• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD Commissioner blames the Orlando Attacks on Republican congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
...The Republican Congress.

lqXxaRN.jpg

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/14/wat...nra/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

New York City Police Commissioner Bill Bratton appeared on MSNBC’s Morning Joe Tuesday and had some harsh words for the Republican Congressmen who refuse to enact harsher gun control legislation in the wake of repeated mass-shootings.

Panelist Mike Barnicle asked Bratton “what goes through [his] mind” when, for example, “on December 3rd, 2014, the day after the San Bernardino massacre, fifty-four members of the United States Senate voted against a bill that would have allowed people on the terror watch-list to be prohibited from purchasing a gun.”

Bratton minced no words, replying “shame on them — shame on them that they are totally beholden, that they prostitute themselves in front of the NRA.”

“They put the interest of their own political careers and that of the NRA ahead of the American people,” he added. “As presidential candidate Hillary Clinton [said] in the clip you just showed, the idea of the threat of the terrorist watch-list [is non-existent] — you can go and buy a gun, [or] you’re on a no-fly list, and you can go and buy a gun.”

“And they’re now proposing,” Bratton continued, “that if you’re under an investigation by the FBI for terrorism activity — then you might be precluded from getting a gun.” However, “with this Congress, I would not hold my breathe waiting for any meaningful action.”

video:
http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/nypd-commissioner-slams-congress-on-guns-705151555605

edit: Apologize for the click-bait title. So often it seems like these things go the other way, and I thought this would be a pleasant surprise.

Neifirst

Does anyone have a link to a good side-by-side comparison of U.S. personal firearms laws/regulations to European nations? I'm frustrated by news coverage insofar as I haven't come across a politician or other policy advocate giving a clear, point-by-point recommendation of gun restrictions. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places...

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is it a broken clock? Perhaps. I have to fight the urge that people I find contemptible have no viewpoints I can support. Surely one establishment has a strong sense of preservation that's powerful enough to go against another establishment which it shares similar contemptible beliefs with. Its excellent affirmation on just how serious this particular topic is.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Why do GOP congresspersons refuse to use the words "Radical Republicanism"?

Any deviancy or crime is mental illness of an individual and does not reflect on their race, religion, or culture. What type of person would even suggest anything but that?

(What happened to your tag? Which Drazi are the leaders now?)

I feel like the only way that the GOP might actually support gun control initiatives is if more law enforcement members come forward denouncing Republican inaction and the incessant gun violence.

Or maybe not and then their tendency to use pro-police rhetoric to score easy points with the right would finally reveal how disingenuous they really are. Win-kinda-win?

commedieu

Banned
He's right about this point. Glad to hear it.

Only wish this blatant honesty was reflected in handling the NYPD, which is a virtual gang at this point.

...but we've had part of this discussion on NeoGAF when bills like this have been defeated in the past. The "no-fly" lists specifically are bullshit. If owning a firearm is a right - and though many may not like or accept it, that's what SCOTUS determined - then denying someone that right because they were arbitrarily placed on some nonsense list is necessarily denying someone a fundamental right without due process.

I'm certainly a fan of increased restrictions on gun ownership, but targeting brown people who haven't been convicted of anything isn't really something we should be exploring, even if it feels good in the wake of the shooting.

Honestly, I really hope that them trying to politicize the shooting backfires and that the big story that everyone hears is that Republicans blocked a bill that would prevent terrorists from getting weapons.

kess

I'm actually shocked to see so much pushback from so many unexpected sources today. I guess Trump's wild assertions and the unchecked conspiracy theories floating around the last few days set quite a few people off.

you know, even if the rifle was banned, couldn't someone radicalized and brainwashed this bad just blow up the club instead?

Madness

you know, even if the rifle was banned, couldn't someone radicalized and brainwashed this bad just blow up the club instead?

Even if the rifle was banned, anyone who is going to go through with this kind of attack would still be able to procure something similar. America as the largest gun manufacturer and exporter in the world is always going to have an issue with guns. Hell most of the gun related incidents we are seeing in Canada are due to guns coming across the border. Like we saw in France and the prevented attack on the french train, anyone committed enough will be able to get the weaponry needed for their attack. Really makes you wonder what the solution even is. There are 300 million plus guns in the US. Assault rifles have no place in a modern society. There is literally no reason for any ordinary citizen to have that kind of weaponry.

What really pisses me off is that somehow they feel that more guns are the answer. That if somehow concealed carry and a handgun for everyone will make them safer. This was in Florida of all places

Does the NYPD Commissioner know that the Orlando killer was removed from the terrorist watch list 2 years ago? He was only put on it briefly because he had some email contact with another American-born terrorist who performed a suicide bombing in the Middle East, and after 2 visits the FBI concluded he was not a threat and removed him.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...ken-off-a-terrorist-1465772737-htmlstory.html

So yeah, great to get worked up about it but seems kind of pointless since even if Congress passed an (unconstitutional) law that people can get their constitutional rights restricted without due process, it would have done absolutely nothing in this case since the terrorist was not on the list when he bought his guns this year.

Does the NYPD Commissioner know that the Orlando killer was removed from the terrorist watch list 2 years ago? He was only put on it briefly because he had some email contact with another American-born terrorist who performed a suicide bombing in the Middle East, and after 2 visits the FBI concluded he was not a threat and removed him.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...ken-off-a-terrorist-1465772737-htmlstory.html

So yeah, great to get worked up about it but seems kind of pointless since even if Congress passed an (unconstitutional) law that people can get their constitutional rights restricted without due process, it would have done absolutely nothing in this case since the terrorist was not on the list when he bought his guns this year.
I think that's not really his point but the "prostitution" of congressmen voting in favor of the NRA.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Woosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom