• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

ZOONAMI

Yes. And a higher ASIC value will not scale as well with added voltage either. This is why people say that lower ASIC cards are better for water cooling and LN2 cooling. Also confuses me as to why EVGA would charge more for higher ASIC Kingpin cards.

Maxwell is different though, because the cards aren't going to accept much more voltage. So with Maxwell lower ASIC isn't really desirable even for water cooling or ln2. At least that's my understanding.

Kingpin -

Cards with very good ASIC value (75% and up) will tend to have the most "overclocking", but just like about every other maxwell gpu, they cannot overvolt past 1.23v-1.25v.
So highest asic cards like 80% +are almost always going to be the ones that can 1600+ on air/water, and again they do it pretty much WITHOUT overvolting over 1.23v-1.25v. Maxwell gpus with lower asic value like 65% will not be so great at air/water because these low asic gpus need voltage to scale compared to match the overclock of the high asic gpus( USING SAME USABLE VOLTAGE 1.23-1.25v)

Maxwell is different though, because the cards aren't going to accept much more voltage. See Kingpin's comments earlier in the thread. So with Maxwell lower ASIC isn't really desirable even for water cooling or ln2. At least that's my understanding.

Yeah I mentioned that same quote earlier in the thread, but I wasn't entirely sure how that related to LN2\water cooling. But it makes sense. Either that, or he's just saying that in order to back up EVGA's pricing model :p

This is wrong though, unity works exactly as it should on appropriate hardware. Ask Durante if you don't believe me.

It's also one of the best looking games every created. Amazing use of PBR, shit tons of NPCs on screen, Global GI (baked, but still gorgeous). Just too bad about the LOD....

Rolfgang

The thing broke all the immersion of Unity was the absolutely horrendous pop-in. They were almost building Paris in front of my eyes.

ZOONAMI

Yeah I mentioned that same quote earlier in the thread, but I wasn't entirely sure how that related to LN2water cooling. But it makes sense. Either that, or he's just saying that in order to back up EVGA's pricing model :p

It's also one of the best looking games every created. Amazing use of PBR, shit tons of NPCs on screen, Global GI (baked, but still gorgeous). Just too bad about the LOD....

I can confirm that pushing the voltage in the bios on a 980 ti beyond 1.231 is not stable, regardless of temps. The 970s will comfortably go to 1.31. Not sure about a 980 as I've never had one. In the bios flashing threads on overclock.net people have found the voltage limits that the Maxwell's will accept.

ZOONAMI

I will say I'm not very impressed with the quality control on these 980 tis, have RMAd 2 of them due to temps. Hotter than my old 290x with the reference cooler.

UnrealEck

I will say I'm not very impressed with the quality control on these 980 tis, have RMAd 2 of them due to temps. Hotter than my old 290x with the reference cooler.

Mine has 3 fans and it gets pretty hot. Gets up to about as hot as my old Kepler card, though this card is a lot more powerful. I expected Maxwell to run cooler than this.
My card has to have fans at about 60% or a bit more to keep it around 80c under full load. But that's with a small overclock, though without extra voltage so I can't see the overclock being a big heat contributer.

PFD

Which card is the least likely to get coil whine? I was eyeing the Gigabyte G1 and Zotac Amp! Extreme, but the reviews mentioned lots of coil whine

mario_O

This isn't true. Ryse, GTA V, and Assassin's Creed Unity all would need additional settings turned down to keep a locked 60FPS @ 1440P. I'm sure that's the case with plenty of other games as well, but I haven't played every game so i can't say for certain. Future games are only going to get more demanding from here. I feel like the tech enthusiast crowd can be a bit short-sited at times. I remember, only a few months ago, the GTX 970 and 980 were "complete overkill" for 1080P.

1440p? I can't get GTA V locked at 60fps @1080p with max settings. And that's with an overclocked 980 ti MSI gaming 6. I need to turn down the grass setting, AA, view distance, and it still goes down to the 50's occasionally. The 980 ti is not overkill for 1080p.

1440p? I can't get GTA V locked at 60fps @1080p with max settings. And that's with an overclocked 980 ti MSI gaming 6. I need to turn down the grass setting, AA, view distance, and it still goes down to the 50's occasionally. The 980 ti is not overkill for 1080p.

Thank you.

mintylurb

My evga 980 ti sc usually stays around 64-67c while playing witcher 3(clock hits 1383 mhurtz iirc). Though I'm play at 1080P without hairworks. While running heaven, temp goes upto 76c.

spannicus

I don't plan on overclocking. Which hybrid would you recommend?
I bought reference 980ti. Had it for a month. Witcher 3 would take it up to 83c quick but wouldnt go past it. Looked online for watercooling methods and found out evga has an all in one cooler for it you can purchase separately. The hybrid card itself is hard to find but amazon and evga offer the cooler on their website if you can get one before they sell out. 100 bucks for the cooler. Install was easy and temps dropped by half damn near. Ill post a link for you.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQ4PFX2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the cooler and shroud only.
Forgot to mention there are cheaper alternatives to cooling. I think some of the Corsair water cooling kits will also work the same way. There are a bunch of people who use those also. I would suggest the evga one because you dont have to do any extra modding to the kit. Good luck hope u find one you like.

cackhyena

Thanks. Usually ships in one to two months...yeesh. I gotta go with Newegg anyway. Credit sitting there. I think I'll just stick with the plan for a G1 and hope for the best. I'm curious why they don't show anything about the dl code that comes with these things on there. Can't seem to find any info so I'd know when the switch happens from Arkham Knight to The Phantom pain.

Oh baby. I like Windows 10.

aPqDK2v.png

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7847200?

That's 300 points higher in the ultra graphics score at the exact same clock speeds.

Glass

Initially I thought something was wrong with my set up, but I think I've learnt WoW is a terrible game to test FPS out on, it varies so much depending on where you are. 200 FPS in Ironforge (with plenty of other players there), 50-60 FFPS in my garrison.

And I'm loving my G1 Gaming, very silent, runs cool, but the 'white' LED option is really, really not white. Bit bummed about that. In photo's its coming out white and looks great but in person it's definitely a light teal. I suppose if that's the only gripe I have, it means it's a pretty good card! Here it is in it's home:

ntJGhZB.jpg

mintylurb

Initially I thought something was wrong with my set up, but I think I've learnt WoW is a terrible game to test FPS out on, it varies so much depending on where you are. 200 FPS in Ironforge (with plenty of other players there), 50-60 FFPS in my garrison.

And I'm loving my G1 Gaming, very silent, runs cool, but the 'white' LED option is really, really not white. Bit bummed about that. In photo's its coming out white and looks great but in person it's definitely a light teal. I suppose if that's the only gripe I have, it means it's a pretty good card! Here it is in it's home:

ntJGhZB.jpg

I have the same corsair case..what happened to your hdd cages? ;0 Did you put your hdds in the 5.25 drive bays?

Glass

I have the same corsair case..what happened to your hdd cages? ;0 Did you put your hdds in the 5.25 drive bays?

Heh, they were there from 2011 up until I bought a modular PSU a month back, which was the first step towards really tidying up my case. The cages took up sooo much room, they're really easy to take out, and yeah I bought a 5.25 tray adapter fairly cheaply and thats where my HDD sat for a few weeks until I fried it alive by mixing up my modular plugs, but that's another story! My ssd is hidden round the back. Looks wise I much prefer it and I figure it helps air flow a lot. It's no wonder smaller cases seem to be alot more popular these days, once you figure out where else to put a HDD, there's a ridiculous amount of room left over.

mintylurb

Heh, they were there from 2011 up until I bought a modular PSU a month back, which was the first step towards really tidying up my case. The cages took up sooo much room, they're really easy to take out, and yeah I bought a 5.25 tray adapter fairly cheaply and thats where my HDD sat for a few weeks until I fried it alive by mixing up my modular plugs, but that's another story! My ssd is hidden round the back. Looks wise I much prefer it and I figure it helps air flow a lot. It's no wonder smaller cases seem to be alot more popular these days, once you figure out where else to put a HDD, there's a ridiculous amount of room left over.

Oh I see. I have three hdds below blocking the airflow somewhat. Guess it's time for me upgrade to ssd and place it around the back like you did.

Glass

The two HDD cases are separate, so you could always take out one, super simple fix. But at the same time, I'm not sure anyone whose swapped to SSD's ever regreat it! But yeah, its a great case with a lot of options. Absolutely dwarfs the 28cm long G1 gaming.

WoW is CPU bound and doesn't make very good use of multiple cores since it's a singled threaded game. IIRC it improved multicore support with Mists of Pandaria and they probably continued more optimizations with Warlords of Draenor but I don't know, I stopped following WoW for the most part two and a half years ago, it's certainly not the best game to do benchmarks with these days.

WoW is CPU bound and doesn't make very good use of multiple cores since it's a singled threaded game. IIRC it improved multicore support with Mists of Pandaria and they probably continued more optimizations with Warlords of Draenor but I don't know, I stopped following WoW for the most part two and a half years ago, it's certainly not the best game to do benchmarks with these days.

MMO clients are in general CPU bound. WoW is nothing special there. However nothing is a better test of your minimum framerate in a game after a CPU upgrade than an MMO.

I broke down and have joined the club. I ordered the MSI Gaming 6G one even though I probably didn't need it, but damn did I want it. Hopefully it gets here before the weekend. I am a big fan of their 980 6G visually and cooling wise, it's what I've got in my case now. Now I just need to find a new home for my 980.

By soon they mean next thursday, that is July 23rd. I work at a retail store in my country and we got the official info yesterday. The game will be included with every GPU, GTX 960, 970, 980 and 980ti.

Here's hoping Newegg.ca is nice and will give me a code for buying a card a day early.

Tovarisc

So any idea when the MGS5 promotion is supposed to start? I'm holding off on my card, and my whole new build till then.

I'm wondering as well. Does Newegg not show that stuff on the card's page? I can't see anything regarding promo codes on my card's page.

josecitoxnyo;
"By soon they mean next thursday, that is July 23rd. I work at a retail store in my country and we got the official info yesterday. The game will be included with every GPU, GTX 960, 970, 980 and 980ti."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172175119&postcount=88

So I got my G1 in, and it's kicking ass, but I noticed that the OC Guru software Gigabyte provides seems to reset every power cycle? Should I switch to something else like MSI Afterburner, or is this an intended feature built into software like this?

So I got my G1 in, and it's kicking ass, but I noticed that the OC Guru software Gigabyte provides seems to reset every power cycle? Should I switch to something else like MSI Afterburner, or is this an intended feature built into software like this?

yep, my oc and leds reset every restart. what a terrible program.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
you know what kinda bothers me...

The 980 TI got all this non-reference coolers and the titan x is only rolling with the stock blower or hyro cooling.

GRANTED I know the they never do but man throw me a bone lol

x3sphere

Kingpin review - http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...reviewed-evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html

the card weighs ~1.5kg, but the cooling is excellent thanks to all that copper. They have two cards, one with an ASIC of 77.8% (which is what they used in the review), and another with an ASIC of 80.9%.
They'll be doing some tests in the next few days to see how they compare in terms of overclocking.

Over 30% faster than a Titan X in some of those benches, jesus.

edit: their benches are kinda screwy though, http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html?start=13

390X faster than a TX at 4K in GTA V? Seems like they got some numbers mixed up.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
I have a 780Ti currently and I'm thinking of getting a 4k monitor. Would it be worth it to sell mine and get a 980Ti or should I wait for the next 22nm Ti card?

Oh baby. I like Windows 10.

aPqDK2v.png

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7847200?

That's 300 points higher in the ultra graphics score at the exact same clock speeds.

Sweet. Our cards are pretty much even.

My Windows 10 just updated to 353.54. My cards seem more stable and OC better with them. Gonna try pushing them a bit farther pretty soon here. I bet there's a couple more hundred points there for you.

Unfortunately they aren't approved yet so I can't submit.

I'll try Minus then, lemme know if it works if you could please and thanks.

I was 9610 graphics score, now I'm basically at where you were before. 9673. Getting up there. I think I will be able to hit 9700 at some point, but that's as far as I'm going to bother. As it stands right now, with my 9231, I'd be 50th place out of the Top 100 Hall of Fame. Not bad for stock air cooling. :)

/edit

nvm I got over 9700 pretty easily. Gonna try for 9800.

A pair of well overclocked Titans will stomp all over 980TIs. Especially in FS Ultra. Sometimes I regret selling mine but it really was a shit overclocker.

A pair of well overclocked Titans will stomp all over 980TIs. Especially in FS Ultra. Sometimes I regret selling mine but it really was a shit overclocker.

If you water cool the TitanX than yes but with the reference cooler, you'll be throttled by temps and most non-reference OCed 980tis will likely outperform the TitanX.

Tovarisc

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-v-the-phantom-pain-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle

It's up, anyone know if morecomputers.com participated last time in the arkham/witcher thing?

At least local Finnish store, Jimms, put MGSV bundles up right away today and they always have Nvidia bundle deals.

Edit: Point I tried to make is that if store has past with Nvidia bundles one would assume that MGSV bundle is up there already if it's going to be up.

Edit 2: Open http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/pc-games/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/bundle and scroll down and click on UK to see stores partnered with Nvidia.

Top Bottom