• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDes

Is it though? A vote for Trump is a vote for Trump. So too is abstaining from voting for Clinton either by not voting or voting for 3rd party candidates which will never EVER win the election (GOP and DNC have seen to that by making it arbitrarily difficult to get on ballots or even to debates). All those folks together allowed us to get into this place.

Right but that's not how he keeps getting away with this awful shit, that's how did he even get to be in this position in the first place.

Which while entwined is a separate issue, whether people will learn to swallow their pride in the midterms will be interesting (read depressing) to see though

UberTag

The silence from Dems and Reps is deafening.
They no longer have any say in how this government is run.
They have been prostrated by Trump and Bannon.

That's right. Democrats AND Republicans both.

They no longer run the US government. The right-wing media runs the US authoritarian regime.
And that's why they consider the mainstream media to be the opposition party.

Dont forget that the opposition party cant vote for their ideals/prevention of all this if the candidate at the top of the ticket is not the candidate they idealize. In that case they either dont show up or vote third party, both acquiescing a Trump victory. And before people shout "then the Dems should have had a better candidate," fuck that noise as lots of republicans didnt like Trump as their candidate BUT they still voted him in to prevent a democrat victory as they care that the party that aligns with their views as a whole is in office. On the left, we cant see the forest for the trees and rather not engage in the process if we dont have a candidate we are madly in love with and that is disappointing and how we end up with this fucking terrifying world we are in now.

This

Future

A week in, at is allready turning out worse then imagined.

I wonder if this how it felt for republicans every second obama was in the White House. The obama hate was so passionate even when he wasn't doing anything.

Obama speech on hope: republican rage
Trump stops muslims from entering US legally: democrat rage

"Both sides"

Woorloog

Banned
Yes, if you have a green card and are from the 9 countries currently listed. It is worth noting its for 3 months, but god knows what happens after those 3 months.

Undoubtedly it gets extended. Trump the fuckface will just claim he made the US safer (with no real proof, of course), and extends the ban. And his fascism loving supporters will lap it up.

mid83

Blah blah blah I'm the president.

Right, but aren't they tied to the text of the Executive Order in question? Either we have customs officials taking it too far on their own accord by stopping anybody with a passport from one of the seven counties, or the White House gave explicit orders to do so despite the more limited text of the executive order.

All Bannon wants is to watch the world burn.
And he has access to every single key to make that happen.

What's happened over the past 9 days... this is Bannon pulling the limbs and wings off of insects and watching them crawl around in suffering while he smiles in amusement.

For all intents and purposes, this IS a game to him. A very sick, dehumanizing game. And it's a game he will continue to play with people's lives until he's stopped.

His statement about the press being the enemy was pretty telling.

He said things like 'quote this' and then really laid into them over the defeat, the embarrassment, etc. He bundled the Dems, press and all 'others' into one ball, which he had now kicked into the gutter. It was 'FUCK YES I HAVE HAD YEARS OF PAIN AND NOW I GET MY OWN BACK'.

Small problem is insecure immature irrational douchebags hurt a lot of people in their impossible quest for having their own inadequacies and failings erased from history.

BigDes

Undoubtedly it gets extended. Trump the fuckface will just claim he made the US safer (with no real proof, of course), and extends the ban. And his fascism loving supporters will lap it up.

Yep

If something bad happens on US soil, he gets to double down and go even more hardline because obviously this ban wait sorry 'suspension' doesn't go far enough.

If nothing bad happens he gets to take credit for it.

Ms.Galaxy

I can already see where this is going. This law isn't even going to stop ISIS related terrorist in the U.S., consider most of them were caused by American born Muslim citizens. What he just did added fuel to the fire and gave ISIS more recruiting power. When another ISIS terrorist attack happens in the U.S., it will be from an American Muslim citizen, and Trump is going to use that to likely start tossing every Muslim citizen into camps as he declares a national crisis, just like FDR did.

Yep

If something bad happens on US soil, he gets to double down and go even more hardline because obviously this ban wait sorry 'suspension' doesn't go far enough.

If nothing bad happens he gets to take credit for it.

That sounds like a pretty good reason for another terrorist attack.

It will be expanded both in length and countries, i'm sure.

Iran is about to reciprocate acccording to BBC.

Things are going to escalate, and its going to get bad, and fast.

I truly believe America needs to revolt, protest and demand the administration step down. Their political system has failed them and their interests.

Jumeira

Banned
Theres going to be alot of people that will get satisfaction for seeing these poor souls suffer. Appalling display of humanity from America, this is the lowest I've seen your nation reach, I never thought there would be a day where this would take place from a 1st world nation. Deeply upsetting. Imagine your belief of this great nation giving you a new beginning, then to have it snatched for no reason. No reason other then being associated to a small part of the world.

br3wnor

I

f someone already posted this I apologize, but here's the lawsuit filed on behalf of 2 Iraqi citizens and is asking to be applied to everyone in their "class" (people from the banned countries)

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/local/petition-for-writ-of-habeas-corpus-on-behalf-of-iraqi-refugees-detained-at-jfk-airport/2311/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_migrants-907am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

We're gonna have to rely on the judiciary to provide some relief from all this bullshit, the fact that Schumer or Warren isn't at one of these airports with cameras raising hell is sickening.

Boke1879

Iran is about to reciprocate acccording to BBC.

Of course.

It's amazing that Iraqis. People who have helped us in the fight against a terror. A consummate Ally against ISIS. Are being denied. It's embarrassing. We're creating our own enemies now.

Our allies can't trust us anymore. Back away. Don't look to us to be any sort of moral compass in the world. Operate on your own.

roytheone

Yes, if you have a green card and are from the 9 countries currently listed. It is worth noting its for 3 months, but god knows what happens after those 3 months.

correct.

Wait, so if you already have a house/job/life in america, you still would be send back to a country where you have nothing? With no real warning beforehand? How the fuck is that legal?

I

f someone already posted this I apologize, but here's the lawsuit filed on behalf of 2 Iraqi citizens and is asking to be applied to everyone in their "class" (people from the banned countries)

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/local/petition-for-writ-of-habeas-corpus-on-behalf-of-iraqi-refugees-detained-at-jfk-airport/2311/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_migrants-907am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

We're gonna have to rely on the judiciary to provide some relief from all this bullshit, the fact that Schumer or Warren isn't at one of these airports with cameras raising hell is sickening.
Hope the federal courts can act quickly to issue a stay. At what point does this go to an emergency appeal to SCOTUS?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Time to get involved now more than ever and fight this every step of the way. Get involved at a local level and spread awareness please. Cause fuuuck all this bullshit.

Drifters

I can already see where this is going. This law isn't even going to stop ISIS related terrorist in the U.S., consider most of them were caused by American born Muslim citizens. What he just did added fuel to the fire and gave ISIS more recruiting power. When another ISIS terrorist attack happens in the U.S., it will be from an American Muslim citizen, and Trump is going to use that to likely start tossing every Muslim citizen into camps as he declares a national crisis, just like FDR did.

We're already there. Anyone who is from anyone of these countries being detained (now lawfully I might add) may get put into a detention center or camp while being processed. Seriously, every American right now has got to feel a little like the Nazi's right now.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
B-but how? What they could do that would have negative effect on US or US citizens? Meaningful US citizen presence in Iran?
Many tech companies have Iranian employees.
I would assume they could prevent business activities from US companies.

Boke1879

Wait, so if you already have a house/job/life in america, you still would be send back to a country where you have nothing? With no real warning beforehand? How the fuck is that legal?

I just don't think they'd be allowed back in. Last night a read that google sent out something telling their employees not to leave the country.

mid83

This kind of stuff only adds fuel to the fire of people becoming radicalized, especially people who were so close to coming only to be told "fuck off" by fear mongering.

roytheone

I just don't think they'd be allowed back in. Last night a read that google sent out something telling their employees not to leave the country.

But what if you went on holiday/business trip etc at the exact wrong time? Tough luck, your life is over, get a new one? There was like no official warning about when this would go into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom