• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is a bit crazy though. Obsessed with Soros and insisiting everything is ok because other countries are more evill, so it must be allowed until those other countries become less evil.

I tweeted her and asked if she'd care to comment about the WP op-ed. Looking at her feed I'm sure I'll get a derail about Soros or Mecca or something that has nothing to do with the ban she said wouldn't happen.

That's an almost impressive stroke of evil genius if it was intentional.

I just worry this could ignite some kind of attack by extremists. It's been said Trump has been used as recruiting tools for ISIS.

Foreign Extremists are looking at the USA and are thinking "Our work here is done".

They don't bother attacking Australia either, because they take a look and say the same thing.

Blowing stuff up wasn't their end goal. This is it. Enjoy it.

Hollycat

Trump is worse than I thought he would be, and so much scarier. His party controls all three branches of government and he controls by far the most powerful military in the world. No matter what he does, nobody can truly make him stop as things sit now. I don't know if we can trust a Republican backed congress rk stop him, they might even support all of this and worse. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now he tries to repeal term limits for president, or do something to permanently prevent more rational parties from gaining power.

I hope this isn't the end of America.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
If there was justice the EU should isolate all of America until you take your heads out your asses.
Once elections in France and the Netherlands pan out, I expect EU to take actions against the US, because by that point trump will surely have soured EU relationship.

What fucking problem is this even attempting to solve?

Terrorism always needs fresh and new people so that the idea can live on and the terror continous, I guess terrorists struggled to get the recruitment numbers high enough in recent times so Trump is helping them out with a free PR campaign.

Fox Mulder

Don't get your hopes up. If Americans did not get out to stop Trump from getting in office in the first first place, they certainly won't do jack shit now.

The election was supposed to be a landslide for hillary even as results were coming in. Millions already don't vote, but that didn't help either.

If voting turnout is still shit after this, nothing will change that.

fester

Banned
PM me your Facebook so I can join in the discussion?

With comments about fist fights, it doesn't sound like much discussion is happening anymore. And to be honest, I'm at that point, too. Come at me with your racist bullshit and I will lay you out. Sorry MLKjr, I'm not a strong enough person to take up the non-violent path. :(

Drifters

EU will do something about waves of immigrants coming in because of all internal tensions among citizens and immigrants are growing, which do and could result in riots, violence etc. Will it be something like what Trump did here? I don't think EU will go that far.

Anything less than something like this (imo) would be viewed as a half measure but again, I 100% fully disagree with what Trump is doing.

The salient points on how F'ed this is:
- The United States government is building a new "gold standard" database of legal immigrants
- The United States is asking those 7 countries to validate their new "gold standard" database of refugees, visa workers and green card holders.
- The United States for the next 90-120 days is going to have to endure endless strife of people who are here "legally" already to re-fill out paperwork
- The United States will review the original 7 countries and could potentially add other member countries if they were to be found as countries of origin for "Terror" ties
- The United States Department of Homeland and FBI will have 120 days from today to revamp the US Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) of which carry a stiff requirements of documentation and provisions
- The United States will deny benefits of any kind in the form of monetary, aid or otherwise noted as "benefit" to people here on green card, visa or refugee status if they are from one of the 7 parent countries or documentation has not met the newly required criterion.

All of this will have have reports from Department of Homeland, FBI and the National Intelligence 90, 120 and 200 days post introduction to this order.

We are literally sponsoring new internment camps for those who do not have the required paperwork. I wonder what mark we're going to choose for those who don't belong here. Sad, sad day.

rjinaz

Foreign Extremists are looking at the USA and are thinking "Our work here is done".

They don't bother attacking Australia either, because they take a look and say the same thing.

Blowing stuff up wasn't their end goal. This is it. Enjoy it.

I don't know. It's easy to see that America is one attack away from Muslim registration and then camps. If I were a terrorist, I'd say this is the absolute best time to hit America. They would destroy everything this country stands for. Make "The Siege" reality.

I suspect we won't be left alone, even though I hope we are.

Trump is worse than I thought he would be, and so much scarier. His party controls all three branches of government and he controls by far the most powerful military in the world. No matter what he does, nobody can truly make him stop as things sit now. I don't know if we can trust a Republican backed congress rk stop him, they might even support all of this and worse. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now he tries to repeal term limits for president, or do something to permanently prevent more rational parties from gaining power.

It is the end of America as we know it. The only question is what the country is going to be when we pick up the pieces.

Gutek

The election was supposed to be a landslide for hillary even as results were coming in. Millions already don't vote, but that didn't help either.

If voting turnout is still shit after this, nothing will change that.

There's not gonna be another uncompromised election after this for a long time.

UberTag

White house staffers themselves say that the plan is to expand and extend the order. It's only 90 days because this isn't the final draft.
White house staffers are also saying that these aren't the only countries that are going to be hung out to dry for inbound refugees, existing Green card holders and foreign aid workers...

Immigration%20Ban.png

Don't worry, though... if you're in or from a country Donald Trump has foreign business dealings with, you're probably in the clear.

proxy.jpg

Fox Mulder

I just worry this could ignite some kind of attack by extremists. It's been said Trump has been used as recruiting tools for ISIS.

They won. Why even attack us anymore. They killed American democracy and standing in the world with a few hijacked planes. They made us the villians as we just blanket banned an entire group of people.

Future

This was said before the election, but:

Dick Cheney Thinks Trump's Muslim Ban Is 'Against Everything We Stand For'

Damn you Trump for making me agree with Cheney.

This is a major reason he won the election. This is exactly what they stand for

WTF America

How does he get away with this?

See above. He said he was going to do this. He's doing it.

This reminds me of the snl skit where chapelle and Chris rock were the only one surprised about what america REALLY is. Decades, hell a century of inability to handle diversity allows him to get away with this. People PRAISE this publicly with pride because they know that half of America backs them

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Terrorists getting in the country
How many terrorist attacks from foreigners in the last 15 years on US soil? Isn't it zero? I think it's zero. So now Fox News and Trump convinced 25% of americans they were under attack, whereas gun lobbies are a real, massive problem, that should be your first priority to save lives.

You got dupped, and the world is now in big trouble under this administration.

Talents

Banned
It's fucked up but it''s pretty impressive that he's managed to make all this happen already and has stuck with a lot of what he said he would do. Why haven't other presidents stuck to their words to this degree?

They won't. The courts will have to save these people.

Too bad if anything filters up it will hit the SC which will be predominantly conservative as Trump gets to fill the current opening and potentially any other openings during his 4-8 year reign of terror.

Even weird about this ban: the countries he is targeting AND his reasoning for said ban dont match up. "This would have prevented 9/11" except Im pretty sure they didnt come from the places we are now banning. Also, lets forgot that San Bernadino was a natural born citizen.

Or hell, lets take this to its natural conclusion: this is giving more fuel to ISIS and other such groups. I mean, this is exactly the proof they need to show that the western powers hate Muslims and give a reason to fight back. So I hope Trump and GOP are going to acknowledge the blood on their hands if/when something happens.

Fox Mulder

It's fucked up but it''s pretty impressive that he's managed to make all this happen already and has stuck with a lot of what he said he would do. Why haven't other presidents stuck to their words to this degree?

Republicans control the entire government, even down to local levels in all but a few states now.

You can't. Members of GOP are either fine with this or are too afraid of pissing off Trump's base to bother speaking up.

Because abusing Executive Orders every day right from the start is something that's typically looked down upon.

Darknight

Dem presidents pander to the right. I really hope the next one is on a "no fucks given" and is hard left.

Anyone know if this affects Central/South America travel? I wonder if you have DACA, if you can still leave/return with advance parole. (which is rumored to be killed off)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Its only going to get worse from now on.
This is only the first week.

At some point the democrats need to demand something or threaten to raise hell.

Absolutely disgusting. Please any other country or the EU take up our place as "superpower." The world cannot depend on the US any longer. We are trash and our government and nearly half the country are trash with them.

FUCK TRUMP. FUCK ANY INHUMAN ECONOMICALLY ANXIOUS FUCK WHO VOTED FOR HIM

His party controls all three branches of government, the opposition party is spineless and useless, the media is craven and profit driven.

Dont forget that the opposition party cant vote for their ideals/prevention of all this if the candidate at the top of the ticket is not the candidate they idealize. In that case they either dont show up or vote third party, both acquiescing a Trump victory. And before people shout "then the Dems should have had a better candidate," fuck that noise as lots of republicans didnt like Trump as their candidate BUT they still voted him in to prevent a democrat victory as they care that the party that aligns with their views as a whole is in office. On the left, we cant see the forest for the trees and rather not engage in the process if we dont have a candidate we are madly in love with and that is disappointing and how we end up with this fucking terrifying world we are in now.

Zaph

They generally do.

And while I don't mean to pick on you specifically, you're kinda part of the problem. By only paying attention to Trump's outrageous policies, it builds the narrative that only he does what he says. It's simply not true - it's just other politicians usually have much more 'boring' aims - like improving the economy in a sustainable way, improving relations, improving healthcare etc. You know, humane thing.

Also, it's a whole lot easier to tear something down, or block/stop something, than it is to create. Creating costs money, time and support. Shutting down borders just requires an order (at least until the courts challenge it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom