• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Kambing

Is my 2500 fine or do I need to upgrade?

Yo I actually have the 2500k paired with the 1080 ti. Ryzen build is on hold cause there are no damn motherboards. The 2500k severely bottlenecks the card -- my cpu is also OC@4.8ghz.

In Witcher 3 @ 3840 x 1700 i get 45-46 FPS
In Witcher 3 @ 1920 x 1080 I get 70-75 FPS

A modern CPU paired with this card, at least in the benchmarks I have looked at should be hitting 60FPS @4k and over 100 FPS@1080p. Have had this CPU since 2011 -- time for change!

Smokey

Yo I actually have the 2500k paired with the 1080 ti. Ryzen build is on hold cause there are no damn motherboards. The 2500k severely bottlenecks the card -- my cpu is also OC@4.8ghz.

A modern CPU paired with this card, at least in the benchmarks I have looked at should be hitting 60FPS @4k and over 100 FPS@1080p. Have had this CPU since 2011 -- time for change!

See ;)

The 2500k/2600k were great chips for a very long time, but it's time to move forward especially with these new GPUs.

Ryzen should be a pretty large leap

Kambing

See ;)

The 2500k/2600k were great chips for a very long time, but it's time to move forward especially with these new GPUs.

Ryzen should be a pretty large leap

Haha yes, you were right :)

Pretty insane to think I have a deficit of about 30-40% in performance because of the CPU. The mind boggling thought -- and what I am hopeful for -- is that next gen will bring a quantum leap in game logic. PC gaming will benefit so much.

The 1080ti is a damn fine card.

Really want to pick up a GTX1080Ti, but I can't justify it. I gotta pay for my flight and hotel for E3.

Unless someone wants to buy my GTX1080 (EVGA) from me ;)

Exokell

Banned

Ordered 7700k. Just waiting for the parts to come.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What PSU would you guys recommend for a 1080 Ti? I'm still using my old Corsair 650W from years ago that has seen me through a 970, 980, 980 Ti, and at the moment a 1080.

Arkanius

Damn despite the huge noise, and let's be real, it's not noise because the fan is noisy. It's noise of A LOT OF AIR BEING DISPLACED, the Founders Edition cooler is quite good. I'm very surprised, I always heard bad things about it but:

1) It keeps your case temperatures very low since it throws all the hot air outside
2) It doesn't make that much noise at the 50% cap
3) It's very cool looking

And the noise it makes is very soft, since it's a huge amount of air being pushed outside the case.
It feels POWERFUL

I'm still throwing an Hybrid kit as soon as EVGA makes one

gdt

What PSU would you guys recommend for a 1080 Ti? I'm still using my old Corsair 650W from years ago that has seen me through a 970, 980, 980 Ti, and at the moment a 1080.

I was looking at some power draw stuff on...Techspot I think. My 650w will do fine. As will yours.

I think anyway. Total system draw was like 380 at heavy loads, if I was reading it right.

Redmoon

At this point, I might as well wait for the good 3rd party cards to come out within the next couple of weeks I'd assume.

However the 1080ti is doing well vs my 2 Titan X Maxwell's

Titan XM @ 1405/8000 vs 1080ti @ 2050/12000 +70% favoring the Ti
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/1407503/spy/1383044

2x Titan XM @ 1405/8000 vs 1x 1080ti @ 2050/12000 +16% favoring the TXM's
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/1409217/spy/1383044

Just a single benchmark, but the fact that the 2nd best pascal card is almost capable of 2x'ing the flagship Maxwell GPU which is only 2 years old is impressive. And with SLI not scaling evenly and scaling varying from game to game, that 16% difference is basically nullified.

The xx80 Volta gpu would probably be a 2x over a Titan XM at this point.

Weevilone

Damn despite the huge noise, and let's be real, it's not noise because the fan is noisy. It's noise of A LOT OF AIR BEING DISPLACED, the Founders Edition cooler is quite good. I'm very surprised, I always heard bad things about it but:

1) It keeps your case temperatures very low since it throws all the hot air outside
2) It doesn't make that much noise at the 50% cap
3) It's very cool looking

And the noise it makes is very soft, since it's a huge amount of air being pushed outside the case.
It feels POWERFUL

I'm still throwing an Hybrid kit as soon as EVGA makes one

Agreed with all of this.. I laugh when people come up with all kinds of hyperbola about the noise. I was reading one person last night saying he wanted to take it out and smash it, etc.

I preordered the NV30 card back in the day (FX 5800 Ultra). Now that was ear splitting, and much more than just the sound of air moving.

Grassy

650w is more than enough power as Nvidia recommends a 600w for a single 1080 Ti, but the age might be an issue. The last Corsair PSU I had only lasted ~2 years or so before dying.

Smokey

For anybody considering SLI, I had an EVGA HB bridge but decided to change to the Nvidia HB bridge. Luckily I have a Microcenter in town, and they had every size available:

33117248420_f32125d58e_c.jpg

I think it looks better than the EVGA bridge:

33441198866_88ef2cd532_c.jpg

The thing is the spacing relative to the Nvidia and EVGA bridge are not the same. The EVGA bridge is their 2-slot, while the Nvidia is their 4-slot.

Vipu

Banned
650w is more than enough power as Nvidia recommends a 600w for a single 1080 Ti, but the age might be an issue. The last Corsair PSU I had only lasted ~2 years or so before dying.

It all depends like in everything I guess, my Corsair PSU is almost 8 years old and still working.

So have there been any more concrete dates given for aftermarket cards besides the FTW3?

Edit: Just saw Asus said laid-March so I guess that'll be sometime in the next week.

Just submitted payment for my step-up to 1080Ti; waiting for confirmation so I can send my card in. Wish I had chosen a faster shipping option to get the Ti back here but whatever.

Also ordered EK TXP block and backplate.

It's happening!

Will M

I dont know how but I managed to find he EVGA card on Newegg and it says order confirmed. It looks like they ran out of the Nvidia promotional game codes for Wildlands and For Honor... so Newegg comp'd me $59.99. $655 for the new card :D

telasoman

Finally got my thermal paste in so I put my Kraken G10 on the EVGA FE. Corsair H55 for cooling.

Works like a champ. Same fitting as the 980ti.

Overclocked to 160MHz for Core and worked like a champ.

Waiting for some vram heatsinks to come in before I mess with Memory Overclocking.

So far works amazingly well.

You don't understand how CPU limits work. If you can get 70 fps at 1080p, you could get 70 fps at 4K. But you run into the GPU limit. Just check yourself and you'll see that in 4K you have less CPU usage than in 1080p. With everything maxed out, even a Ti can't run all of TW3 at 60fps at 4K.

Buying a new Intel 4-core CPU will be a disappointment, you won't notice a difference in any games outside of benchmarks.

dr_rus

You don't understand how CPU limits work. If you can get 70 fps at 1080p, you could get 70 fps at 4K. But you run into the GPU limit. Just check yourself and you'll see that in 4K you have less CPU usage than in 1080p. With everything maxed out, even a Ti can't run all of TW3 at 60fps at 4K.

Buying a new Intel 4-core CPU will be a disappointment, you won't notice a difference in any games outside of benchmarks.

Not true for a 2500K upgrade to Kaby Lake i7. He will notice some gains in games, not in 4K of course but plenty in 1080p.

Vipu

Banned

Minimum fps should go pretty much higher even if GPU limits it.

Vipu

Banned
Sorry, that's what I meant, should have been clearer. Surprised anybody is considering using a 1080Ti for 1080p gaming though. Seems a waste.

Waste? 1080ti is like the first card that can keep above 100fps even on 1080p with all maxed, add downsampling to that and its under 100fps again... yeah waste!

Only thing where it might be "waste" is 1080p 60hz but even then you can downsample to 4k to have pretty stable 60fps.

Once you downsample or run 3 or more 1080p screens, you'll run into the GPU limit again (as you have just described).

People playing modern games at 4K, downsampled or native, will only very rarely run into the CPU limit with a 2500K at or above 4GHz.

Vipu

Banned
Once you downsample or run 3 or more 1080p screens, you'll run into the GPU limit again (as you have just described).

People playing modern games at 4K, downsampled or native, will only very rarely run into the CPU limit with a 2500K at or above 4GHz.

I will always hit CPU limit myself since I want at least 144fps, so I put settings down until I hit those good frames.
OC:d 7700k is the best and cant even hit those atm, so its pretty much what someone wants what he should get.

Kevin

I wasn't going to post anything because I didn't want to annoy people, but now that you've started...

Seriously, where are they??

Hopefully next week but since we have not heard pretty much anything at all, who knows. My brother is visiting in mid April and I'm selling him my 980ti so we can do some gaming. If the custom cards are not out by then I'll be pretty bummed out. Wanted that Asus Strix card.

Top Bottom