• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I always thought that was kinda BS?

The game is stable with both my cards running at 1520 7800 for a few hours.

There's obviously more to it. I've been trying for a while and I can barley get to 1500/7700 and I have 82.2% asic quality. Gonna spend some more time on it, but high a asic doesn't guarantee any sort of OC. I've got the MSI 6G btw.

There's obviously more to it. I've been trying for a while and I can barley get to 1500/7700 and I have 82.2% asic quality. Gonna spend some more time on it, but high a asic doesn't guarantee any sort of OC. I've got the MSI 6G btw.

I think you're replying to the wrong person. I didn't say anything about ASIC :p
What is your ASIC btw?

Does your TW3 have red dots and colored rectangles?

69% asd 76%. And no, I dialed back my clocks until there was no artifacts in TW3. The brutal torture test was running the game at 5120x2880. That usually lets me know when my clocks are unstable real fast.

There are no program that can test and show that your overclocking is 100% stable. But, TW3 is a games really pushes the GPU, and many times, it shows what people's thought stable OC was not.

I'll second this, my 980 Ti was stable in everything else at over 1500, but in TW3 I had to dial it back to 1464 in order for it to be stable (7600 on the RAM, can go higher but I don't see a point to it at the moment).

Edit: ASIC score of 74%.

The 980 ti is 800-900 CAD in Canada (depending on brand). Should I get one or is that price ridiculous?

Dollar sucks right now, can't really do much. I ended up getting a 970 to tide me over and I'm very happy with it, YMMV though. If it were near 650 or 700 CAD I probably would have bought a 980 Ti.

Did you check if the clocks were actually running 1520 or was it down throttling in TW3?

I'm using a BIOS that prevents throttling so it stays at a rock solid 1520. I can see everything via the Afterburner OSD.

On stock bios, the clocks range from 1470 - 1520 depending on the card temps. Once both cards hit 70 degrees, I was pretty much at 1470. The reason I used a custom bios is because I can maintain those clocks while both cards still stay at 75 or under. Yay for great airflow.

Do you have a heat problem or something?

Someone else with samey ASIC scores as yours, managed crazy high clocks, one of the highest is seen.
http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2367095

My 69% ASIC card overclocks better than my 76%. There are more factors to overclocking than just ASIC.

Lexxism

The 980 ti is 800-900 CAD in Canada (depending on brand). Should I get one or is that price ridiculous?
It's up to you. With our dollar keeps on falling, the price might change in a month or so. Also, I read that the dollar might even fall below 75 next month. It's going to be shitty from here onwards. This is actually make me consider buying the Acer 1440p IPS now instead of waiting ROG Swift IPS.

ZOONAMI

I'm using a BIOS that prevents throttling so it stays at a rock solid 1520. I can see everything via the Afterburner OSD.

On stock bios, the clocks range from 1470 - 1520 depending on the card temps. Once both cards hit 70 degrees, I was pretty much at 1470. The reason I used a custom bios is because I can maintain those clocks while both cards still stay at 75 or under. Yay for great airflow.

My 69% ASIC card overclocks better than my 76%. There are more factors to overclocking than just ASIC.

ASIC has nothing to do with max OC, just how much voltage you need to get to max OC. Do a bios flash on your 69% card for more voltage and the thing will fly even more. Lower asic means you need more voltage to get to max oc. Higher asic means you don't really need to add any voltage to get to the upper limits of what the card can do.

For example, my 970 with a 62% ASIC OCs for shit with a stock bios. Modded bios with 1.275 volts it hits 1500/8000 no problem.

jester_

I have a price watching app set up to tell me when the 980Ti Hybrid goes up on Amazon, and add one to cart and go to check out, but I still haven't seen it in stock once.

I WANT A CLC ON MY 980Ti DAMNIT

WNnYevE.gif

spannicus

I have a price watching app set up to tell me when the 980Ti Hybrid goes up on Amazon, and add one to cart and go to check out, but I still haven't seen it in stock once.

I WANT A CLC ON MY 980Ti DAMNIT

WNnYevE.gif
Just installed my cooler. Idling at 24c. Now im gonna try to overclock.

x3sphere

I think your OC is not completely stable if you are getting TDRs. My 980 Ti seems to max out around 1400 MHz boost. I tried going up to 1450 and it will run fine in other games, but TDR in Witcher 3. But at around 1400 I have no crashes at all.

Thorgal

Had to lower the memory clock from 500 to 450 but now with an hour of playing TW3 without any crashing i think i am game stable .

Picture taken right after running heaven for an hour .

naamloosdeqqk.png

spannicus

Just installed a hybrid cooler to 980 ti. Should i leave everything at reference settings or change fan curve? I know stock hybrid's core clock is 1140. Reference is 1000. Tried to flash bios to hybrid version but no go.

Wag

Oh shit. I spent all day installing the HCP-1300 and installed both 980Tis. Played Witcher 3 for a about 2hrs @ stock speed and it locked.:( I have no idea what's going on. I think my motherboard or CPU is fried.

Shit. 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

On top of that I'm having a root canal which will cost me >$3000. I can't afford to buy a new PC right now after just investing >$1200 in new videocards.

This all started when I upgraded to 2 980Tis. Had no problems at all with 3 OG 6GB Titans. I guess the next thing to do is to RMA both 980Tis. I can't honestly think of anything else. 😢

ASIC has nothing to do with max OC, just how much voltage you need to get to max OC. Do a bios flash on your 69% card for more voltage and the thing will fly even more. Lower asic means you need more voltage to get to max oc. Higher asic means you don't really need to add any voltage to get to the upper limits of what the card can do.

For example, my 970 with a 62% ASIC OCs for shit with a stock bios. Modded bios with 1.275 volts it hits 1500/8000 no problem.

I don't think I have enough cooling for 1.275. I'm running both my cards at 1.250. I can keep the temps at 75 degrees, but any more heat would require louder fan speeds which I've been trying to avoid.

Oh shit. I spent all day installing the HCP-1300 and installed both 980Tis. Played Witcher 3 for a about 2hrs @ stock speed and it locked.:( I have no idea what's going on. I think my motherboard or CPU is fried.
Define "locked." TDR crash?

LQX

Shit. 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

On top of that I'm having a root canal which will cost me >$3000. I can't afford to buy a new PC right now after just investing >$1200 in new videocards.

This all started when I upgraded to 2 980Tis. Had no problems at all with 3 OG 6GB Titans. I guess the next thing to do is to RMA both 980Tis. I can't honestly think of anything else. 😢
Make sure it is not your power supply. Few weeks back I thought I had lost my system. Damn near replaced every part not for a second thinking it was the PSU when it was it all along. The damn thing even powered on my fans but with no video or motherboard indicators I not settle on it being the culprit.

Wag

I don't think I have enough cooling for 1.275. I'm running both my cards at 1.250. I can keep the temps at 75 degrees, but any more heat would require louder fan speeds which I've been trying to avoid.

Define "locked." TDR crash?

This is a brand new PS. I just swapped it out today.

Nope. Hard lock. 😢

I just played some Mordor at stock and it CTD on an error. I have no idea what's wrong but obviously something is making my system unstable. The only new elements are the 980Tis (and now the PS).

Sigh.....

Me: I'm going to spend a lot of money on high end Nvidia cards in SLI, get a Gsync monitor, then enable DSR!

Nvidia: HAHAHAHAHA that won't work you loser.

Wag

Sigh.....

Me: I'm going to spend a lot of money on high end Nvidia cards in SLI, get a Gsync monitor, then enable DSR!

Nvidia: HAHAHAHAHA that won't work you loser.

DSR? Just get a 4k display or if you really care about Gsync get a Gsync 4k display (I'd wait for one larger than 28" to come out). I'm happy with my 48" 4k display. Now if I could only get my damn setup to work... 😭

I'd rather not have a 4K display for the times when I want to play at 2560x1440 for performance reasons. Makes no sense for DSR to not work with SLI + GSync.

This is a brand new PS. I just swapped it out today.

Nope. Hard lock. 😢

I just played some Mordor at stock and it CTD on an error. I have no idea what's wrong but obviously something is making my system unstable. The only new elements are the 980Tis (and now the PS).

have you tried running a single card to see if the problem is still there?

Wag

have you tried running a single card to see if the problem is still there?

I ran Valley all last night while I was sleeping and woke to a Windows desktop so it looks like my PC restarted. Not good. Next I'll remove my CPU's o/c (which has been stable for 3yrs so I doubt that is the problem, but you never know).

Then I'll remove a card. I did that before with the older PSU and I still had problems. I didn't when I bought the first 980Ti new, but as soon as I added the second card and removed it I still was having shutdowns even after I removed it. I think the damn 980Ti screwed my setup.:(

Arkanius

Guys how weaker is a 980 Ti reference compared to the Gigabyte G1 version?
The G1 is extra expensive here in Europe for some reason. Is the cooler that much better In terms of silence and temperature?

Rolfgang

Guys how weaker is a 980 Ti reference compared to the Gigabyte G1 version?
The G1 is extra expensive here in Europe for some reason. Is the cooler that much better In terms of silence and temperature?

Where do you live? In The Netherlands the difference is 25 - 30 euros...

Wag

My computer is all fucked up since I added these damn 980Ti's. 😢 First I removed my CPU's o/c and then ran Valley- within 5min my new PSU shutdown. Reboot. Then reran Valley- ran >6hrs+ no problems. I have no idea what's going on. 😫

ZOONAMI

Got my G1, does 1300 core, boosting to just over 1500mhz. Does 8000 memory. If I do even 1310 on the core I get artifacts. So that's the limit. Might be able to push the memory a bit more. Very satisified. Almost 21000 firestrike score. ASIC is only 66%, but no big deal. Will maybe flash the bios for more voltage.

knitoe

My computer is all fucked up since I added these damn 980Ti's. 😢 First I removed my CPU's o/c and then ran Valley- within 5min my new PSU shutdown. Reboot. Then reran Valley- ran >6hrs+ no problems. I have no idea what's going on. 😫

Enough power for your setup? What's your PSU?

Waikis

Get an acer X34 or X35 in a couple of months - 3440x1440 ultra wide 100/144Hz gsync :)

How's that going to solve his problem?

In any case, the freesync version of X34 is 75hz, so we'll have to wait and see if they've really bumped it to 100hz for X34 GSYNC.
Also, X35 would be 2560x1080, unfortunately.

Is it really true that I must use the OC Guru software to get the full benefit of the GTX 980 TI G1 card? I read in a review that you are forced to use it if you want the OC mode settings, otherwise you lose a bit of performance.

I would like to use Precision X to overclock my cards as it allows me to lock frame-rate etc.. I hope Gigabyte didn't do something this stupid.

Is it really true that I must use the OC Guru software to get the full benefit of the GTX 980 TI G1 card? I read in a review that you are forced to use it if you want the OC mode settings, otherwise you lose a bit of performance.

I would like to use Precision X to overclock my cards as it allows me to lock frame-rate etc.. I hope Gigabyte didn't do something this stupid.

I haven't touched OC Guru except to change the LED colors. OC mode simply increase the core clock a little but, but you can do the exact same thing in Afterburner or Precision.

I chased what looked like a PSU issue for a few days after going from a GTX 980 to 980 Ti. I swapped the PSU, set everything back to clock speeds, and was still getting constant crashes that looked like the PSU was giving up. On a whim I fired up DDU and it showed that the GTX 980 was still listed as a display adapter. I cleaned out everything, reinstalled the 353.30 drivers, and haven't had a crash in the subsequent weeks. If you're having inexplicable crashes on what used to be a stable system after going to a 980 Ti (even if you came from NVIDIA previously), try running DDU and reinstalling drivers.

I haven't touched OC Guru except to change the LED colors. OC mode simply increase the core clock a little but, but you can do the exact same thing in Afterburner or Precision.

Thank you so much man, it was making me panic I know it is a stupid question so I apologise,anyway the card is on its way and I cant wait.

Just one last question jim,what was the default led colour before you installed OC Guru to change it?

Thanks.

Just installed a hybrid cooler to 980 ti. Should i leave everything at reference settings or change fan curve? I know stock hybrid's core clock is 1140. Reference is 1000. Tried to flash bios to hybrid version but no go.

Which cooler/adapter did you end up getting? Thinking about adding one to my EVGA 980ti.

Thought I might try to break 22k graphics score with a custom bios, but 21800 is the best I can do.

0BZFyjI.png

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7823539?

And JUST shy of 5100 graphics in Ultra

rkJmfJd.png

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5453290

Thank you so much man, it was making me panic I know it is a stupid question so I apologise,anyway the card is on its way and I cant wait.

Just one last question jim,what was the default led colour before you installed OC Guru to change it?

Thanks.

I don't even remember. I'm pretty sure the default color is white. And after changing it to the various colors, I wound up defaulting back to white anyways :p

I don't even remember. I'm pretty sure the default color is white. And after changing it to the various colors, I wound up defaulting back to white anyways :p

I might just leave it on default then as I like the white led colour, then again blue wouldn't be so bad,thanks man appreciate the quick replies.

YRQ0Euv.png

I wish I knew why this would happen. < 60 FPS @ 2560x1440 is pathetic on 2 980TIs in SLI, let alone on 1 980TI. GPU usage is ~40% on each card. WTF.....

I've been wondering if my Intel i5 3.0GHz CPU is going to be a bottleneck for most games if I get the 980 Ti and try to go high graphics.

I'm ready to spend crazy amounts on a GPU so I'm not really willing to buy a new expensive CPU too.

Sorry, meant to say, that's BF4. Sometimes I get ~70% usage on each card and that's when I'm hitting 120-144 FPS. But sometimes it will drop way low, and of course that's when I see crazy dips to 60-70 FPS. Maybe that's just to be expected in a 64 player game but it's still very jarring.

knitoe

Sorry, meant to say, that's BF4. Sometimes I get ~70% usage on each card and that's when I'm hitting 120-144 FPS. But sometimes it will drop way low, and of course that's when I see crazy dips to 60-70 FPS. Maybe that's just to be expected in a 64 player game but it's still very jarring.

Enable CPU Usage monitoring so you can see what the CPU % compare with your GPU %. That why you can tell if you CPU is the bottleneck.

Top Bottom