• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Sweet baby jesus. Some of the clocks you guys are getting is freaking ridiculous. Don't think I can wait till Pascal. Looks like my 760 is going to be retired soon.

Wag

i have the same problem with my EVGA SC acx 2.0, if i go over 1410 the driver crashes right away, could this be a faulty card or just bad luck on the silicon cause i have seen people here saying they get higher OCs than me with a reference card

It doesn't matter much because 1400 is pretty good for an SLI setup.

i have the same problem with my EVGA SC acx 2.0, if i go over 1410 the driver crashes right away, could this be a faulty card or just bad luck on the silicon cause i have seen people here saying they get higher OCs than me with a reference card

ACX SC is the same silicon lottery as reference. You just get lower temps from a (theoretically) better cooling system.

Some cards have binned GPUs. The G1 was the first card to have them. Classifieds have them. Strix have them.

dEvAnGeL

ACX SC is the same silicon lottery as reference. You just get lower temps from a (theoretically) better cooling system.

Some cards have binned GPUs. The G1 was the first card to have them. Classifieds have them. Strix have them.
so binned GPUs are pretty much the "higher" models per say? classified, MSI gaming, G1 and so on, everything else is reference with a prettier cooler? i see, thanks

dEvAnGeL

usually how long it takes for a new evga card to be selectable for step up? im thinking of paying the extra 30 bucks and get the classified 980ti but it still not on the list

Havel

First video is just PR and that production doesn't necessarily affect component quality.
kitguru is just a brief overview, don't doubt they're using good parts I want a thorough review comparing the PCB to other custom boards.

I agree with you. Was just pointing out what Asus have been saying, but definitely not saying I believe this PR hype until reviews hit.

There are some images around though of the Strix's PCB:

Asus_GTX_980_Ti_Strix_Gaming_naked.jpg

Compare that to the reference 980ti:

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti_3.jpg

DBT85

I flashed anew BIOS to my Zotac Amp last night with expanded power limits up form 275w to about 350w.

It allowed me to get to about 1460 instead of 1420, but I'd also not upped the maximum voltages allowed so it didn't go past 1.224v.

At 100% fan it was also bouncing off 70-72c.

Will be playing a little more in the coming weeks, but I'm not expecting any more really.

Happy with 1400 though tbh as I only game at 2560x1600.

This card will get to its 1420 on stock volts by the way and on auto fan. Without the BIOS flash I wasn't able to get past 1420 at all.

dEvAnGeL

I flashed anew BIOS to my Zotac Amp last night with expanded power limits up form 275w to about 350w.

It allowed me to get to about 1460 instead of 1420, but I'd also not upped the maximum voltages allowed so it didn't go past 1.224v.

At 100% fan it was also bouncing off 70-72c.

Will be playing a little more in the coming weeks, but I'm not expecting any more really.

Happy with 1400 though tbh as I only game at 2560x1600.

This card will get to its 1420 on stock volts by the way and on auto fan. Without the BIOS flash I wasn't able to get past 1420 at all.
the 1420 is on boost im assuming?

Guys, my F5 key is going to break waiting for the Classified to be available to put inside a cart.

They sold out within 45 minutes after showing up on Newegg O_O

I have my new PSU in so now it's just a matter of deciding to buy another EVGA SC+, or try out a different brand before going SLI with it.

Do the Classifieds usually have a drastically higher power requirement?

paskowitz

Guys, my F5 key is going to break waiting for the Classified to be available to put inside a cart.

auto notify and then watch your email....

Watch the EVGA forums. An auto notify from one of their threads is usually faster than autonotify from Newegg or any other reseller. Nowinstock.com is pretty good as well. People have been complaining that emails arrive too late for these items. Seriously, you have about a 5 minute window from when the item is in stock... sometimes worse (14 seconds).

Yeah that's not going to work. The next time they come in stock, the amount will be WAAAAAAY less than the people on the notify list. So not everyone on the list will get an email. And if you're clicking that button now, you'll be placed at the bottom of the list. That's how this works.

Really kinda useless for high demand \ low stock products.

They sold out within 45 minutes after showing up on Newegg O_O

I have my new PSU in so now it's just a matter of deciding to buy another EVGA SC+, or try out a different brand before going SLI with it.

Do the Classifieds usually have a drastically higher power requirement?

Watch the EVGA forums. An auto notify from one of their threads is usually faster than autonotify from Newegg or any other reseller. Nowinstock.com is pretty good as well. People have been complaining that emails arrive too late for these items. Seriously, you have about a 5 minute window from when the item is in stock... sometimes worse (14 seconds).

I have auto notify for EVGA, Newegg, and Amazon as well as the notify feature on nowinstock.net. It hurt to wait a month for the card to become available, I don't know what I'll do if I have to wait a month to grab and order it.

Wag

well shit, i just checked my ASIC quality and it's only 68.8%, that's rather disappointing

ASIC doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. You can have a shitty ASIC and have a good overclocking card and conversely have a really high ASIC and the card will overclock quite poorly.

One of my cards is 70.6% and hits 200Mhz boost core and that's about it regardless of the voltage.

15222 a decent score in firestrike?

980ti
2600k @ 4.6
16gb 1600mhz ram

Graphics Score 19557
Physics Score 11543
Combined Score 6970

The graphics score could be higher. I'm guessing mine is overclocked more, but it looks about right. Here's mine:

Score: 16344

Graphics Score 20933
Physics Score 12065
Combined Score 7738

EVGA SC+ (~1480 mhz core)
i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz

dEvAnGeL

The graphics score could be higher. I'm guessing mine is overclocked more, but it looks about right. Here's mine:

Score: 16344

Graphics Score 20933
Physics Score 12065
Combined Score 7738

EVGA SC+ (~1480 mhz core)
i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz
did you have the full program or the demo on steam? ive never use it before so im curious

I agree with you. Was just pointing out what Asus have been saying, but definitely not saying I believe this PR hype until reviews hit.

There are some images around though of the Strix's PCB:

Asus_GTX_980_Ti_Strix_Gaming_naked.jpg

It's funny because this is supposed to be an LN2 card for overclockers but this still won't stop people from buying it.

DBT85

15222 a decent score in firestrike?

980ti
2600k @ 4.6
16gb 1600mhz ram

Graphics Score 19557
Physics Score 11543
Combined Score 6970

Check out the OCUK Firestrike, Extreme and Ultra threads if you want to see some reference points.

Also the Heaven 4 thread.

The only one I've run and actually paid much attention to since overclocking at all was FireStrike Ultra, managed 4500 which considering I'm only on a 2500k I was pleased with.

I'm so confused with overclocking. Haven't found a good and 100% stable overclock yet. What I don't quite understand is what's the point of adding voltage?

Here is an example:

I have 1454 MHz core clock (boost) at 1,174 V. If I add voltage, nothing happens. I still have 1454 MHz core clock at 1,174 V. If I add more voltage, it suddenly jumps to 1,193 V. But then the frequency also jumps to 1467 MHz! How can I stabilize my settings when they change with additional voltage? Why can't I have 1454 MHz and 1,193 V?

DBT85

Because of how the boost stuff works. It wants a certain voltage for a certain frequency and it will adjust on it's own, probably due to the tables in the bios.

Just see how far you can get it with no extra voltage and then do the same with +87.

I can't add any more to the core, but it does actually boost about 10 higher of it's own accord.

With a custom BIOS you can push that further still, to a point.

Just did a test.

Ran firestrike at my normal, stable overclock with no added voltage. Highest clock = 1484 MHz.

Then I increased the voltage to +87mV and didn't touch anything else. Highest clock = 1522MHz, but it seemed like the average clock was lower and I even got a lower graphics score in firestrike. Highest recorded temp was the same (67 degrees).

In both cases, I'm hitting the power limit 95% of the time. I rarely ever hit the voltage limit.

DBT85

You could try a milder mV to see if it finds a balance, or just up your power limits with a bios flash and let it run free.

That it will even hit 1522 at all is nice!

longdi

Banned
Saw this quote about ASCI quality using GPU-z. So far they don't matter according to testers and engineers, but with Maxwell based cards...maybe they do?

By kingpin, not a hardware engineer by any means, just some OC duder with his own brand with EVGA. caveat emptor

Originally Posted by k|ngp|n
Honestly speaking, I think most end users don't even realize how maxwell gpus are voltage capped at ambient type cooling. I can tell by many of the comments at OC.net, elsewhere, and also here in these card XOC bios threads. Especially compared to kepler. KP 780ti scaled great on voltage with air/water temps. Basically, more voltage = more clocks no matter what temperature.
With 980 and later gpus including titanX, the scaling on air/water has all but almost gone. I would say about 95% of all maxwell 980,titan-X, and 980ti gpus NO MATTER what vga brand pcb it is on, DO NOT SCALE with more voltage than 1.25v-1.275v at temps warmer than 25c or so. There is no magical bios that can effectively remove this.

This is exactly why almost every moderate-good asic titanX, 980, and yes 980ti clock around 1550mhz MAX AVERAGE at say 45-60C loading temps.
If you put 0c and colder on the card, you will see MUCH different behavior than what you see on air (green garbage all over screen when raising volts over 1.23-1.25vv or so)
Cards with very good ASIC value (75% and up) will tend to have the most "overclocking", but just like about every other maxwell gpu, they cannot overvolt past 1.23v-1.25v.
So highest asic cards like 80% +are almost always going to be the ones that can 1600+ on air/water, and again they do it pretty much WITHOUT overvolting over 1.23v-1.25v. Maxwell gpus with lower asic value like 65% will not be so great at air/water because these low asic gpus need voltage to scale compared to match the overclock of the high asic gpus( USING SAME USABLE VOLTAGE 1.23-1.25v)

what benchmark do you guys run to consider a "stable" run?

I'm going to keep going +10 on my core speed on my 980ti g1's until they crap out? What does crapping out entail?

Afterwards what do I increase?

what benchmark do you guys run to consider a "stable" run?

I'm going to keep going +10 on my core speed on my 980ti g1's until they crap out? What does crapping out entail?

Afterwards what do I increase?

I typically use the Heaven benchmark. I'll run it for 30-45 minutes. Driver crashes, artifacts, application crashes, or BSODs indicate instability. I personally just look to get max overclock on stock voltage myself. Most people increase their power limit to something like +10% but the G1 gaming power limit is already increased over stock. If you want to push it a bit further you can increase voltage. Even after running some stress tests you could still have an unstable overclock. Nothing tests it better than long gaming sessions with demanding games like the Witcher 3.

Nothing tests it better than long gaming sessions with demanding games like the Witcher 3.

Unfortunately this is the case. You might have an overclock you think is "stable" after hours of looping Heaven, 3DMark, Furmark, and anything else you care to test. And then you play a game and it crashes after 30 minutes and you have to lower your overclock until the game is stable. I'm all for these looping stress tests but ultimately it's not "stable" until it's Game Stable™.

Skyzard

Banned
Graphics, mang.

sli 980ti must be insane when it's working well.

Imagine sli pascal if there's a 50% bump. Won't be able to hold all the graphics.

Graphics, mang.

sli 980ti must be insane when it's working well.

Imagine sli pascal if there's a 50% bump. Won't be able to hold all the graphics.

Kinda sad that we're actually looking forward to 50% increases.

That sort of increment used to be incredibly underwhelming.

Top Bottom