is oc'd. And at that pint you are running your psu near capacity which is not good for psu longevity. I switched for a 1300w psu because of 980ti sli + oc'd i5
That's like killing a goldfish with a shotgun.

Not all silicon is created equal. Some areas of the wafer will simply produce chips of a higher quality compared to other areas. Manufacturers compensate for this by 'binning' chips - testing them themselves and assigning better performing ones to a range of cards aimed at overclockers.

You know your card's limit by creeping up your overclock and stress testing it. Once you encounter problems, you dial back a bit and then you have your limit.

Not all processors are manufactured equal, it's just the nature of the industry - some parts aren't as capable as others. Take a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

Thanks for the info! One other question, how do you know when you encounter problems? Error messages or temps too high?

AU Tiger

Finally showed up after about a month of waiting. The backplate is still backordered on amazon. I can wait... not worth the extra 7 bucks to get it off newegg.

P6qPRuO.jpg

jEVgXVm.jpg

GqBF4wi.jpg

Max Stable overclock
3Ss1bp5.png
(right under 8ghz on the memory)

hKRYPSK.jpg

Crisium

I wish Guru 3D compared all the 980 Ti's noise at load when overclocked to max. 1-2 FPS isn't as important as 1-2 dB for me.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_980_ti_amp_extreme_review,11.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,11.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_980_ti_gaming_oc_review,11.html

MSI is quietest here, but it's the lowest clocked, so presumably it'd ramp up more than the others when OC'd.

Wag

I got my 2nd card today. This one has an ASIC of 77%. Time to enjoy Witcher 3 in 4k.

Should I oc both clocks individually or should I link them together?

Top Bottom