• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it matter? The poll was about the ban from the 7 countries. Do you think the opinion completely changed after the implementation. Or do you have another survey with different data?
It matters that they didn't think it through. And the current and future consequences of that feels-right-in-their-gut order are now being showcased and discussed in the media and in government statements the world over.

Not to mention the way these EOs have been crafted and the subsequent chaos that results from a White House that thinks they have all of the answers themselves.

Bl@de

It matters that they didn't think it through. And the current and future consequences of that feels-right-in-their-gut order are now being showcased and discussed in the media and in government statements the world over.

Maybe. But without data it is pure speculation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also the interesting questions:

Objective survey said:
1* Do you favor or oppose a temporary ban on refugees from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here?

2* Do you favor or oppose a temporary block on visas prohibiting residents of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering the United States until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here?

No leading questions with the implication that currently the federal government has a poor ability to screen out potential terrorists. Nope. /s

I dont know if this warrants its own thread so ill just post it here.
Protests today across the UK against trump
#StandUpToTrump

Some images from twitter taken from the hashtag:
My favourite
tMSF72f.jpg

zr2rAVh.jpg

London Whitehall:

Trafalgar Square:

Downing street:

Newcastle:

Vids
Glasgow
https://twitter.com/loladelorean/status/826121863373938688

Edinburgh:
https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/826129804806254592

Manchester:
https://twitter.com/deankirby_/status/826133432103215104

So proud

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe. But without data it is pure speculation.

Which you don't seem to mind engaging in by using the results of a poll of 1,000 "likely voter" done by Rasmussen. It's not data relevant to the discussion. The details of Trump's EO and its implementation are very important.

Vena

5 days ago. So?

Well, for one, it was polled before the draconian measures were put into place and as such it doesn't mean anything of the opinions of events following said draconian instrumentation and effect. Time generally has a structure you should, you know, understand.

Time, such a weird thing.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, for one, it was polled before the draconian measures were put into place and as such it doesn't mean anything of the opinions of events following said draconian instrumentation and effect. Time generally has a structure you should, you know, understand.

Time, such a weird thing.
In my experience, Trump supporters have little knowledge or concern for reality.

Bl@de

Not to mention the way these EOs have been crafted and the subsequent chaos that results from a White House that thinks they have all of the answers themselves.

Which you don't seem to mind engaging in by using the results of a poll of 1,000 "likely voter" done by Rasmussen. It's not data relevant to the discussion. The details of Trump's EO and its implementation are very important.

A poll of 1000 is statistically relevant. Yes there are problems with the poll. No question. But I find it hard to believe that everyone is against it, Are many people protesting and against it? Yes. But nobody backs it up with statistical data and this was the only source I found. If somebody has different ones. Feel free to post them.

So do we know for sure how many people (if any) were deported, or forced to relinquish their visas over the weekend?

If its any number greater than zero I'd like to know why the media isn't pushing back against this whole "inconvenience" line the administration is rolling out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A poll of 1000 is statistically relevant. Yes there are problems with the poll. No question. But I find it hard to believe that everyone is against it, Are many people protesting and against it? Yes. But nobody backs it up with statistical data and this was the only source I found. If somebody has different ones. Feel free to post them.

The poll is fine for what it is, but the context in which you're trying to use it as a weapon for your argument is not.

Nor do I think anyone is claiming that "everyone is against it." That's a straw man and you should know that.

"The only source I could find" is not a valid argument here. It's outdated and lacking in very important context of the details and execution of the EO.

It may turn out that those numbers actually do reflect the current state of America and more people are supportive of it than not. We really don't know. Just like you said, without data it is pure speculation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Even if that poll wouldn't have had leading questions, a very careful picked statistical samples and done before the events, it means nothing. It has no relevance. The discrimination and abuses are not suddenly OK if they are popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

And the poll is utterly flawed by this:

Objective survey said:
1* Do you favor or oppose a temporary ban on refugees from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here?

2* Do you favor or oppose a temporary block on visas prohibiting residents of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering the United States until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here?

Leading questions with the implication that currently the federal government has a poor ability to screen out potential terrorists.

And this:

"1,000 Likely Voters "

A sample picked to obtain a certain result.

Surfinn

Id be curious to see how many Americans still want this ban, now that it's been implemented and caused massive protests around the world.

Even if that poll wouldn't have had leading questions, a very careful picked statistical samples and done before the events, it means nothing. It has no relevance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

And the poll is utterly flawed by this:

Leading questions with the implication that currently the federal government has a poor ability to screen out potential terrorists.

And this:

A sample picked to obtain a certain result.

"Do you want good things, or bad things in your life?

[ ] Good things
[ ] Bad things
"

R0ckman

This is all so surreal considering how quickly it happened. I'm half expecting Trump to walk out for a speech with a demonic dark aura surrounding him talking with a distorted voice, Fire Emblem style.

I dont know if this warrants its own thread so ill just post it here.
Protests today across the UK against trump
#StandUpToTrump

Some images from twitter taken from the hashtag:
My favourite
tMSF72f.jpg

zr2rAVh.jpg

London Whitehall:

Trafalgar Square:

Downing street:

Newcastle:

Vids
Glasgow
https://twitter.com/loladelorean/status/826121863373938688

Edinburgh:
https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/826129804806254592

Manchester:
https://twitter.com/deankirby_/status/826133432103215104

So proud

I'd say it warrants a thread.

Proud.

Deepwater

Probably only cause its affecting business.

That's honestly the only saving grace about this. Same thing with the Koch Brothers getting in formation to denounce Trump. I said this back in early 2016, Trump might be a conservative's wet dream, but his antics are gravely harmful to lots of Fortune 500 bottom lines. People can't make money when the status quo is shook, and he's banging on the table.

The Forces That Be™ will be rid of him if he continues down this path

What does it matter? The poll was about the ban from the 7 countries. Do you think the opinion completely changed after the implementation. Or do you have another survey with different data?
Yes.

If Trump had briefed the DHS and the Justice Department, set a target date, made exemptions for those in transit, excluded visa/green card holders, put in special provisions for local military aides, and limited the ban to refugees and nonessential visitors, then yes. The reaction would be wholly different.

It still wouldn't be great policy, but the reaction wouldn't be what it is.

Boke1879

Yes.

If Trump had briefed the DHS, the Justice Department, set a target date, made exemptions for those in transit, excluded visa/green card holders, put in special provisions for local military aides, and limited the ban to refugees and nonessential visitors, then yes. The reaction would be wholly different.

Yup, but he fucked it up.

It's sad to see how people who have LEGAL rights to be in the country are getting stopped and detained., then having to explain to clueless people on facebook that they are not illegal immigrants getting stopped and detained, but people that "did it the right way."

I spent a year in Sudan, and all of the people I met and interacted with were always welcoming and went out of their way to make me feel at home. I have friends who worked hard to find a way to survive, and who wished they could study abroad. Very few could get visas to the US as is.

I understand Sudan's government is corrupt and has done so many bad things, but the people were amazing.

Looking forward to being questioned even more than I was before because of my Sudanese visa stamps on my passport.

Boke1879

I bet the posters on forums like 4chan, and all the alt right sites will praise this shit. But it would be amazing if it changed the internet as they knew it.

BUt this isn't shocking people. Trump said this back in December 2015

Donald Trump wants to 'close up' the Internet

"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet," Trump said. "We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/08/technology/donald-trump-internet/

Yup, but he fucked it up.
It's amazing that his administration either can't or willfully won't get the basics of a goddamn Executive Order straight.

Watching what he's doing is certainly frightening. But at the same time, I do feel a slight sense of relief, because it feels like an actually intelligent and manipulative Executive branch could be doing much more damage with more craftily pushed maneuvers working in tandem with the Departments and the Legislature. Instead we have Trump and co. pulling garbage out of their gaping assholes without thinking about it or running it by anyone on their "side."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom