• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

longdi

Banned
So what's the roadmap for cards beyond the 9xx series? My 780 Ti still holds its own but not forever..

Pascal, 10xx series, a year from now would be good guess.

780ti to 980ti will get you 50% more fps on average. MGSV:TPP ia supposed to be the next nvidia tie in coming soon. Would that make you want to join the 980ti party?

Havel

So what's the roadmap for cards beyond the 9xx series? My 780 Ti still holds its own but not forever..

Pascal comes out next year. Stacked DRAM, etc.

Volta after that.

Pascal1.png

Wag

You think EVGA would let me RMA 2 980Ti's at once?LOL

I think that's the only way for sure I'll know what's going on. I have a sense it's my motherboard or one of the cards, but I'm just not sure which.

MoonGred

I haven't touched OC Guru except to change the LED colors. OC mode simply increase the core clock a little but, but you can do the exact same thing in Afterburner or Precision.

Speaking of led colors, does yours often default to the white color? I have to change mine back to red every 2nd day orso. I haven't got it set up so it changes with temperatures so that's not it either.

Psykotik

Speaking of led colors, does yours often default to the white color? I have to change mine back to red every 2nd day orso. I haven't got it set up so it changes with temperatures so that's not it either.

same here. mine seems to default back to white too.

Lexxism

same here. mine seems to default back to white too.
Yes, it changes back to default color. The software doesn't open on start-up. You need to manually open the software every start-up to use the LED color you want chose. Shitty isn't it?

Sorry, meant to say, that's BF4. Sometimes I get ~70% usage on each card and that's when I'm hitting 120-144 FPS. But sometimes it will drop way low, and of course that's when I see crazy dips to 60-70 FPS. Maybe that's just to be expected in a 64 player game but it's still very jarring.
BF4 scales exceptionally well with SLI but 64 player matches are taxing on CPU. Utilizing your GPUs isn't an issue for BF4 when your CPU isn't the bottleneck. In the case that it is your GPU is just tapping its toes, waiting for the CPU.

ZOONAMI

Can anyone post temps for their G1 gaming in firestrike? Should i be hitting 91 degrees under any circumstances? Dammit I'm probably gonna have to RMA newegg

Can anyone post temps for their G1 gaming in firestrike? Should i be hitting 91 degrees under any circumstances? Dammit I'm probably gonna have to RMA newegg
I have SLI g1 gaming and running heaven for 30-40min my hottest card tops out at 80c. During a short firestrike run they don't get nearly that hot.

You can try to set the fan curve at all in something like afterburner. My curve is basically 1:1 except at 90 it goes up to 100%. Sooooo...

50% at 50 degrees
60% at 60 degrees
70% at 70 degrees
80% at 80 degrees
100% at 90 degrees

Hasney

Has anyone used 2 of these or similar cards in SLI on an ASUS ROG IV GENE-Z motherboard? There's no space between the cards at all if I was to do it and I'm worried about heat on the top card since there's barely a gap for the fan.

Here's an example setup that looks insane:

I7k96.jpg

Zaph

Man, my G1's coil whine is bad. Like, worse than my old Windforce 670 coilwhine which wasn't great. I can hear it even when the fan ramps up to 50%.

Think this is my last Gigabyte card.

I dont really care for the noise, my Case is bellow my desk and even at 100% the fan is barely audible.

My fan curve: Above 40º, the fan is at 100%.

Huh. I've had 3 Gigabyte G1s go into my system and none have had coil whine. If anything, my experience with these cards has made me more confident in buying Gigabyte cards in the future.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Ruprit

Has anyone used 2 of these or similar cards in SLI on an ASUS ROG IV GENE-Z motherboard? There's no space between the cards at all if I was to do it and I'm worried about heat on the top card since there's barely a gap for the fan.

Here's an example setup that looks insane:

I7k96.jpg

I used to have MSI 970 Gaming 4G in SLI on an Asus Maximus VII Gene. The top GPU got real hot and loud really quickly due to the lack of space and having a GPU cooler that didn’t push hot air out of the case. I ended up putting them under water to keep the noise and heat to a minimum. Since then, I’ve moved on to a MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G to get the same or better performance as SLI 970s with the added benefit of maximum performance and compatibility with all my games because I’m running a single GPU. I prefer to use mATX, but I don’t believe they are suited for SLI unless you water cool.

ZOONAMI

Definitely RMA that card. A single G1 gaming card probably should stay below 70 c full load using just the factory clocks.

Maybe its a bad paste job? I might put on some thermal paste, but worried if that doesnt fix it and newegg can tell I took the card apart. Don't really know how they could tell.

onken

Pascal, 10xx series, a year from now would be good guess.

780ti to 980ti will get you 50% more fps on average. MGSV:TPP ia supposed to be the next nvidia tie in coming soon. Would that make you want to join the 980ti party?

I'll be getting MGS5 on PS4, I always go physical for MGS games (and it runs at 1080/60 after all). I can survive a year, I suppose.

Hasney

I used to have MSI 970 Gaming 4G in SLI on an Asus Maximus VII Gene. The top GPU got real hot and loud really quickly due to the lack of space and having a GPU cooler that didn’t push hot air out of the case. I ended up putting them under water to keep the noise and heat to a minimum. Since then, I’ve moved on to a MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G to get the same or better performance as SLI 970s with the added benefit of maximum performance and compatibility with all my games because I’m running a single GPU. I prefer to use mATX, but I don’t believe they are suited for SLI unless you water cool.

Cheers, that's what I figured. New plan was to start gaming at 4k, but I'm thinking that I might just get a single card to do me for now, then build a new system around Pascal/NVLINK next year.

I'd just wait it out, but nnnnggg 560ti is really ageing now.

Rolfgang

giphy.gif

But seriously. Send it back. Get a new one.

What I love about Amazon is that I can have a new one shipped to me before ever shipping out the old card. Speaking of which, I still need to do that...

Yeah, I love it that almost every webshop in The Netherlands has a nice return and RMA policy. And because the country is so small, it only takes one day to send/receive a package.

I'm using Sheysters Ultimate 5 pack Hydro Copper based BIOS and temps are much better for me now.

Before my top Titan X would idle 38'C 45% fan and bottom idles 32'C

Now my top Titan X idles 34'C 45% fan and and bottom 28'C

Nothing else has changed and ambient temps are pretty much identical.

Anyway, shout out to Sheyster from the OC community for the nice BIOSes. I'm getting much better fps due to no throttling.

Deadstar

Question for the pro's here. I'm looking into the 980 ti hybrid but am reading from a lot of the reviews that the pump buzzes and creates a lot of noise. I thought one of the reasons you would get the hybrid is to remove the noise of the card.

It seems that not all pumps buzz and cause noise but that EVGA decided to use a low quality pump. There are some people talking about replacing the pump with a better version but I don't really want to pay $750+ and then have to modify it.

Anyone have any experience with the pump noise?

spannicus

Question for the pro's here. I'm looking into the 980 ti hybrid but am reading from a lot of the reviews that the pump buzzes and creates a lot of noise. I thought one of the reasons you would get the hybrid is to remove the noise of the card.

It seems that not all pumps buzz and cause noise but that EVGA decided to use a low quality pump. There are some people talking about replacing the pump with a better version but I don't really want to pay $750+ and then have to modify it.

Anyone have any experience with the pump noise?

Just installed mine. I dont here any pump noise at all. my GPU and CPU are both water cooled. I just need to know if i should adjust the fan curve for it. The only sound i notice is from my monitor when i start The Witcher 3. As for the hybrid i notice no pump sound. keeps your card cool. 53c at load. fan and rad are set up as exhaust. no OC.

Of all games out now, I think Witcher 3 taxes GPUs most efficiently. For an open world game, it seems to require surprisingly little CPU. So if a game was going to push temps close to a benchmarking application, Witcher 3 would be the game.

Deadstar

Just installed mine. I dont here any pump noise at all. my GPU and CPU are both water cooled. I just need to know if i should adjust the fan curve for it. The only sound i notice is from my monitor when i start The Witcher 3. As for the hybrid i notice no pump sound. keeps your card cool. 53c at load. fan and rad are set up as exhaust. no OC.

This is VERY good to hear, thank you!!! You have alleviated my fears. The bad pumps must be product defects.

Blitzhex

This is VERY good to hear, thank you!!! You have alleviated my fears. The bad pumps must be product defects.

I don't think they're product defects. I'm pretty sure EVGA is using a asetek AIO solution, the same oem corsair uses and all of them make a buzzing sound. However, it isn't a very high pitched sound, so it can be easily hidden behind fan noise. I use AF140 quiet edition as case fans at full speed and gentle typhoon af-15s at 1.5k rpm on my corsair h100i rad and can't hear the sound of the pump. People complaining about pump noise on the 980ti hybrid must either have super low rpm fans and/or cases that don't absorb much sound.

Of all games out now, I think Witcher 3 taxes GPUs most efficiently. For an open world game, it seems to require surprisingly little CPU. So if a game was going to push temps close to a benchmarking application, Witcher 3 would be the game.

Yeah, Witcher 3 stresses my card more than any stress test or benchmark. It is very good for testing oc stability.

paskowitz

For me, pCARS is the best because you can set the AI to control your driver and then set the number of laps so a race takes a couple of hours. This in addition to keeping any changing weather conditions constant among all tests. I use Spa, GT3 cars, max grid, 12pm w/max time accel, 4 weather slots (sunny, thunderstorm, hazy, heavy fog with rain), max weather accel, and 100% AI. While the AI can be somewhat unpredictable and cause different results, overall it is a pretty solid test. It also tests your CPU so if you have something under a K series i5, your results may be skewed.

ombz

I think I got a bad overclocking card (MSI Gaming). Firestrike had artifacts and froze with +50 for core clock and +350 for memory clock in afterburner.

All well it is still a fast card.

I think I got a bad overclocking card (MSI Gaming). Firestrike had artifacts and froze with +50 for core clock and +350 for memory clock in afterburner.

All well it is still a fast card.

This is why I wish Amazon.co.uk directly sold the g1 980 ti, their returns are so easy I'd just return something like that. Wouldn't with others.

Wag

I think I got my problems narrowed down. I got the new PS for nothing. My motherboard is screwed. The first PCI-E slot is no good. I have to run the 2nd (8x) and 3rd (16x) slot. (for some reason I can't get slot 4 to work). Since I have ACX 2.0+ cooling fans one of my cards is getting insanely hot, like 85c just by running Valley @ stock temps. I played a bit of Witcher 3 and it seems to be OK.

Hopefully I'll be OK for now, but I don't think I'll be able to overclock the cards much with them stacked right on top of one another like this. But with a Sandy Bridge I'm not going to go out and buy another motherboard at this point.

Lexxism

That's quite hot, what are the temps in your room?

If it's 90 degress out where you live, and your house is hot, ya it's normal for summer.

Please try running firestrike and tell me what your temps are? Maybe there's a batch of bad G1s out there.
Lol, I'm so bad with Farenheit that I had to check its equivalent to C. It was around 25-28C today. So pretty much around 90 degrees. The room have windows but it was closed

and the only airflow is the door of the room. Never opened the aircon.

I tried two firestrike test: Stock and overclock. I'm currently using an a/c with 16C (I think). I'm using afterburner for overclocking.

Everything are default settings like Core Voltage, Power Limit (100), Temp Limit (83C), Fan Speed % (auto).

Temp before test: Min: 47 ; Max: 49

Temp results will be from GPU-Z

Stock G1
Max: 75C
Average: 61C

Overclock G1 (1277 core clock ; 2028 memory)
Max: 76C
Average: 65C

Is it bad? I guess this might reach over 80 without the A/C. Also, it's weird that I'm getting the same temp from a Stock G1 with or without an A/C. I wonder if I read it wrong? I will probably try it again tomorrow. It's going to be hot around 25C+.

Top Bottom