• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Wag

That's not hot. 85C on non O/C cards is hot. Damn ACX 2.0 cards stacked on top of each other. 😱

x3sphere

Posted this in the main PC thread but thought I should post it here as well. This comparison is quite interesting -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABt8bHgDHo

Looks like X99 is the way to go for anyone investing in a 980 Ti SLI setup. In that video, there's a performance difference of around 20-25% with an i7 5930K vs i7 4790K setup - same clocks (4.7 GHz). They tested Crysis 3, GTA V, and Witcher 3.

Oh yeah, I received the GTX 980 TI G1 card today after work, my my ASIC quality is 72.6%,not that I would care if it was lower.

I'm so happy, only one thing is getting me, should I set up a custom fan curve if I want a decent over clock from default?

I was thinking 100 core and 400 memory will be my limit, I saw this fan curve on reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/ZI9SjsH.jpg

Decent?

Anyone with a GTX 980 Ti G1 and a decent over-clock, what is your fan curve without making it too loud?

Thanks.

Update: Default Fan profile, stock voltage with Msi Afterburner +110 core clock,500 memory clock it hits 1504 and is usually 65c,is that decent? Maybe I should look into a fan profile.

Posted this in the main PC thread but thought I should post it here as well. This comparison is quite interesting -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABt8bHgDHo

Looks like X99 is the way to go for anyone investing in a 980 Ti SLI setup. In that video, there's a performance difference of around 20-25% with an i7 5930K vs i7 4790K setup - same clocks (4.7 GHz). They tested Crysis 3, GTA V, and Witcher 3.

I'm probably going to be upgrading to X99 soonish. Going to see what Pascal has to offer, but I suspect it will have minimal performance gains with a hefty premium attached to it. Yay for competition....

That's insane. I know we've been over this numerous times before but is there an actual proven benefit to having a higher ASIC?

Here's a quote from Kingpin:

Cards with very good ASIC value (75% and up) will tend to have the most "overclocking", but just like about every other maxwell gpu, they cannot overvolt past 1.23v-1.25v.
So highest asic cards like 80% +are almost always going to be the ones that can 1600+ on air/water, and again they do it pretty much WITHOUT overvolting over 1.23v-1.25v. Maxwell gpus with lower asic value like 65% will not be so great at air/water because these low asic gpus need voltage to scale compared to match the overclock of the high asic gpus( USING SAME USABLE VOLTAGE 1.23-1.25v)

I can't really say much because all my card have been 69-79%, but there some truth to the lower ASIC cards needing more voltage. Out of the box, my 69% ASIC card runs at 30mV higher than my 76% ASIC card at their factory overclock speeds. But the lower ASIC card can reach a higher memory clock (which is negated by SLI).

Hasney

So after consulting elsewhere and looking around to my problem (want to game at 4k 60fps, there's not enough space for the fans to operate on card 1 in an SLI setup with my current motherboard) I was about to just get a single 980ti and make do for a bit, then build a PC around Pascal/NVLINK next year sometime, I've found a better solution.

Get a couple of 980ti hybrids as I have spare 120mm mounts and they have built in all in one water cooling. Now I just have to hope the stock holds up to when I get my money,

I need a new monitor to pair up with my 980ti and I'm so conflicted :'(

do I go 144hz 1080p and save some money

144hz 1080p and gsync an splooge a little bit

or go 144hz 1440p and gsync and further pillage my doubloons

ZOONAMI

what a joke.
$1000 bones for a 76%+... lol

I like how they word this pricing structure... "for the first time ever" blah blah blah

How much for a Kingpin with a less than 72% ASIC? That's what I'd want.

Does this mean the classy is now pretty much gauranteed to be below 72%? Right now I don't know why anyone would buy a kingpin over a classy, but this is shitty if EVGA is gonna be changing their binning process just to accomodate the kingpin. Seems like it will make it much harder to win the GPU lottery with their other cards.

Lexxism

I need a new monitor to pair up with my 980ti and I'm so conflicted :'(

do I go 144hz 1080p and save some money

144hz 1080p and gsync an splooge a little bit

or go 144hz 1440p and gsync and further pillage my doubloons
I'm actually on the same boat. To better use of the single 980ti, 1440p 144hz is the way to go. It is pricey but that's the best option to get. I'm also conflicted because how pricey it is to where I live.

So after consulting elsewhere and looking around to my problem (want to game at 4k 60fps, there's not enough space for the fans to operate on card 1 in an SLI setup with my current motherboard) I was about to just get a single 980ti and make do for a bit, then build a PC around Pascal/NVLINK next year sometime, I've found a better solution.

Get a couple of 980ti hybrids as I have spare 120mm mounts and they have built in all in one water cooling. Now I just have to hope the stock holds up to when I get my money,

From what I understand, NVLINK isn't a consumer level technololgy

Does this mean the classy is now pretty much gauranteed to be below 72%? Right now I don't know why anyone would buy a kingpin over a classy, but this is shitty if EVGA is gonna be changing their binning process just to accomodate the kingpin. Seems like it will make it much harder to win the GPU lottery with their other cards.
Nah, while they are binning the Kingpin chips, they don't know the ASIC score for the overwhelming majority of their gpus. They get a shipment of chips, and they plug them into the PCBs and run with it. Silicon Lottery as usual. You could buy a reference EVGA gpu and end up with a high ASIC chip. It's only by binning the chips (time/money involved) that they are able to adopt this ridiculous price structure.

ZOONAMI

Nah, while they are binning the Kingpin chips, they don't know the ASIC score for the overwhelming majority of their gpus. They get a shipment of chips, and they plug them into the PCBs and run with it. Silicon Lottery as usual. You could buy a reference EVGA gpu and end up with a high ASIC chip. It's only by binning the chips (time/money involved) that they are able to adopt this ridiculous price structure.

Is the classy binned?

dr_rus

From what I understand, NVLINK isn't a consumer level technololgy

It's not a consumer CPU level technology as it's pretty much impossible that either Intel or AMD will be willing to integrate it into their CPUs.

But as for the GPUs - it's possible that NV will use it for multichip configurations, especially the ones which may end up being built on one interposer. How much that would improve SLI performance is unknown though.

cackhyena

Aw man, the G1 is out of stock on Newegg. I was planning on a purchase Thursday if the game code switch over rumor is true. Any chance they could have some in stock by then, or is it usually a longer wait?

Aw man, the G1 is out of stock on Newegg. I was planning on a purchase Thursday if the game code switch over rumor is true. Any chance they could have some in stock by then, or is it usually a longer wait?
MSI Gaming was out of stock on Newegg two days ago, now it's back in stock... your G1 might not be in by Thursday, but I'd be surprised if its still out-of-stock next week.

cackhyena

MSI Gaming was out of stock on Newegg two days ago, now it's back in stock... your G1 might not be in by Thursday, but I'd be surprised if its still out-of-stock next week.

I'm waiting regardless, cuz my sights are set on the G1, but good to know the wait won't be excruciating...most likely. Thanks.

Well with 1440p you got plenty of headroom. Most recent games still get 80+ FPS. If 1440p is an option, go for it.

A single 980Ti is going to struggle reaching a locked 60FPS @ 1440P in many modern games. Maxing out Ryse, Assassin's Creed Unity, GTA V, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Project CARS, Dying Light, Far Cry 4, etc.. etc.. will be a struggle.

ZOONAMI

A single 980Ti is going to struggle reaching a locked 60FPS @ 1440P in many modern games. Maxing out Ryse, Assassin's Creed Unity, GTA V, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Project CARS, Dying Light, Far Cry 4, etc.. etc.. will be a struggle.

If you insist on maxing every single fucking setting, sure.

If you insist on maxing every single fucking setting, sure.

Not really. That would be with keeping AA to a reasonable setting, if not off all together. Besides, what's the point of buying the best videocard in the world if you aren't going to max out games with it?

At 1440p with GSync, you should only need to make some reasonable adjustments to settings to get acceptable performance for the most demanding games. For less demanding games, you'll have no problem maxed at 1440p.

Not really. That would be with keeping AA to a reasonable setting, if not off all together. Besides, what's the point of buying the best videocard in the world if you aren't going to max out games with it?

To play games at a higher resolution or framerate. Potentially, make sacrifices on the most demanding games, while making none on the less demanding games.

ZOONAMI

What's the point of buying the best GPU in the world if you're going to run it at 1080p ;)?

cackhyena

At 1440p with GSync, you should only need to make some reasonable adjustments to settings to get acceptable performance for the most demanding games. For less demanding games, you'll have no problem maxed at 1440p.

To play games at a higher resolution or framerate. Potentially, make sacrifices on the most demanding games, while making none on the less demanding games.

Yep, that's how I rolled with my 670 these last few years.

To play games at a higher resolution or framerate.

Exactly. So it's a give-and-take situation. Do you want more bells-and-whistles? Denser grass, longer view distances, higher quality shadows? Or do you want less aliasing and a higher PQ? If you want 1440P, be prepared to lose some other visual enhancements in most modern games. I'd prefer maxed settings over higher resolution (within reason).

Rolfgang

Exactly. So it's a give-and-take situation. Do you want more bells-and-whistles? Denser grass, longer view distances, higher quality shadows? Or do you want less aliasing and a higher PQ? If you want 1440P, be prepared to lose some other visual enhancements in most modern games. I'd prefer maxed settings over higher resolution (within reason).

The only setting you would have to drop is Gameworks and maybe some AA, but that doesn't matter since 1440p needs less AA compared to 1080p.

The only setting you would have to drop is Gameworks and maybe some AA, but that doesn't matter since 1440p needs less AA compared to 1080p.

This isn't true. Ryse, GTA V, and Assassin's Creed Unity all would need additional settings turned down to keep a locked 60FPS @ 1440P. I'm sure that's the case with plenty of other games as well, but I haven't played every game so i can't say for certain. Future games are only going to get more demanding from here. I feel like the tech enthusiast crowd can be a bit short-sited at times. I remember, only a few months ago, the GTX 970 and 980 were "complete overkill" for 1080P.

Rolfgang

This isn't true. Ryse, GTA V, and Assassin's Creed Unity all would need additional settings turned down to keep a locked 60FPS @ 1440P. I'm sure that's the case with plenty of other games as well, but I haven't played every game so i can't say for certain. Future games are only going to get more demanding from here. I feel like the tech enthusiast crowd can be a bit short-sited at times. I remember, only a few months ago, the GTX 970 and 980 were "complete overkill" for 1080P.

I haven't got Ryse, so I don't know. GTA V has got some settings that are utterly useless in the advanced tab, but those destroy your FPS, so that's a bit out of context and Unity is optimised badly for PC. So those aren't really good examples (or maybe Ryse is, but I don't know). The Witcher 3 for example can run 60+ FPS on Ultra and 1440p as long as you keep Hairworks disabled and that is a good example of a demanding PC title (just like GTA V if you stay away from the advanced settings).

ZOONAMI

I haven't got Ryse, so I don't know. GTA V has got some settings that are utterly useless in the advanced tab, but those destroy your FPS, so that's a bit out of context and Unity is optimised badly for PC. So those aren't really good examples (or maybe Ryse is, but I don't know). The Witcher 3 for example can run 60+ FPS on Ultra and 1440p as long as you keep Hairworks disabled and that is a good example of a demanding PC title (just like GTA V if you stay away from the advanced settings).

Seconded. Witcher 3 runs at a locked 60fps with my 970 at 1440p with hairworks off. Granted it's running at 1481/8000, but still.

Had to rma my 980 ti because it was too hot (hitting low 90s), but it was doing close to a locked 60 with hairworks off at 4k. There are performance optimization guides for most big titles that help to identify which settings to tweak for fps gains with little loss in visual effects. There's no sense in just blindly maxing everything.

Been using a 2560x1440 monitor for years now and I really don't agree with this. 2560x1440 still looks really aliased in a lot of modern games. The minimum resolution I'd run without AA is 3840x2160, but in games like GTAV, again, aliasing was noticeable at that resolution.

Usually I wind up downsampling from 2160p to 1440p and using 1440p as a last resort.

Rolfgang

Been using a 2560x1440 monitor for years now and I really don't agree with this. 2560x1440 still looks really aliased in a lot of modern games. The minimum resolution I'd run without AA is 3840x2160, but in games like GTAV, again, aliasing was noticeable at that resolution.

Usually I wind up downsampling from 2160p to 1440p and using 1440p as a last resort.

Okay. It might have to do with the fact that I just switched (about one week) from 1080p to 1440p. I probably still need to adjust haha.

Edit: I didn't mean no AA by the way, just a bit toned down.

Higher ASIC = less voltage needed to hit max clocks. Seems proven to me, as my low ASIC cards OC like shit unless I flash the bios for added voltage.

ive net seen any actual evidence that higher asic values translate to better ocs. just anecdotal claims. im not saying its not the case, but he asked for actual evidence.

laxu

Question for the pro's here. I'm looking into the 980 ti hybrid but am reading from a lot of the reviews that the pump buzzes and creates a lot of noise. I thought one of the reasons you would get the hybrid is to remove the noise of the card.

I have the Corsair H55 mounted on my MSI card and it does have a slight buzz but I have to stick my head in the case to hear it. Since the EVGA probably uses the same Asetek made pump it shouldn't be an issue. But in the case it is, you can attach the pump power cable to a fan controller and lower its speed to 70%. The noise stops then completely and there shouldn't be a significant change in water flow.

ZOONAMI

ive net seen any actual evidence that higher asic values translate to better ocs. just anecdotal claims. im not saying its not the case, but he asked for actual evidence.

It doesn't translate to higher OCs, it translates to less voltage needed to get the max OC of a card. If a low asic card is boosting 1500+ at stock volts, you actually have a better ocing card than one that's only boosting to 1400 at stocks volts but has a high ASIC value.

ASIC is about voltage, not the max OC of a card.

Generally speaking, maxwells are only going to boost to around 1500 with air cooling regardless of asic quality. And generally speaking a high ASIC card is going to get there more easily than a low asic. However, there is still a range of max OC potential (silicon lottery) You might get a card that can only reach 1300mhz, and you might get one that can do 1600mhz, regardless of ASIC quality. What you want is a card with high ASIC and a high max OC, as it will be easy to reach the max OC. Have to be lucky to end up with that combo.

ASIC is about voltage, not the max OC of a card

Yes. And a higher ASIC value will not scale as well with added voltage either. This is why people say that lower ASIC cards are better for water cooling and LN2 cooling. Also confuses me as to why EVGA would charge more for higher ASIC Kingpin cards.

Top Bottom