• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: A Year of Hype; Some of it Actually Justified

mj1108

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/arts/24schi.html?ref=arts

By SETH SCHIESEL
Published: December 24, 2006

FOR most gamers and the people who love them (and sell to them), 2006 was the year they were waiting for. Following last year’s debut of the Xbox 360 from Microsoft, the introduction of new consoles by the Japanese game giants Sony and Nintendo meant that the battle to dominate the next generation of interactive entertainment could finally begin.

But that wasn’t the only big news in the game world. Here are the most important, intriguing and just plain amusing developments of 2006.

Best Leap From Mere Game to Pop-Culture Fixture: World of Warcraft. It may have first hit the market in late 2004. And it may have grown really popular in 2005. But 2006 was when the best online game yet established its place as the most far-reaching global game phenomenon since Pac-Man. Forget about the more than seven million paying subscribers: once an entire episode of “South Park” has been devoted to your game, you know you’ve arrived.

Best Wrenching Change: The Death of E3. Sure, the parties were great, but the elephantine Electronic Entertainment Expo each spring in Los Angeles had clearly ballooned beyond the point of usefulness. Faced with a revolt by companies tired of spending $8 million every year so thousands of game-store clerks could monopolize the demonstration kiosks, the Entertainment Software Association wisely ended the show. Starting next year, E3 will be a much smaller, exclusive event for insiders. As one senior game industry executive aptly put it: “Look, to run this business effectively there are really only 150 people that I need to deal with worldwide. The other 80,000 people coming to E3 made it almost impossible to actually get any business done.”

Best Job of Living Up to the Hype: Gears of War. Even before the Xbox 360 came out, Microsoft was talking an immense amount about how Gears of War would redefine console shooters for the next generation. Every time Sony showed off Resistance: Fall of Man, Microsoft said, “Just wait for Gears.” It took long enough, but Gears delivered, even surpassing some of the superheated expectations Microsoft and the developers at Epic Games in North Carolina had created. In fact, they set a high bar for the next installment of that other Xbox shooter series (due in 2007), a little franchise called Halo.

Worst Job of Living Up to the Hype: Sony PlayStation 3. It’s understandable why Sony worked up such a lather about the PS3 before it came out: it wanted consumers to hold off buying the Xbox 360. But after so many years of buildup, after so many delays and retrenchments, it was flabbergasting when Sony delivered a mediocre product. The PS3 does nothing that the Xbox 360 does not accomplish at least as well (and in some cases far better) and for less money. The most important video game story of 2007 will be whether Sony can rebound and turn the PS3 into the must-have machine so many players were awaiting.

Best Job of Bringing Gaming Back to the Masses: Nintendo Wii. If anyone in the game world can be called visionary, it is the senior executive team at Nintendo. Satoru Iwata, Shigeru Miyamoto and company realized that since the 1980s gaming had largely devolved from mass-market entertainment (like Pac-Man and Galaga) to niche hobby for hard-core young men. The Wii breaks that mold beautifully; it’s the first game system in decades that a family can enjoy together. If my 61-year-old mother can play it, anyone can.

Best Retreat From the Grandstand: Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Joseph I. Lieberman. In the aftermath of the Hot Coffee “scandal” of 2005, when the makers of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas were accused of concealing a sexually suggestive scene, Senator Clinton and Senator Lieberman said they lacked confidence in the Entertainment Software Ratings Board’s game-classification system and introduced a bill requiring the federal government to regulate the sale of games nationwide. The bill went nowhere, possibly because in recent years federal judges have blocked similar measures taken at the state and municipal levels more than a half-dozen times. Coincidentally, perhaps, the senators didn’t talk much about their bill in 2006, and on Dec. 7 they held a news conference to endorse a new campaign promoting the ratings system.

Best Reinvigoration of an Endangered Genre: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. With so much attention (and so many dollars) going to online role-playing games like World of Warcraft, their illustrious offline, single-player counterparts appeared thisclose to extinction. That is, until Oblivion demonstrated how a single-player game can in some ways provide an epic experience and heroic story line no online diversion can match.

The Lead Foot Award (a k a Best Job of Keeping the Pedal to the Metal): Microsoft.
What else would you expect from the company that has taken down competitor after competitor in market after market over the last three decades? Microsoft’s Gatesian relentlessness was on prime display across the game world in 2006, most clearly in the continued evolution of Xbox Live, the best online game service around. Besides being peerlessly easy to use, the system can download movies and television shows to your Xbox 360. The company also rediscovered the fact that the world’s most popular game machine is no console, but the PC. With the introduction of Windows Vista (and its heavy emphasis on gaming) in early 2007, Microsoft isn’t likely to let up.

Game of the Year: Wii Sports. What is gaming supposed to be all about? How many pixels are on the screen? Technical mumbo jumbo like memory throughput and high dynamic-range lighting? No. Gaming is supposed to be about fun, and Wii Sports delivered more fun more quickly than anything else I played in 2006. (Helping kill the evil god C’Thun in World of Warcraft was pretty cool too, but that took dozens of hours of practice.) Within minutes of picking up the Wii controller, you and your most game-phobic friends and relatives are laughing and smiling while playing tennis, sinking birdies and trying to bowl that elusive 300 game. Good times.

Best Job of Bringing Gaming Back to the Masses: Nintendo Wii.

I got to wonder though...at what context was it even lost especially considering gaming has gotten bigger the last few generations?

Near 40 million PS2s and another 20 million between Xbox and GC, with 30+ million with GBA out of an entire generation....how much "more to the masses" are we getting here?

Big-E

w52963206.jpg

mj1108 said:
Worst Job of Living Up to the Hype: Sony PlayStation 3. It’s understandable why Sony worked up such a lather about the PS3 before it came out: it wanted consumers to hold off buying the Xbox 360. But after so many years of buildup, after so many delays and retrenchments, it was flabbergasting when Sony delivered a mediocre product. The PS3 does nothing that the Xbox 360 does not accomplish at least as well (and in some cases far better) and for less money. The most important video game story of 2007 will be whether Sony can rebound and turn the PS3 into the must-have machine so many players were awaiting.

Hey look - the hate is recyclable.

Pikelet

Best Reinvigoration of an Endangered Genre: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. With so much attention (and so many dollars) going to online role-playing games like World of Warcraft, their illustrious offline, single-player counterparts appeared thisclose to extinction. That is, until Oblivion demonstrated how a single-player game can in some ways provide an epic experience and heroic story line no online diversion can match.
What? Singleplayer rpgs are endangered?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

Bingo.

MassiveAttack said:
Hey look - the hate is recyclable.

It's true, isn't it? The PS3 is an impressive machine, but what is it good for right now? Playing Resistance and watching the few good movies available on Blu-Ray format. And that second one only counts if you have an HDTV. So, for a mass market machine, it's way underdelivered at this point.

Remember, too, it's an opinion piece.

ethelred

yoopoo said:
Yep its just hate, not the truth.

Hey, look, it's funny how people have different opinions.

_leech_ said:
Replace "Playstation 3" with "Playstation 2" and "Xbox" with "Dreamcast" and you basically have late-2000 all over again.

Er... no, not really.

Big-E

Pikelet said:

Agreed. Though I think they are being a little harsh on the PS3 this comment just screws up his entire rant. Square-Enix should take notice, they need to make Oblivion type games or they will die. Not even Dragaon Quest IX can save them :lol

_leech_ said:
Replace "Playstation 3" with "Playstation 2" and "Xbox" with "Dreamcast" and you basically have late-2000 all over again.

Yeah, it's all too familiar.

Eh, it's the beginning of a new generation, all these systems will go into their own in due time, with the occasional rises and stumbles along the way.

As critical as GAF can be of stories like this (well, pretty much any thing published about gaming at any time), I shudder to think of what some of the posters here would write to the masses if the NYT were their forum.

Striek

I agree with alot except Wii Sports GOTY. GTFO. I finally played it, and a new and arguably better control scheme does not excuse it for being a turd. 2006 had plenty of awesome games and that is not one of them.

Game of the Year: Wii Sports. What is gaming supposed to be all about? How many pixels are on the screen? Technical mumbo jumbo like memory throughput and high dynamic-range lighting? No. Gaming is supposed to be about fun, and Wii Sports delivered more fun more quickly than anything else I played in 2006. (Helping kill the evil god C’Thun in World of Warcraft was pretty cool too, but that took dozens of hours of practice.) Within minutes of picking up the Wii controller, you and your most game-phobic friends and relatives are laughing and smiling while playing tennis, sinking birdies and trying to bowl that elusive 300 game. Good times.
oh snap!

man, is this the most varied year for GOTY ever?

Why do people keep hyping the "death of e3". From IGN to Time, everyone seems to think its the biggest story of the year when in fact nothing is changing that 98% of people will notice. No, its not dead, they simply kicked out a ton of people that had no reason to be there in the first place.

Monk

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I got to wonder though...at what context was it even lost especially considering gaming has gotten bigger the last few generations?

Near 40 million PS2s and another 20 million between Xbox and GC, with 30+ million with GBA out of an entire generation....how much "more to the masses" are we getting here?

Hes talking out of a familty unit how many people can play videogames. Last gen it has been the young male of the family only. During the NES days you had virtually the whole family playing games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
_leech_ said:

Yeah cuz the 360 is going to be pulled off the shelf soon because Microsoft is knee-deep in debt ... oh wait.

Jammy

Banned
I agree with pretty much everything the article says... although I do think Zelda: TP should be game of the year. I understand where they're coming from with everything, though.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

There has been a explosion in the reclusive nerd population. They're the ones buying consoles and fantasizing about being gangstaz and night elves. I blame the internet.

Pikelet said:

Singleplayer RPGs seem to be doing just fine . . . maybe he meant non-Japanese singleplayer console RPGs. That cuts it down to almost nothing.

Adventure games are the ones really in trouble . . . the genre is mostly dead. It has been replaced by action-adventures such as Zelda:TP and Tomb Raider:Legend (which is fine, IMHO) but there are not enough of them.

BorkBork said:
Yeah cuz the 360 is going to be pulled off the shelf soon because Microsoft is knee-deep in debt ... oh wait.

Not saying that at all, just saying the general tone of the system (the PS3) is pretty much the same as the PS2 when it launched. It faced a Dreamcast that cost half the price, had better games, and did things equally as well or better (online).

ethelred

_leech_ said:
Selective memories?

Why don't you go on Lexis and find some of these articles, because I certainly don't recall the larger, mainstream media saying anything like you're suggesting they are. Call that selective if you will, but why not prove it if they were so common?

thekad

Banned
_leech_ said:
Not saying that at all, just saying the general tone of the system (the PS3) is pretty much the same as the PS2 when it launched. It faced a Dreamcast that cost half the price, had better games, and did things equally as well or better (online).

Yeah, and you're predicting that we will have the same outcome this generation and everything points to the opposite occurring.

Not to mention, PS3 is getting a lot more negative press this time around.

Monk said:
Hes talking out of a familty unit how many people can play videogames. Last gen it has been the young male of the family only. During the NES days you had virtually the whole family playing games.

That's a blatant lie. In the NES days only the most hardcore nerds played video games; big glasses, greasy hair, etc. Its simply that retro gaming has caught on lately because in part that most of the games require pressing only one or two buttons. Sloshed at a party? Play some super mario.

KINGMOKU

The strangest thing about this article, and the many others like it, is that I am getting a Gamecube vibe.

Deja-vu, just a different manufacturer.

Bizzaro world confirmed.

Avalon

Dahbomb said:
I didn't realize that RPGs were a dying genre....

Maybe they meant western RPGs?

If Oblivion represents the future, then a very essential part of them is already dead.

NYT sure likes to smack Sony around when they are down don't they?

skybaby

_leech_ said:
Yeah. Replace Sega with Microsoft. That logic works fine sir.

Effulgence said:
Why do people keep hyping the "death of e3". From IGN to Time, everyone seems to think its the biggest story of the year when in fact nothing is changing that 98% of people will notice. No, its not dead, they simply kicked out a ton of people that had no reason to be there in the first place.

For most people who actually work in the industry, it was the best news of the year. Whatever the change, E3 is effectively dead and none too soon.

Joe Molotov

ethelred said:
Why don't you go on Lexis and find some of these articles, because I certainly don't recall the larger, mainstream media saying anything like you're suggesting they are. Call that selective if you will, but why not prove it if they were so common?

The only thing that I can remember like that is the IGN's DC vs. PS2 video and all the hysteria surrounding the "DOA2 LOOKS BETTER ON THE DC THAN THE PS2!!!!!!!!!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!" debacle.

Monk

Banned
Effulgence said:
That's a blatant lie. In the NES days only the most hardcore nerds played video games; big glasses, greasy hair, etc. Its simply that retro gaming has caught on lately because in part that most of the games require pressing only one or two buttons. Sloshed at a party? Play some super mario.

WTF? My dad played zelda 1&2 back then with the Wii hes playing them all over again. My friend's entire family played it. It sort of decreased with the SNES. But i remember the NES ERA so vividly, while it was still considered a toy, getting the whole family interested to play mario a bit was possible.

thekad said:
Yeah, and you're predicting that we will have the same outcome this generation and everything points to the opposite occurring.

He just said he meant the tone of the launch and not the outcome!

Does no one remember the PS2 launch and negativity surrounding it?

Massively overhyped (nothing has come close to PS2 in terms of the hype surrounding it), VRAM, higher costs, no games, DC cheaper and better games, etc.

Seriously does no one remember?

Or are you guys simply associating how the X360=DC in terms of demise because that's what you instantly glued to?

Striek said:
I agree with alot except Wii Sports GOTY. GTFO. I finally played it, and a new and arguably better control scheme does not excuse it for being a turd. 2006 had plenty of awesome games and that is not one of them.

It is game of the year for non-gamers. But for gamers, it was an amusing sideshow. Fun, but lacking in any depth.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Massively overhyped (nothing has come close to PS2 in terms of the hype surrounding it), VRAM, higher costs, no games, DC cheaper and better games, etc.

Or are you guys simply associating how the X60=DC in terms of demise because that's what you instantly glued to?

You'll have to forgive them. They were born after the PS2 launch.

ethelred

Effulgence said:

Eh, it is possible he means pre-NES days, even. Atari and early computer gaming were pretty huge in terms of mass appeal. And I disagree with you even in terms of the NES... I think that was pretty big, too, and it WAS more widely accepted as an entertainment device for the family.

speculawyer said:
It is game of the year for non-gamers. But for gamers, it was an amusing sideshow. Fun, but lacking in any depth.

Maybe, maybe not. Plenty of gamers have praised it, too. And it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that this guy's a non-gamer (he's praising the hell out of World of Warcraft, Oblivion, and Gears of War) or that his justifications for selecting Wii Sports were based on non-gamerism.

Monk

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:

Or are you guys simply associating how the X60=DC in terms of demise because that's what you instantly glued to?

Among gamers it was such a big issue, but the mainstream media didnt seem notice. Though i remember the doom & gloom of the GC when they were comparing it with the Xbox.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Uh . . . I got a PS2 at launch and there wasn't much negativity. Dreamcast is the one that had more negativity since it followed the Saturn which bombed as bad as the Atari Jaguar, 3D0, and CD-I.

Sony was coming off the successful PS1 and had some great games at lauch such as SSX.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Sometimes PR spin works and people believe it. The industry thinks it has reached its potential market in the developed markets of NA, Europe, and Japan. In all honesty, they won't extended the market radically farther than it already is and they know it. What they need to do is push further into new markets. Create a relaible 4th major territory (pricing will be an obvious issue here as the 4th will be a developing nation/region economically) to rival the old big three............and then help establish a software development scene in that area for a 4th perspective in the global game software market.

ethelred said:
Maybe, maybe not. Plenty of gamers have praised it, too. And it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that this guy's a non-gamer (he's praising the hell out of World of Warcraft, Oblivion, and Gears of War) or that his justifications for selecting Wii Sports were based on non-gamerism.

Wii Sports is a very fun game and as a gamer I'm praising it. But it lacks depth. It is most fun as multiplayer.

And I'm sure he is a gamer, but he knows that he is writing for a mainstream audience in NY Times so that is the way he is skewing his article.

speculawyer said:
Uh . . . I got a PS2 at launch and there wasn't much negativity. Dreamcast is the one that had more negativity since it followed the Saturn which bombed as bad as the Atari Jaguar, 3D0, and CD-I.

Sony was coming off the successful PS1 and had some great games at lauch such as SSX.

Yeah, wasn't the cover of Time like "Holy Crap, You Are Going Jitt All Over This Thing"?

It's awfully convenient to claim that everything is exactly the same this time around in some reductive statement like "Replace 'PS3' with 'PS2' and 'Xbox' with 'Dreamcast'", but that doesn't hold any kind of water. Especially when you consider that places like Time were full on riding the PS2's jock with cover stories that basically said "Holy Crap, You Are Going To Jitt All Over This Thing". And I bought a PS2 at launch. I remember it distinctly. I don't remember having to justify it to anyone, to talk down bad press to my friends, to explain the price. I didn't have to leap over any of the hurdles facing the PS3 today.

It's a completely different landscape. But in the long run, none of it is going to make a difference. It's a launch with launchy problems. I don't see why so many people feel like they have to be this dude:
tianan08.jpg

When the PS3 is in the place it needs to be, no one is going to care. Why do so many people feel the need to detract these sorts of articles. Its the same mentality that has people screaming up and down, in a gaming forum no less, that the PS3 is available for $500. No. Duh.

So today's newsflash is that the mainstream media is boiling down a complex launch scenario into four or five sentences with some zazz? Why do you care. NYT is just jumping onto a bandwagon that's already well along its wagon trail. It's drawing on popular perception and no amount of factual information is going to derail that train, not a for month or two at least.

Is it a law of the universe that every bit of great Sony news must be balanced with more moaning about the launch?

GTHD came out today, in case anybody missed it. To the article's point about the ps3 not doing anything the Xbox 360 doesn't-- it does now.

And again, the online is free. I think that's worth something, expecially since I own consoles for years. Makes the PS3 effectively cheaper than the Xbox 360.

Ignatz Mouse said:
GTHD came out today, in case anybody missed it. To the article's point about the ps3 not doing anything the Xbox 360 doesn't-- it does now.

Besides releasing a demo of a game called GTHD, what exactly didn't it do?

Hunter D

_leech_ said:
Replace "Playstation 3" with "SNES" and "Xbox" with "Genesis" and you basically have early-1990 all over again.

This gen mirrors the 16 bit gen much more.

Top Bottom