• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Qassim

aTFhSQq.png

Ignore the Est. Max - I haven't been able to get close to that. My practical max seen so far seems to be 1523 in games, it boosts to that reliably and comfortably, I've seen it in the 1530s but only on very odd occasions. I think I can probably get more out of the memory, but haven't looked too much into that yet.

I'm quite happy with what I'm getting, temperatures remain excellent (as I can drive a custom fan profile and the card remains virtually silent (can't hear it over the other components in my case)).

(MSI Gaming OC)

Skyzard

Banned
100% would mean the sli guys who have cash would be more likely to upgrade too.

That'd be real nice if it was decent for 1440p too.

May end up getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate in the not so distant future. Although by then the next-gen consoles will be out and it'll be back to 60fps as the games get a lot more demanding... maybe even 1440p again?

Definitely need to get a nice ips 1440p g-sync...but I kind of only want a 60hz g-sync, read some dubious comments about 144hz and g-sync but maybe that's bullshit or doesn't affect 60hz.

I should probably get the rog swift I think. Ah TN...got that atm, want ips.

May end up getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate in the not so distant future. Although by then the next-gen consoles will be out and it'll be back to 60fps... maybe even 1440p again?

60+ isn't the end all be all. 4k resolutions are limited to 60 fps right. Something to think about

Tablo

740$...
How about no, I'm going to be lenient and assume that'll come down to 700$ max initially.
If EVGA can sell the Classified which has more recognition than Strix, regardless of quality, for 700$, Asus can do 700$...

Wag

Hey guys, I noticed since I added my 2nd card in Witcher 3 every so often my screen blanks out and then comes back. It's really annoying. It didn't do that when I was running on 1 card. I benchmarked each card individually @ 200Mhz core and 500Mhz memory and they seem to be stable, but for some reason the screen still blanks every once in a while in Witcher 3.

I just cleaned my drivers out and changed the HDMI port to the other card, let's see if that makes a difference.

badb0y

Hey guys, I noticed since I added my 2nd card in Witcher 3 every so often my screen blanks out and then comes back. It's really annoying. It didn't do that when I was running on 1 card. I benchmarked each card individually @ 200Mhz core and 500Mhz memory and they seem to be stable, but for some reason the screen still blanks every once in a while.

I just cleaned my drivers out and changed the HDMI port to the other card, let's see if that makes a difference.
Are you using the hotfix drivers? I was getting a lot of driver crashes and stuff before I installed the hotfix driver but now I've been rock solid for about a week.

longdi

Banned
95% it is down to how good your gpu silicon is, that determines how far you can overclock.

All the non reference cards only give quieter cooling over default blower. In fact some non reference coolers ignore the vrm and vram and that caused worse cooling than the blower.

Not a believer of souped up vrm phase powers at premium prices, at least not with normal air and liquid cooling

May end up getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate in the not so distant future. Although by then the next-gen consoles will be out and it'll be back to 60fps as the games get a lot more demanding... maybe even 1440p again?

Definitely need to get a nice ips 1440p g-sync...but I kind of only want a 60hz g-sync, read some dubious comments about 144hz and g-sync but maybe that's bullshit or doesn't affect 60hz.

I should probably get the rog swift I think.

what comments did you read?

Wag

Are you using the hotfix drivers? I was getting a lot of driver crashes and stuff before I installed the hotfix driver but now I've been rock solid for about a week.

Yep, I'm using the hotfix drivers. It could be that Witcher 3 is pushing my new card too hard, my new card is defective or there's it's a bug. I haven't figured it out.

Man.... I was playing Battlefield 4 at 4K\60 until tonight. Decided to try 1440p\96 and.... I love it! This monitor is capable of 120hz, but I can't play most games at that speed without turning all kinds of settings down.

Arex

Decided to get the MSI 980ti instead of the Gigabyte one because it's out of stock.. hope I don't come to regret it! For people who have them, how's the temp and noise?

DBT85

Skyzard

Banned
what comments did you read?

I'll try and find the article link but it was about ips panels and g-sync and 144hz and something about it traditionally being too hard but they used a different panel and "most people won't notice." Nothing damning or definitive, just has me thinking twice before automatically going for the 144 when I pretty much know I'm going to be at 60 all the time anyway. I should probably wait some more.

Leaning towards g-sync but not many to choose from for me. The 2560 144 ips one coming looks bad too.

I definitely want a better quality screen than what I've got now which is a tn. Although it's 4k so a native 1440p tn should look better most of the time for me anyway, I think.

Durante

I have no idea what you read, but the e.g. the XB270 is the best IPS for 60 Hz gaming right now, just like it is the best IPS for 144 Hz gaming (and everything in between. There's nothing about making it work at 144 Hz that somehow makes the panel worse at 60.

(The only problem with the XB270 is that there's a bit of a panel lottery)

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
Anyone got the MSI Gaming 980 ti in a micro-ATX case? Was thinking about a Crosair 240 Air case for it but apparently the 970 MSI with the same cooler system doesn't fit right so I'm doubting that's a goer.

If anyone's got a current gen MSI with a micro-ATX case that fits it I'd love to hear about it.

RevenWolf

Hey gaf, my wife got me a 4k monitor about a year ago, so I had upgraded my pc with Xfire r9 290xs but with certain games can chug quite a bit even on lowest settings, do you guys think upgrading to sli 980 ti 's is worth it? I did some benchmark research but most of the, are compared to the fury x at 4k so I'm not sure :(

Jumpman

Yep, I'm using the hotfix drivers. It could be that Witcher 3 is pushing my new card too hard, my new card is defective or there's it's a bug. I haven't figured it out.

Sounds like a soft driver crash. If you enable some monitoring software while you play to see clock speeds and gpu power usage it could confirm this. Observe your clocks during gameplay until the black out happens. When it comes back your clocks will be running at a lower more stable speed, and your gpu power will no longer sniff the 100+ territory.

If this is what you observe, then you have some instability and need to find a more solid overclock to avoid problems. I don't know your level of knowledge so I'll tell you something you may already know. Cards usually have trouble maintaining their individual max overclocks when put in sli. You usually have to go lower than the weaker of the two cards to have stability in sli.

Of course it's also possible that your overclocks weren't as stable as you thought. It's quite normal to pass a gauntlet of benchmarking, and even extensive game playing where you seem stable. Then you find the magic game that messes up your dream and suddenly you know you're not stable anymore. And they're not predictable either. You could play that problem game for 15 hours with no trouble and then boom. And with the same settings you might have trouble after 15 minutes. It doesn't really matter though because instability is instability. :/

Durante

Hey gaf, my wife got me a 4k monitor about a year ago, so I had upgraded my pc with Xfire r9 290xs but with certain games can chug quite a bit even on lowest settings, do you guys think upgrading to sli 980 ti 's is worth it? I did some benchmark research but most of the, are compared to the fury x at 4k so I'm not sure :(
A 980ti is around 60% faster than a 290x, give or take a few %.

Of course, both with SLI and Crossfire you'll always have issues in some games which don't support multi-GPU rendering.

Skyzard

Banned
I have no idea what you read, but the e.g. the XB270 is the best IPS for 60 Hz gaming right now, just like it is the best IPS for 144 Hz gaming (and everything in between. There's nothing about making it work at 144 Hz that somehow makes the panel worse at 60.

(The only problem with the XB270 is that there's a bit of a panel lottery)

Okay that's good to know, will be nice to have the option for 144 of course. Never seen above 60Hz.

As long as the panel lottery risk isn't much worse than a 60 hz ips 1440p screen...which doesn't exist afaik.

Also the stand looks bad in pics, imo, kinda tacky.

laxu

Saw this quote about ASCI quality using GPU-z. So far they don't matter according to testers and engineers, but with Maxwell based cards...maybe they do?

I don't think they do. I used to have two 770s and one had nearly 90% ASIC quality and the other in the 70s. There was absolutely no difference in their performance. Most Maxwell cards seem to have 70+ ASIC (around 76% seems the most common) and still perform differently - just silicon lottery. Basing how good a card is on its ASIC value is a terrible idea.

laxu

SLI 980 Ti would be a good idea for 4K but make sure you have at least a good 1000W PSU and you should probably look into something like the EVGA Hybrid as the 980 Ti runs pretty hot. Then you of course have to figure out where to cram a few radiators...

Qassim

Decided to get the MSI 980ti instead of the Gigabyte one because it's out of stock.. hope I don't come to regret it! For people who have them, how's the temp and noise?

The temperature and noise on mine is absolutely excellent, it's astonishing that I can't even hear the card, even with my more aggressive fan profile over the other noises in my case - even when I have the card at full load for a very long period of time.

I don't even think my fan profile is necessary, I'm have yet to actually even test properly without it, it's just the same one I had on my old reference 780s.

Edit: Just checked my fan profile, my fan curve seems to be pretty much identical to the stock one past about 50c, so noise on load is the same as you'd get on stock fan speeds - which in my experience is basically silent (i.e. I can't distinguish the noise from the card and it's about 2ft away from me).

baphomet

Okay that's good to know, will be nice to have the option for 144 of course. Never seen above 60Hz.

As long as the panel lottery risk isn't much worse than a 60 hz ips 1440p screen...which doesn't exist afaik.

Also the stand looks bad in pics, imo, kinda tacky.

If you get a 144hz gsync monitor, you won't be playing at 60hz anymore.

I'm waiting for the ASUS PG279Q. Supposedly it should be available in Q3. It will be my first 2560x1440 monitor. Until then I'm way overkill for my 1080p monitor.

Khal_B

Prices of these cards are outrageous at the moment. Will wait until it goes back to the price it's supposed to be, if not, then I guess it's Pascal for me.

Prices of these cards are outrageous at the moment. Will wait until it goes back to the price it's supposed to be, if not, then I guess it's Pascal for me.
I'm pretty sure once the supply of cards increases the price will normalize. I doubt that will take a year.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm waiting for the ASUS PG279Q. Supposedly it should be available in Q3. It will be my first 2560x1440 monitor. Until then I'm way overkill for my 1080p monitor.

Okay so what I was also worried about was IPS displays and input lag but I came across Durante's thread on one of those monitors and a post says 3ms lag total which should still be great coming from TN 1ms. [Edit-or is it actually closer to 6, still good I guess].

But they really are sucking with the stand designs. Do I have to have some red flair on my monitor for gsync :p And what's up with the panel lottery :/

Good to know rog swift is getting an IPS version but I guess I should wait for confirmation on response time just in case...

oxidax

Aww man 980ti g1 is amaaaaaazing!! I fucking love it! I'm having an issue with dynamic super resolution tho. It only says off in nvidia control panel. Anybody kno why? That's weird It's not showing me anything. I'm using win 10 preview but idk if that's the problem. I can change it in the games options tho.

Any comparisons between EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ vs MSI Gaming 6g?

There are no direct comparison reviews, but the MSI is better in every way.

1279MHz boost, higher quality components, custom PCB, 8+8pin power, better cooler.

The EVGA SC+ is simply an overclocked reference PCB with the ACX cooler.

There's no reason not to fork over the extra $10.

Havel

I'm wondering this as well. In the meantime Scan has it for pre-order at £599, due in July 10th, and Overclockers has it on 'sale' at £620, usual price £630.

Man, Overclockers are such a rip-off. They ALWAYS have the highest prices of all the major online retailers. I only use them if I absolutely have to.

Arex

The temperature and noise on mine is absolutely excellent, it's astonishing that I can't even hear the card, even with my more aggressive fan profile over the other noises in my case - even when I have the card at full load for a very long period of time.

I don't even think my fan profile is necessary, I'm have yet to actually even test properly without it, it's just the same one I had on my old reference 780s.

Edit: Just checked my fan profile, my fan curve seems to be pretty much identical to the stock one past about 50c, so noise on load is the same as you'd get on stock fan speeds - which in my experience is basically silent (i.e. I can't distinguish the noise from the card and it's about 2ft away from me).

That's good to hear! I guess the slightly better performance G1 is offset by MSI's quietness. No coil whine I presume?
Anyway I hope mine can overclock well, when it's all put together eventually.. Still waiting for my pc case to arrive :D

Guys, anyone know if the EVGA SC+ version of the 980 Ti is worth it over the stock EVGA version?

The SC+ version is £40 more.

Is it likely to contain a higher binned chip? Is it significantly cooler?

DBT85

Guys, anyone know if the EVGA SC+ version of the 980 Ti is worth it over the stock EVGA version?

The SC+ version is £40 more.

Is it likely to contain a higher binned chip? Is it significantly cooler?

Over a completely reference design? It'll run cooler and quieter, which could help it run a little faster, maybe 1450, maybe even 1500 if you got exceedingly lucky.

It's a reference PCB with a custom cooler on it, nothing too exotic.

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe is off topic. But are a good one slot graphic card right now?

Are single cards good now? For what? 4k? Not for AAA modern games and high fps/settings. Pretty much anything else unless you want to really max everything out at 1440p.

---nvm! my bad, single slot is not single gpu

Mad Max

Over a completely reference design? It'll run cooler and quieter, which could help it run a little faster, maybe 1450, maybe even 1500 if you got exceedingly lucky.

It's a reference PCB with a custom cooler on it, nothing too exotic.

I don't think that one has a different cooler, that'd be the ACX version. The SC+ is just an overclocked reference card.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think that one has a different cooler, that'd be the ACX version. The SC+ is just an overclocked reference card.

Oh wait then, nvm deleted my wrong post. Damn they have so many cards now lol.

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hydro Copper

I dunno if superclocked is worse than acx btw, I just put it like that but it seems like the cards hit 1400 pretty easily and the extra cooling would be good. Dunno if they preselect better cards for superclocked versions though.

Wow. Using a modded bios is definitely getting more juice out of my card. I'm actually completing benchmarks at 1533 MHz now. Gonna see how far it will go...

Top Bottom