• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just picked mine up from a UPS collection point. Didn't realise Overclockers did this.

RrqPVb4.jpg

pAymJwA.jpg

£600 well spent!

what exactly is circled in this pic? I dont get it.

That 980 Ti Kingpin is too much.

What kind of overclocks do Kingpin cards usually achieve that makes them worth the huge premium over other high end customs?

It uh.... overclocks pretty good.

k|ngp|n said:
As far as the LN2 overclocking, I wanted it to be like a TANK and be able to run over and over and over again at very high voltages/current and not be flaky. I literally benched one the other day at 2025mhz/1.7v+ for many hrs hrs straight just doing some pcb heater testing/tuing., I only stopped when I lost the grease.

kpjolee

That 980 Ti Kingpin is too much.

What kind of overclocks do Kingpin cards usually achieve that makes them worth the huge premium over other high end customs?

Probably only good for LN2 overclocking. It is not worth getting for air or even water cooling afaik.

Wag

I don't pretend to know the important of 12v rails.... but my GPU only has 1? Is that.... bad?

It's an EVGA Supernova P2 1000w

1 12v+ rail is adequate. It really depends on the PS, how many W it is, how many devices you are using, etc, etc. 4 is excellent- there are some PSUs with 6 12v+ rails. Those cost a mint. I'm pretty sure with my PS I could run 4 GPUs if I wanted. You can also run 2 of these PSUs in tandem- the Bitcoin miners like to use these for that reason.

Lexxism

Hey guys, just wondering, is this pcie setup for my msi 980 ti correct? I wasn't the one who set up the pc as I never done it before, so I'm not sure.. seems to me it's 1 8pin power split into 2x 8pin?

596a7f47-7518-4912-a558-a9e21c008bcb_zpsh8imfa9q.jpg

Also I'm getting vrel and pwr for perfcap reason when running firestrike. Do they mean anything bad? The firestrike combined score fluctuates between 7000s and 7600s @_@
We have the same PCIE cable but instead of using the split 8-pin PCIE I used the 2 PCIE cable instead of using the split. I guess you never had any problem with it. What's your graphic scores and how high is your core clock?

Arex

We have the same PCIE cable but instead of using the split 8-pin PCIE I used the 2 PCIE cable instead of using the split. I guess you never had any problem with it. What's your graphic scores and how high is your core clock?

I see.. using the split, I'm guessing the gpu is getting less power than it potentially can use? I still have spare pcie cable if I need to. I'm using M12II 750w psu.

I got this score just now with 1453mhz core and 7560mhz mem, didn't change any voltage or anything.
Graphics score of 20k is quite consistent, but yesterday I'm getting low 7000s combined score instead of 8371 I'm getting now haha

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5424307

baphomet

I see.. using the split, I'm guessing the gpu is getting less power than it potentially can use? I still have spare pcie cable if I need to. I'm using M12II 750w psu.

I got this score just now with 1453mhz core and 7560mhz mem, didn't change any voltage or anything.
Graphics score of 20k is quite consistent, but yesterday I'm getting low 7000s combined score instead of 8371 I'm getting now haha

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5424307

The GPU gets the same amount of power with the single cable. Using 2 for a single card wouldn't do anything that put an extra cable in the case.

I'm new to this overclocking thing, I can push my card to 1430mhz without ever touching the voltage setting, does raising it really hurts the hardware like my overclocking software said?

paskowitz

Thanks. Have been thinking about it a potential purchase.

Just make sure you understand a couple things (I currently have a Hybrid)

1. You will want to replace the stock fan if you want your PC to be silent. I recommend the Noctua nf-f12 industrialppc PWM fan
2. You will likely hit this cards power limit (110%) if you overclock. While you may be able to get to 1500Mhz, don't expect it to consistently stay there. (Full disclosure I got a mediocre card and the best it can manage is 1450-1475Mhz).
3. The card has a blower style cooler in addition to the AIO water block. This means if you have a front mounted AIO CPU cooler, it will blow warm air into the GPU. This isn't a necessarily going to have a huge negative impact, it is just something you should be aware of when laying out your system.

Other than that, once you replace the fan, expect absolutely silent gaming. Also the card itself radiates very little heat into your case (BC of the blower+water block). This makes it super ideal for small form factor cases. 1080p 100fps+, 1440p 75-100fps, 4k 45-70fps. The only games at 4k that have dipped below 60fps have been Assisin's Creed Unity, Metro Last Light, pCARS, Crysis 3, GTAV, and The Witcher 3. Overclocking adds at least 10-20fps in most games.

2. You will likely hit this cards power limit (110%) if you overclock. While you may be able to get to 1500Mhz, don't expect it to consistently stay there. (Full disclosure I got a mediocre card and the best it can manage is 1450-1475Mhz).

I hit the power limit on the Gigabyte G1 card pretty easily. The default max is 130%, and that is based on 300w rather than the 250w I think the EVGA cards are set to. So yeah, you definitely want more power limit to avoid throttling. Best way to do this is to mod the bios or use a custom bios already created (there's one on overclock.net used for maximizing cards on water).

Arex

The GPU gets the same amount of power with the single cable. Using 2 for a single card wouldn't do anything that put an extra cable in the case.

So 2 separate 8pin pcie cables won't be of any difference? Anyway it seems to run fine right now so I won't try change anything yet haha

And I'm quite okay with the card so far, the temp seems good at 74C max, though I haven't really put it in use for an extended time. I'll try push the gpu past 1453mhz when I've read more about OC haha :)

So I got the Gigabyte Windforce 980ti. Dat LED o/

I was gonna get G1 before, but it's never in stock :(. The pc would've looked better, all black and white!

paskowitz

I hit the power limit on the Gigabyte G1 card pretty easily. The default max is 130%, and that is based on 300w rather than the 250w I think the EVGA cards are set to. So yeah, you definitely want more power limit to avoid throttling. Best way to do this is to mod the bios or use a custom bios already created (there's one on overclock.net used for maximizing cards on water).

I plan on doing this... just not yet. My card stays pretty cool (50c) when under max load. I would like to push it to the 60c's range. I think I will be limited to 300w due to the 6+8 pin. In order to get significantly better results, I will probably have to order an extra card or two, hopefully luck out with a good one and then sell the extras on eBay (the mark ups are crazy ATM). Upping the voltage doesn't really work on Maxwell... that well. My Hybrid and Classified (as well as Kingpin's posts) have made that abundantly clear. Although, I am eager to see what I can do on my Classified with the LN2 bios and its 145% power target.

I was debating investing in SLI Classifieds and then going custom loop, but I think that investment will be better saved for when I do a whole new system build with Cannonlake, Pascal and a micro ATX mobo and case.

______

Separate topic. Does anyone here have an Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97 mobo? Experiences?

When you can get $425 for a used non-reference 980 and Amazon gives you stupid good money for trading in textbooks... it is a no brainer. I was actually shocked how easily my 980 sold give the price drop and the 980 ti.

That's really good to hear. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ti and was hoping to flip my lightly used 980 for a decent price. $400 ish USD was my target, because that's a bit over $500 here in Canada. I need that 980ti in my life.

longdi

Banned
I really like the look of the card, complements my PC well.

Also I got 77.2% ASIC quality.

PNnjvwY.png

That is a great one!
You probably can get 1510-1530mhz boost clocks out of default voltages, almost 50% more than Nvidia standard issued 980Ti!
What res you playing, 'cause it is time to do some frame capping or DSR with that kind of speeds.

Wag

As I said before ASIC doesn't mean much. I have a ACX 2.0+ (non-OC) with a 77.1% ASIC and I can only get it up to ~1400. Same for my other one that is 70%.

My 69% ASIC card OCs better than my 76.5% ASIC card. And they both OC better than the 79.6% ASIC EVGA SC+ card I have sitting around (which is for sale!)

longdi

Banned
As I said before ASIC doesn't mean much. I have a ACX 2.0+ (non-OC) with a 77.1% ASIC and I can only get it up to ~1400. Same for my other one that is 70%.

On reference design it does not matter 'cause you are limited by power tdp. EVGA SC are stock nvidia designs.

On customs pcb like G1, the higher tdp will allow the ASIC to stretch its legs for reals. ASIC quality very much applies to Maxwell chips moreso than any others it would seem. If you got a dogged ASIC, it does not matter what customs pcb it is placed in, it will overclock like a dog.

You can try to flash yours with a higher tdp bios, kinda wasted for that 77% chip, it will help although we wont know if your pcb can take the added load long term. It is worth the calculated risk with EVGA good rma support and well, you are likely to upgrade to Pascal by next years end. :p

laxu

On customs pcb like G1, the higher tdp will allow the ASIC to stretch its legs for reals. ASIC quality very much applies to Maxwell chips moreso than any others it would seem. If you got a dogged ASIC, it does not matter what customs pcb it is placed in, it will overclock like a dog.

I don't think there is all that much correlation between ASIC quality and overclocks. There are people who are achieving high clocks at <70 ASIC. It's just silicon lottery and I wouldn't rule out a card just because it has a low or high ASIC. Most sit at between 70 and 80, my previous Gigabyte G1 was 76.6% and my current MSI is 73.8% and on air they overclocked very similarly.

The 980 Tis run hot and I would heartily recommend AIO cooler versions. The Gigabyte G1 was unreasonably loud for me (coming from 2x Gigabyte 970 which were quiet to my ears). I got the MSI, and while it's a lot quieter and more pleasant overall fan noise, even at modest 1450 MHz overclocks it was running around 75°C. Mounted a NZXT G10 bracket and Corsair H55 cooler on it and now I'm seeing 20 degrees lower temps with far less noise at higher overclocks. Expensive but was worth it for me.

Unfortunately it seems the 980 Tis even when watercooled don't seem to go much beyond 1500 MHz stable.

OraleeWey

Just make sure you understand a couple things (I currently have a Hybrid)

1. You will want to replace the stock fan if you want your PC to be silent. I recommend the Noctua nf-f12 industrialppc PWM fan
3. The card has a blower style cooler in addition to the AIO water block. This means if you have a front mounted AIO CPU cooler, it will blow warm air into the GPU. This isn't a necessarily going to have a huge negative impact, it is just something you should be aware of when laying out your system.

Other than that, once you replace the fan, expect absolutely silent gaming. Also the card itself radiates very little heat into your case (BC of the blower+water block). This makes it super ideal for small form factor cases. 1080p 100fps+, 1440p 75-100fps, 4k 45-70fps. The only games at 4k that have dipped below 60fps have been Assisin's Creed Unity, Metro Last Light, pCARS, Crysis 3, GTAV, and The Witcher 3. Overclocking adds at least 10-20fps in most games.

Sorry I hadn't seen your post.

I currently have the phanteks CPU cooler but I am thinking of replacing that to the H110 (AIO is water cooled?) 140mm water cooler. I will replace the fans to the Corsair LED SP140. This will be mounted on the top of my corsair 540 case as a pull configuration.

If I do buy the hybrid, I will set the fan on the rear of the case as pull. I hope this isn't an issue having 2 radiators like this? The H110 takes two fans.

Is the fan on the hybrid a static pressure? Is it 120mm or 140mm? What do you think about the Corsair SP140 LED fans? Does the Noctua perform better?

laxu

Sorry I hadn't seen your post.

I currently have the phanteks CPU cooler but I am thinking of replacing that to the H110 (AIO is water cooled?) 140mm water cooler. I will replace the fans to the Corsair LED SP140. This will be mounted on the top of my corsair 540 case as a pull configuration.

Is it the massive Phanteks PH-TC14PE? Replacing that will probably do nothing for your CPU temps but will of course give you more space. I was able to mount the Corsair H55 radiator next to the Phanteks but had to put the fan on the outside of the case.

You'll definitely want some sort of fan controller for radiator fans. Possibly the pump as well as they can make a little noise unless you drop their speed slightly (should have no effect on performance).

OraleeWey

Just replace it with a sp120, I plan on putting two on it.
Nice. Push-Pull.
Is it the massive Phanteks PH-TC14PE? Replacing that will probably do nothing for your CPU temps but will of course give you more space. I was able to mount the Corsair H55 radiator next to the Phanteks but had to put the fan on the outside of the case.

You'll definitely want some sort of fan controller for radiator fans. Possibly the pump as well as they can make a little noise unless you drop their speed slightly (should have no effect on performance).
Yes those masive ones. Mainly doing it for space and less vibration. Can you control 2 fans with a Y splitter for fan controller?

As I've said in the PC thread, I'm thinking of going for a single GTX 980 TI(G1 version) and getting rid of my G1 GTX 970 SLI setup.

I'm just curious if anyone here had a similar gpu setup and went for the G1 GTX 980 TI edition and barely noticed a difference in performance or even increased performance.

Even if there is no performance increase I wouldn't care as I just think 3.5GB limit is affecting me and the SLI support is just not there for some games.

baphomet

As I've said in the PC thread, I'm thinking of going for a single GTX 980 TI(G1 version) and getting rid of my G1 GTX 970 SLI setup.

I'm just curious if anyone here had a similar gpu setup and went for the G1 GTX 980 TI edition and barely noticed a difference in performance or even increased performance.

Even if there is no performance increase I wouldn't care as I just think 3.5GB limit is affecting me and the SLI support is just not there for some games.

Performance was fairly similar. Games that took advantage of sli ran better with the 970s. Games that didn't ran better with the 980 ti.

Thorgal

Only had a few minutes to try out my MSI 980 ti on the OC pain bank but it looks promising .

Core clock went up to 1500 mhz on stock volt and air .

Will see how far i can push memory .

ASIC score was 74.6 if anyone is curious .

Parsnip

With 980Ti being the new hotness, are there any price drops in sight for the lower tier cards like 970? As it is right now, the euro price is still a bit too rich for my blood, but I really really need to upgrade my 2gig 760 sooner rather than later.

longdi

Banned
I don't think there is all that much correlation between ASIC quality and overclocks. There are people who are achieving high clocks at <70 ASIC. It's just silicon lottery and I wouldn't rule out a card just because it has a low or high ASIC. Most sit at between 70 and 80, my previous Gigabyte G1 was 76.6% and my current MSI is 73.8% and on air they overclocked very similarly.

The 980 Tis run hot and I would heartily recommend AIO cooler versions. The Gigabyte G1 was unreasonably loud for me (coming from 2x Gigabyte 970 which were quiet to my ears). I got the MSI, and while it's a lot quieter and more pleasant overall fan noise, even at modest 1450 MHz overclocks it was running around 75°C. Mounted a NZXT G10 bracket and Corsair H55 cooler on it and now I'm seeing 20 degrees lower temps with far less noise at higher overclocks. Expensive but was worth it for me.

Unfortunately it seems the 980 Tis even when watercooled don't seem to go much beyond 1500 MHz stable.

I agree you need to cool those gm200 chips. However if all temps and power limit are kept constant, the one with high asic have been overclocking higher. This is the phenomenal noted with gm200 chips.

Maxwell don't seem to response to addition voltages. I have not seen reports of less than 70% 980ti gaming stable at 1500mhz, not on many forums I visited

longdi

Banned
Only had a few minutes to try out my MSI 980 ti on the OC pain bank but it looks promising .

Core clock went up to 1500 mhz on stock volt and air .

Will see how far i can push memory .

ASIC score was 74.6 if anyone is curious .

Your asic % matches the reported core clocking speeds. Congratulations on the silicon win. Now to test with real games. Suggest TW3, seems like a game that shows off the real stability.

Thorgal

Your asic % matches the reported core clocking speeds. Congratulations on the silicon win. Now to test with real games. Suggest TW3, seems like a game that shows off the real stability.

Was a great payoff after all the problems and additional upgrades i had to do on my PC .
Thankfully , i got the card pretty much for free .

I thought TW3 did not like OCd cards in general ?

dr_rus

With 980Ti being the new hotness, are there any price drops in sight for the lower tier cards like 970? As it is right now, the euro price is still a bit too rich for my blood, but I really really need to upgrade my 2gig 760 sooner rather than later.
Unlikely as everything below 980 is in a rather good place compared to the competition. I can see them dropping 980 a couple of points down though as it is badly positioned between 390X and Fury vanilla. But that won't happen until Fury Nano hits the street.

Was a great payoff after all the problems and additional upgrades i had to do on my PC .

I always thought that was kinda BS?

The game is stable with both my cards running at 1520 \ 7800 for a few hours.

knitoe

There are no program that can test and show that your overclocking is 100% stable. But, TW3 is a games really pushes the GPU, and many times, it shows what people's thought stable OC was not.

Top Bottom