• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Hi,

Are you guys participating in the Nvidia "Game Like A Boss" Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain bundle promotion where you get a code for that game with any 980ti gtx?

Thanks.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Unfortunately no, we are not involved in this promotion.

Kind Regards,

Sadly they're not, fast ass reply though, I'll give them that.

That and their gigabyte G1 ti is significantly cheaper than anywhere else, and I had a coupon for next day shipping for £3 so I went with them anyways since I saved more than I would have ever paid for MGS5.

Rolfgang

I have a 780Ti currently and I'm thinking of getting a 4k monitor. Would it be worth it to sell mine and get a 980Ti or should I wait for the next 22nm Ti card?
If you're in the high end card game, waiting for the next big thing is meaningless. When that one comes out you'll be waiting for the next next big card. 780ti > 980ti was the logical progression for a lot of us, myself included.
Freaking Best Buy never have anything in stock come on I need to spend my $500 gift card
Best Buy is nigh pointless for most computer parts needs. I only buy TVs and laptops (and consoles/games) from them. Get yourself that gamers club membership and spend the $500 on cheap(er) games.

cackhyena

How long does it usually take for a code like TPP to come after a purchase? I just ordered the G1 from Newegg. Or is it sent closer to the release date?

Rolfgang

How long does it usually take for a code like TPP to come after a purchase? I just ordered the G1 from Newegg. Or is it sent closer to the release date?

With a lot of shops in The Netherlands you get it right away in an e-mail, you just can't redeem it yet (I think?)

cackhyena

Hmm, odd. Usually if they send a card, it's right away with the card in most cases. You might want to send them an e-mail.
Oh, I don't have the GPU yet. I just ordered it a couple hours ago or so. When I clicked on the TPP code link in the confirmation order, it brought me to a page on Newegg showing a picture of a card with the scratch off for a code on the back. I assume that's what comes with the GPU when it arrives.

Rolfgang

Oh, I don't have the GPU yet. I just ordered it a couple hours ago or so. When I clicked on the TPP code link in the confirmation order, it brought me to a page on Newegg showing a picture of a card with the scratch off for a code on the back. I assume that's what comes with the GPU when it arrives.

Ooooh, I thought you already had the box. Never mind my babbling ;)

ZOONAMI

Should be a digital product delivery email you get. If you don't get an email, check you digital library page in your dashboard on Newegg. Should be an option to resend the codes.

cackhyena

Should be a digital product delivery email you get. If you don't get an email, check you digital library page in your dashboard on Newegg. Should be an option to resend the codes.

I actually got the code in my email a little while ago. Already sold. Thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eyeing off the MSI 980 Ti Gamer or whatever.

Impressions? Reviews are great.

EDIT: This is my plan basically: buff up my GPU while also nabbing a 1440p monitor with the intention of keeping my games maxed out at this resolution running decently for some time. My biggest fear is being crippled by modern games, that and the rest of my hardware acting as a bottleneck. I'm currently running an i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz with no intention to upgrade. I'm also a little bit worried about my PSU, which is 650W. Also my MBO is a bit old and I haven't been following 980 Ti requirements to know if it'll work or not. It's the ASUS P8P67.

So um....I guess I have a bunch of questions and concerns. Advice would be appreciated :)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

EDIT: This is my plan basically: buff up my GPU while also nabbing a 1440p monitor with the intention of keeping my games maxed out at this resolution running decently for some time. My biggest fear is being crippled by modern games, that and the rest of my hardware acting as a bottleneck. I'm currently running an i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz with no intention to upgrade. I'm also a little bit worried about my PSU, which is 650W. Also my MBO is a bit old and I haven't been following 980 Ti requirements to know if it'll work or not. It's the ASUS P8P67.

So um....I guess I have a bunch of questions and concerns. Advice would be appreciated :)

I am actually doing the same thing

I am actually doing the same thing

Yup, I am in the same boat, leaning towards a 970 though due to cost and Pascal.

cackhyena

I think I have the same mobo as you. Never bothered to check compatibility before ordering my G1. Welp, here's hoping.

Your mobo will work. However you may losee a tiny bit of performance since it's not pice 3.0 (only a couple fps though). However I have the MSI 980ti 6G and I absolutely love it. I downsample most of my games from a little under 4k, and this card crushes them. You will be fine at 1440p/60fps in pretty much anything save for Star Citizen possibly.

Card overclocks great, mine had an ASIC quality of 82.2%, so I need to work on pushing it a little more, but I couldn't be happier. i5 2500k at that speed will do just fine with the ti, tons of people have that combo here. I'd say go for it!

Zukuu

Banned
Where do these prices come from? I only find it for around 800€ in Germany. Even the 970 GTX is around 400€. Cheapest I have found was 360€.

You guys are fine with the 2500k OC'd. In the grand scheme, the change in CPU architecture and their improvements are marginal, especially with an overclock. Games are being largely limited by GPU anyway. At worst you might be limited by core counts in the future but I honestly don't see 2500k as a bottleneck in the slightest for gaming.

joesmokey

I have a 2600k at 4.2ghz with a 27" 1440P monitor and can max out modern games fine. The Witcher 3 can keep a nearly perfect stable 60fps with everything maxed outside of hairworks. In the most demanding scenes I may dip to 52 or 54fps, but that is usually very brief if it even occurs.

With the current crop of cards, you won't gain much by jumping from PCI Gen 2.0 to 3.0, even in SLI mode:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,17.html

Things might be different when HBM2 cards hit, but for now old motherboards with PCI Gen 2.0 is fine.

As for your PSU concerns, 650W should be fine as long as you don't SLI.

varkuriru

Welp, just bought an EVGA sc+. Upgrading from a 560 ti so expecting to be blown away :). Was waiting for Amazon to get the classified but became impatient.

cackhyena

You guys are fine with the 2500k OC'd. In the grand scheme, the change in CPU architecture and their improvements are marginal, especially with an overclock. Games are being largely limited by GPU anyway. At worst you might be limited by core counts in the future but I honestly don't see 2500k as a bottleneck in the slightest for gaming.
Seeing as I have a 3570k, that's good to know. Thanks.

For builds that old, you would want to upgrade just for the platform. You're going to want things like PCIe 3.0, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, SATA3, M.2/NVMe, etc. I really want to move to Skylake because my i7-950 and X58 are still on SATA2 for example, I'm bottlenecking the hell out of my SSDs.

harz-marz

I just took the plunge and upgraded my GTX 970 to this card, waiting on it arriving. Got it to go along with my Acer Predator xb270hu as I have been gaming on a 1080P 60HZ monitor for 4 years.

My big worry is my i5 2500 (non K). Will this be an issue? Not noticing it being an issue with my 970 so I guess I should be ok?

Do it. Everything should work out fine and I doubt you'll see much of a bottleneck with a 4.3Ghz CPU. Power Supply should also be good to go so long as you don't go crazy modding the bios and raising the power target to something like 400w like I did. The default max for these cards is 275w (110% power limit in MSI Afterburner for overclocks).

Witcher 3. 3440x1440. Latest drivers.

Borderless Window = 67 FPS

Fullscreen = 85 FPS

What the shizzballs is going on here. I used to get the same FPS in Fullscreen and Borderless.

AJLma

Witcher 3. 3440x1440. Latest drivers.

Borderless Window = 67 FPS

Fullscreen = 85 FPS

What the shizzballs is going on here. I used to get the same FPS in Fullscreen and Borderless.

Always been like that for me.

I think running Borderless is just a little more demanding.

Rolfgang

Noooo, I'm such a dumbass! I received my G1 Gaming, but I totally forgot to also order a two meter long DP-cable, since the one I got at home is only 1.5 meter and it's just too short. My current cable is a DP-to-Mini-DP-cable and won't fit in the G1, since it doesn't have a Mini-DP-entry. So installing the new card will have to wait to tomorrow :(

cackhyena

I'm just praying mine fits without modification. I measured, but it's literally a hairs width before I'd have to cut out some brackets.

I'm just praying mine fits without modification. I measured, but it's literally a hairs width before I'd have to cut out some brackets.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 980ti myself and will probably do it next week.
The Windforce 770 I put in 2 years ago was already a hassle though, it just barely fit.

Hopefully things will get back to 'normal' when Nvidia also launches HBM with Pascal.

Top Bottom