• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

bodine1231

Is Forza Horizon still not optimized or something? Only getting frames in the mid 50's on ULtra at 1440p. I havent played it since release week.

dr_rus

Is Forza Horizon still not optimized or something? Only getting frames in the mid 50's on ULtra at 1440p. I havent played it since release week.

Play with settings a bit. Try turning MSAA off for example. It's perfectly capable of running at 60 fps now but you have to tweak it to get there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From what I've seen ASUS Strix looks like a very nice card, well put together in terms of noise, cooling and OC. Has any of the other manufacturers shown something better?

dr_rus

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Pictured

0b3959d9b8a1.jpg
a02900e93b27.jpg

COLORFUL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti iGame features LCD display

COLORFUL-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-iGame-1000x613.jpg

Zaph

Computer parts designers truly have very little taste.

It's like they're all rejected concept car designers.

One of the reasons I like Noctua so much - they do the engineering work and then just release the product as-is. I'll take bland over gaudy.

prophecy0

I'm still having issues getting it to stay at a stable 60 as well. I'm on a 4790k + 1080ti. CPU and GPU utilization both hover around 50-60%. If I turn off MSAA I can get a stable 70fps or so but there are jaggies everywhere.

Arkanius

Speaking of GOOD FORTUNE AND LUCK. Props for MSI Europe in this department.

My 980 Ti suffered a failure 2 days before the announcement of the 1080 Ti. I have been waiting for MSI to do the RMA repair, but they said they had to send me a new one and they didn't have one in stock, so, they would refund me the original value I payed for it (699€).

They also told me I could pay for a similar value product and they would adjust (Pay me back/Pay them) the difference.

I'm now a proud new owner of a 1080 Ti FE for 150€ difference.

For 1440p... that's like, a 50% increase in performance for the same W.
Too bad it's a Founders Edition and loud as heck. Probably buying an Hybrid kit in the future.

dr_rus

Computer parts designers truly have very little taste.

While true in general I think that MSI Twin Frozr VI design is among the better ones out there. In both looks and performance.

I'm still having issues getting it to stay at a stable 60 as well. I'm on a 4790k + 1080ti. CPU and GPU utilization both hover around 50-60%. If I turn off MSAA I can get a stable 70fps or so but there are jaggies everywhere.

Try using DSR / supersampling instead of MSAA.

Xyber

Speaking of GOOD FORTUNE AND LUCK. Props for MSI Europe in this department.

My 980 Ti suffered a failure 2 days before the announcement of the 1080 Ti. I have been waiting for MSI to do the RMA repair, but they said they had to send me a new one and they didn't have one in stock, so, they would refund me the original value I payed for it (699€).

They also told me I could pay for a similar value product and they would adjust (Pay me back/Pay them) the difference.

I'm now a proud new owner of a 1080 Ti FE for 150€ difference.

For 1440p... that's like, a 50% increase in performance for the same W.
Too bad it's a Founders Edition and loud as heck. Probably buying an Hybrid kit in the future.

One hell of a deal you got there since the 980ti goes for like 300 used?

laxu

While true in general I think that MSI Twin Frozr VI design is among the better ones out there. In both looks and performance.

The older ones looked a bit better visually.
msi_gtx_980ti_gaming_6g_gtx_980ti_6gddr5_gaming_1163829.jpg

It's like the folks designing these coolers, shrouds and whatnot have watched too many Michael Bay Transformers movies and just think adding more angles and edges to everything is good design.

Gojeran

Just purchased a FE from nvidia. Haven't used a blower design since my GTX 570. I was going to wait for the after market coolers but then decided a large reason I was willing to buy it was because it was "only" 700 dollars. The additional 10% or higher mark up for me wasn't worth as I don't fiddle with or OC my cards as much as I used to. Pretty excited I took the plunge. Will be selling my 980Ti to a friend. Hopefully have the card by middle of next week.

gdt

Goddamn. As always, the little clasp at the that locks is a bitch to unlock. Come on 980ti....get out.

telasoman

Has anyone played around with after market cooling from existing systems on the FE yet?

Hoping my old Kraken G10 or Hydrocoolers will fit on this sucker. Other just have to wait until they come out with one that does.

Weevilone

Goddamn. As always, the little clasp at the that locks is a bitch to unlock. Come on 980ti....get out.

Everyone should have a spadger. The flat end is perfect for this. There's no way I can get my hand in there with the huge air cooling I've got going on.

Linky

prophecy0

Anyone here upgraded from a heavily overclocked 980ti ?

Worth it ? I game in 1080p 144hz and have a Vive (VR)

See my post from earlier in the thread. My 980ti was at ~1340 on the core and ~1900 on memory.

That's at 1440p but the 1080ti is an absolute improvement. CPU limiation is a concern at 1080p but I think you'll enjoy the upgrade, especially for VR.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does any company make after market coolers for founders edition cards? Not talking water, but rather air coolers similar to these awesome EVGA ones.

prophecy0

Has anyone played around with after market cooling from existing systems on the FE yet?

Hoping my old Kraken G10 or Hydrocoolers will fit on this sucker. Other just have to wait until they come out with one that does.

I plan to use the EVGA Hybrid cooler, as described here and tested here.

You'll probably be okay w/ the Kraken as long as you put heatsinks on the VRMs.

Is there anyone here willing to sell (im in Brazil, so USPS Priority) a 1080ti for fair price ? MSRP if possible ? PM-me

Thanks !

telasoman

I plan to use the EVGA Hybrid cooler, as described here and tested here.

You'll probably be okay w/ the Kraken as long as you put heatsinks on the VRMs.

Thanks! I had seen the gaming nexus video, but I don't have the bracket that fits on with that.

I'll try out the Kraken fittings when I get home tonight and see if it'll fit, then order some vram heatsinks with some thermal tape.

My 980ti with the kraken has been fine with the vram temps, so I'm not sure if the 1080ti vram will be a big spike in terms of temp overall.

I'll probably test it and underclock the vram until I get the heatsinks in.

Arkanius

Just installed my new 1080 Ti.
The cooler looks great but... pretty disapointed with the small fan. It makes a huge rattling noise. At 50% it's a constant high pitched sound. I wouldn't mind if I just heard the AIR moving but god damn this sound.

I wonder if I can fix it. I think it's because my card is inverted and the FE cooler isn't really expecting the fan to be upside down...

Blitzhex

Just installed my new 1080 Ti.
The cooler looks great but... pretty disapointed with the small fan. It makes a huge rattling noise. At 50% it's a constant high pitched sound. I wouldn't mind if I just heard the AIR moving but god damn this sound.

I wonder if I can fix it. I think it's because my card is inverted and the FE cooler isn't really expecting the fan to be upside down...

If your fan is inverted, some fans with a certain type of bearing do click, rattle and whine. No fix to that really except getting another type of fan.
Get a CLC setup or real WC.

are you guys running dx12 when available?

with my 980ti's i completely avoided that setting, as it never brought any improvements

dr_rus

Still don't get why the Strix is being sent out to reviewers if it's not going to be released for like 3 to 5 more weeks.

AVAILABILITY & PRICING

ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1080 Ti will be available worldwide from late-March. Please contact your local ASUS representative for further information.
Depending on where you are you should be able to get one of these in a week or two. The Strix OC model may come later I think.

dr_rus

Looks like they redid the twin forzor. Wonder how the performance and cooling will be compared to the new STRIX.

They did and if you go through the link to TPU they say that "The company is gunning for making this the quietest air-cooled GTX 1080 Ti money can buy, and so it invested "heavily" on beefing up the heatsink, the underlying heatspreaders, and tuning the fans to focus on low-noise, while keeping the GPU far away from the 82°C thermal-throttle."

Kevin

Depending on where you are you should be able to get one of these in a week or two. The Strix OC model may come later I think.

Didn't realize the OC one was further out. They reviewed it a few days ago. I assumed it would release in early April at the latest. Will be disappointed if that is not the case.

Compsiox

Banned
Didn't realize the OC one was further out. They reviewed it a few days ago. I assumed it would release in early April at the latest. Will be disappointed if that is not the case.

The thing is the OC edition and the Turbo are the only ones listed on the site. Did they mean the OC edition?

They did and if you go through the link to TPU they say that "The company is gunning for making this the quietest air-cooled GTX 1080 Ti money can buy, and so it invested "heavily" on beefing up the heatsink, the underlying heatspreaders, and tuning the fans to focus on low-noise, while keeping the GPU far away from the 82°C thermal-throttle."

Hmm I might hold out for one of these then. Wonder if the clocks will be the same as the STRIX.

Smokey

I forgot about DSR on Geforce cards. I enabled it and tried BF1. Resolution was 5120 x 2880. Everything stayed on max settings. Played on the new Soissons DLC map, and still averaged 85fps.

whew

Top Bottom