• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulsemyne

UK gaffer here, just started my new job today and the guy I was sat with starting talking about the news and I said Trump is banning everybody now, it's crazy and the guy said that it "was a good thing that Trump is clamping down on immigration, we should be doing the same, Syrians come puring in and get free houses worth hundreds of thousands and there's people out on the streets who were vets". Daily Mail reader? I was kinda speechless, to be honest, that people are still able to justify the things Trump is doing. Shocked how many Police officers I've seen reading that garbage too when I worked there.

I hope you told the moron that nearly zero syrians have been let into the UK. Remember the shit storm about not letting them in?

Magwik

Banned
T5KS4Tl.png

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/826153820900163588

Shocking! Spicer lied!

Guy.brush

So is the real goal of the shock event to get the lifting of Russian sanctions through quickly?
Getting the Saudis a piece of Syria? Prepping Iran as a case for war so Trump can be a war time POTUS?
I still think the smoking gun is right in front of us. 19.5% sale of Rosneft and 19% stakes in Rosneft mentioned in the dossier months earlier.

Tahnit

Banned
So is the real goal of the shock event to get the lifting of Russian sanctions through quickly?
Getting the Saudis a piece of Syria? Prepping Iran as a case for war so Trump can be a war time POTUS?
I still think the smoking gun is right in front of us. 19.5% sale of Rosneft and 19% stakes in Rosneft mentioned in the dossier months earlier.

Someone needs to alert media about this. Seems like it all fits.

Kaelan

The UK Parliament is debating whether President Trump should be banned from visiting the UK after his refugee and travel ban.

Just saw this earlier, interesting. Not sure if posted but should be a new thread.

Is there any source for the original Spicer "imminent threat" justification for the ban or its timing that one of the reporters asked about?

My google fu is weak on this one.

Did Spicer actually claim there was an imminent threat behind the timing of the ban, and then walk that back just now?

Damn, they should have a blanket ban :/
At the very least keep him waiting for 20 hours somewhere without amenities.

I mean, he's only one guy, out of all of the millions of people the UK don't do that for, so its really pretty much nothing when you think about it.

The UK Parliament is debating whether President Trump should be banned from visiting the UK after his refugee and travel ban.

Just saw this earlier, interesting. Not sure if posted but should be a new thread.
I caught a bit of that, laughed at the Irish rep quoting Trump's "bad dudes" tweet.

Was watching Sky news and the footage from the House of Commons was pretty fierce. I'm happy to hear some folks in the UK are voicing such opposition right now.

Hazzuh

Was watching Sky news and the footage from the House of Commons was pretty fierce. I'm happy to hear some folks in the UK are voicing such opposition right now.

Lots of people are resigned to Brexit happening even though they're disappointed so I think a lot of that energy will go in to making Trump's life hell if he ever comes to the UK.

pulsemyne

Lots of people are resigned to Brexit happening even though they're disappointed so I think a lot of that energy will go in to making Trump's life hell if he ever comes to the UK.

Oh he's gonna get a whirlwind of shit thrown at him if he shows his orange face. Probably top a million or so in a London protest for example.
Also we do like a bit of a riot. I hope nothing happens of course but it wouldn't surprise me.

Politicians are starting to wake even if it is out of self interest

Trump is showing at a best case scenario he is a danger to their jobs. Worst case is when political opposition start "disappearing". Which we will almost definitely be questioning in the coming months if things keep going as they are and Trump starts testing that lever of power

The last thing the U.K. wants is a guy like him following a similar path

Biske

It's cute how they view being detained at the airport for hours, days, as some kind of mild inconvenience.

As if its just some casual thing.

"How was your day and flight honey? Oh you know, was detained and interrogated for 8 hours, just an average Saturday!"

"Oh thats so funny, Grandma was detained too! And our lil nephew Bobby! Ain't that funny"

I'm wondering why the Marshal haven't been sent in at this point? I could understand (slightly) since the way it was implemented was a complete clusterfuck and no one knew Friday/Saturday what the fuck was going on-but it's Monday now.

Nasty folks getting at Sage Steele right now on her IG.

She was just voicing her opinion but people on both sides can be nasty huh

Yikes
Both sides! Both sides! Both sides!

Lol, say how you really feel instead of hiding. She deserve shit for her crappy comment and whining about missing a fight because of protestors. She completely missed the point.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Another Republican official comes out in support of the ban. Representative Andy Harris from Maryland (he mostly represents the eastern shore):

WASHINGTON, DC: Congressman Andy Harris released the following statement regarding President Trump’s Executive Order:

“I support the President’s Executive Order to increase the vetting of refugees and immigrants entering the United States from countries where ISIS has a significant presence. The Executive Order temporarily suspends visas issued to individuals from seven specific countries prone to terrorism – similar to President Obama’s temporary ban on visas for refugees from Iraq in 2011 for the same reason. The vetting of individuals seeking to immigrate into the United States from countries where ISIS has a significant presence must be increased to better protect Americans’ safety and our national security. As President Trump noted, the seven countries are the same countries previously identified by the Obama Administration as sources of terror. I also applaud the decision to prioritize entry of those refugees who are religious minorities fleeing religious persecution, whether those minorities are Muslims, Yazidis, Zoroastrians, or Christians.

"The United States should resume issuing visas to all these countries only after a review of these policies is completed, and only if the countries comply with supplying the information necessary to allow complete vetting.”

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Someone should make possible the "inconvenience" of having to live 1 day in Syria for Spicer.

Ffs, green card holders were refused boarding for US. This is not limited to US airports. Not even touching the fact that the one detained in the airports were freed only after the intervention of the lawyers and some people got deported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom