• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Is it worth upgrading from a GTX 980 to the 980 TI?

I might give my 980 to my little brother and get the free MGS V promotion coming up with the 980 TI.

Looks like a ~10-15% increase in performance across the board?

I"m running a 60Hz 1440p Monitor for reference.

I might give my 980 to my little brother and get the free MGS V promotion coming up with the 980 TI.

I can give you a good answer to this question on Monday when my card gets here, as I am going from a 980 to a TI and I use a 60Hz 1440p monitor. I suspect my answer will be something along the lines of, "If you can afford to do so, then yes." Going off of benchmarks the Ti seems to be really great for 1440p as you have a ton of options, either for maxed visuals and 60fps, or downsampling and locking it to 30, etc.

I can give you a good answer to this question on Monday when my card gets here, as I am going from a 980 to a TI and I use a 60Hz 1440p monitor. I suspect my answer will be something along the lines of, "If you can afford to do so, then yes." Going off of benchmarks the Ti seems to be really great for 1440p as you have a ton of options, either for maxed visuals and 60fps, or downsampling and locking it to 30, etc.

Awesome looking forward to your response!

Is this on a G-sync display?

Nope. It's the Dell U3415W.

This is on Windows 10 as well. If that helps. Latest Nvidia drivers.

Anyone else seeing different FPS in borderless and fullscreen? I mean.... I'm very happy with the fullscreen FPS, but I'd prefer to have that in Borderless.

I'll test to see if the same happens without SLI.

Nope. It's the Dell U3415W.

This is on Windows 10 as well. If that helps. Latest Nvidia drivers.

Anyone else seeing different FPS in borderless and fullscreen? I mean.... I'm very happy with the fullscreen FPS, but I'd prefer to have that in Borderless.

I'll test to see if the same happens without SLI.

Yep, I can confirm.

Windows 10 latest build
Latest Nvidia Drivers 353.54

69fps fullscreen
41fps Borderless Window
40fps Window

Something is messed up.

Absinthe

Is it worth changing from 970 FTW SLI to the 980ti or should I just wait and upgrade next year? I was going to sell my 970 and get the 980ti but then I got a free 970 and couldn't pass it up. I'm a little disappointed with the SLI support/performance at 1440p right now though.

Can anyone provide any Windows 10 Alienware graphics amplifier benchmarks with the 980ti ?

This is the first time I've ever heard of this thing so I Googled it.

It's an external enclosure for a video card which may or may not be Thunderbolt in a proprietary connector which you connect to a recent-model Alienware laptop for external GPU? How well does this thing work? Is it actually Thunderbolt or something else Dell cooked up which connects PCI-e to the enclosure?

x3sphere

Borderless Windowed always gave me in a performance hit in TW3. It does in every game that offers a Borderless mode, actually. Not sure if it was that significant, but definitely was enough for me to notice. I've always stuck with Fullscreen for that reason.

Sanjay

I have a 1440p Monitor and I just went from a 980 to a 980ti. What games do you play?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've always lost a pretty sizable chunk of performance in Wild Hunt on a 970 between borderless and full screen, I figure because the former probably forces Windows level triple buffering and I play the latter without vsync.

paskowitz

Anyone who has a EVGA 980 ti Classified should try LN2 bios mode, even if they are on air. My card is a helluva more stable in LN2 mode vs normal. As long as the temps are kept bellow 80c with a slightly more aggressive profile I get a stable +1.200v 1480/7750Mhz (70.7% ASIC... which is meh). On the normal bios this clock is not stable. I think the key here is the voltage stays stable, so the clock stays stable. IDK what the LN2 bios does to keep it stable, but I am thankful.

Rolfgang

Finally plugged in my 980 Ti G1 Gaming. I had a fan problem first, but then I noticed it was hitting a wire, so that was easy to fix. I almost got a heart attack tough, because I thought I hadn't plugged in the card correctly or something and everything was going to explode.

Overclocked it a bit, haven't stress tested it yet and haven't found the limit for Memory Clock until now, but these are the results and settings (ASIC is 67% by the way):

109% Power Limit
+87 mV
+150 Core Clock
+295 Memory Clock

79t1bo6.gif

And my 3DMark-results:

OoJQkyI.png

Is this good, the same, or lower compared to systems with roughly the same setup?

ZOONAMI

Finally plugged in my 980 Ti G1 Gaming. I had a fan problem first, but then I noticed it was hitting a wire, so that was easy to fix. I almost got a heart attack tough, because I thought I hadn't plugged in the card correctly or something and everything was going to explode.

Overclocked it a bit, haven't stress tested it yet and haven't found the limit for Memory Clock until now, but these are the results and settings (ASIC is 67% by the way):

109% Power Limit
+87 mV
+150 Core Clock
+295 Memory Clock

79t1bo6.gif

And my 3DMark-results:

OoJQkyI.png

Is this good, the same, or lower compared to systems with roughly the same setup?

Good results, I'd put your power limit at 130% to avoid throttling. I bet you can get more out of the memory. If you're willing to flash one of the bios i bet you could get a bit more out of the core.

Rolfgang

Good results, I'd put your power limit at 130% to avoid throttling. I bet you can get more out of the memory. If you're willing to flash one of the bios i bet you could get a bit more out of the core.

Wait, isn't the power limit maxed to 109% by Nvidia? I thought I read that somewhere, so I just put it to 109%. I've never flashed a BIOS before, so if I'm gonna do that, I'm going to do it on my 'old' 970. Not feeling safe to flash a BIOS on my 980 Ti.

Power Limit goes to 130% on Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

Flashing a BIOS isn't really dangerous on an Nvidia card unless you are overriding the built in safety checks to flash another card's BIOS on yours.

Rolfgang

Power Limit goes to 130% on Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

Flashing a BIOS isn't really dangerous on an Nvidia card unless you are overriding the built in safety checks to flash another card's BIOS on yours.

Yeah, just read that the G1 has a higher power limit, awesome! Going to ramp that up right away and see what more I can squeeze out of it.

Alright, I'm going to read some more on BIOS tomorrow and then see what I'll do.

79t1bo6.gif

And my 3DMark-results:

OoJQkyI.png

Feel free to link the actual result. Like this.

When you're benchmarking in order to compare your GPU to others, I'd just be looking at the graphics score because the overall score is HEAVILY influenced by your CPU in both regular Firestrike and extreme.

Firestrike Ultra is almost 100% GPU with very little extra score coming from the CPU.

That said, your graphics score is pretty decent. I'm sure that you could get closer to 21,500 if you max out the overclock. And there's no harm in maxing out the power limit. That will help out with stability and throttling.

Not sure what all you'll manage to get out of the card by modding the bios. At least on air. The card already has an insane power limit at 130% (390w) and there's only so much you can get out of extra voltage before you're dealing with a ton of heat and therefore fan noise.

ZOONAMI

Feel free to link the actual result. Like this.

When you're benchmarking in order to compare your GPU to others, I'd just be looking at the graphics score because the overall score is HEAVILY influenced by your CPU in both regular Firestrike and extreme.

Firestrike Ultra is almost 100% GPU with very little extra score coming from the CPU.

That said, your graphics score is pretty decent. I'm sure that you could get closer to 21,500 if you max out the overclock. And there's no harm in maxing out the power limit. That will help out with stability and throttling.

Not sure what all you'll manage to get out of the card by modding the bios. At least on air. The card already has an insane power limit at 130% (390w) and there's only so much you can get out of extra voltage before you're dealing with a ton of heat and therefore fan noise.

Yeah, I'll second this with the bios flash on the G1. You already have a great core OC. Might want to just call it good. Flash the bios and experiment with voltage only if you really feel like you need to squeeze out more fps down the line.

Yeah, I'll second this with the bios flash on the G1. You already have a great core OC. Might want to just call it good. Flash the bios and experiment with voltage only if you really feel like you need to squeeze out more fps down the line.

Yup. I've only modded the voltage on my cards as well and I still haven't come close to hitting the stock 130% power limit. On the stock BIOS, my best Gigabyte G1 would score 21,600. With a modded bios.... I can get 21,800. Your mileage may vary, but my maximum core clock speed did not increase with extra voltage. It's only preventing throttling. So my minimum clock speed at max temp is now 1506 as opposed to 1470. The difference really isn't all that major and probably not worth the extra heat being generated by the cards. They're hard enough to cool on air as it is running in SLI....

That said, I'm playing Battlefield 4 with 2x DSR + 4xMSAA on a 3440x1440 monitor and maintaining a locked 60 FPS. These cards are so damn powerful. But those settings are also using 7GB VRAM according to MSI Afterburner. The 12GB VRAM on the Titans is no joke.

Rolfgang

I've upped the power limit to 130% and with that extra power I could bump the Core Clock with +160 and I found my Memory Clock limit at +400.

Vk1mzEq.gif

I also ran 3DMark again (Fire Strike results) and got a Graphics Score of 20950. I only have the demo tough, so I can't run Fire Strike Ultra, but I'm probably going to buy the whole package in the near future.

The temperature stays around 60 - 70 degrees Celsius by the way during the Heaven Benchmark (on ultra/extreme), with a custom cooling profile.

ZOONAMI

I've upped the power limit to 130% and with that extra power I could bump the Core Clock with +160 and I found my Memory Clock limit at +400.

Vk1mzEq.gif

I also ran 3DMark again (Fire Strike results) and got a Graphics Score of 20950. I only have the demo tough, so I can't run Fire Strike Ultra, but I'm probably going to buy the whole package in the near future.

The temperature stays around 60 - 70 degrees Celsius by the way during the Heaven Benchmark (on ultra/extreme), with a custom cooling profile.

Awesome

Tovarisc

Well that's just a HUGE slap in the face to everyone that got Arkham Knight instead :(

You mean who got Arkham Knight and Witcher 3? I have order in for GTX980Ti with MGSV bundled in, but I think game bundles should be last thing to think about when deciding on PC HW purchases. In the end it's just free software that comes with your primary concern, HW purchase.

I wonder how many weeks/months it takes for me to get my Gigabyte 980Ti G1 <.< Well I get worried only if I have my Skylake CPU and no GPU :b

You mean who got Arkham Knight and Witcher 3? I have order in for GTX980Ti with MGSV bundled in, but I think game bundles should be last thing to think about when deciding on PC HW purchases. In the end it's just free software that comes with your primary concern, HW purchase.

I wonder how many weeks/months it takes for me to get my Gigabyte 980Ti G1 <.< Well I get worried only if I have my Skylake CPU and no GPU :b

I only got Akrham Knight.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Irony being of those three games MGSV is likely to be the least intensive to render.

Darkone

hey Gaf,

Going to buy a GTX980ti this weekend, which one is best to get?

I will be using it on 4K.

EVGA GTX980 Ti ACX 2.0 SC 6GB
Gigabyte GTX980 Ti G1 GAMING 6GB

Thanks

Exactly. Also, just from anecdotal observation, Gigabyte cards seem to have higher ASIC on average. MSI's Gaming 6G is also a pretty good option.

I've had 3 of the Gigabyte cards and none of them were as high as the EVGA that I had :p

69%, 72%, and 76% Gigabytes compared to the 79.6% on the EVGA.

And the 69% ASIC card is the best overclocker out of the bunch.

Question.
i5 4670K
ASRock Z87 Pro4
250 GB MX100
1 TB WD10EZEX
8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
SeaSonic G SSR-550RM PSU

Would it be able to support a 980 Ti?

Top Bottom