• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People who have never interacted with an armed authority figure on a power trip often can't imagine how quickly a human being transforms into a cartoon Nazi gestapo officer.

Yes, a child can be handcuffed. It's how you show them you're in charge.

Surfinn

I'm speechless.

Apparently the original tweet mentioned them being sent back to Syria. Would that be the case? I mean, have people been sent BACK?!

I thought those pro bono attorneys could at least prevent something like that from happening.

I really hope that's not true. But yeah if they got sent BACK..

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I'm speechless.

Apparently the original tweet mentioned them being sent back to Syria. Would that be the case? I mean, have people been sent BACK?!

I thought those pro bono attorneys could at least prevent something like that from happening.

If it's Dulles they still aren't getting access to those who've been detained

SilentRob

I have a hard time believing that the Child is in cuffs, it's very possible her left arm is behind her back and it seems like she is maybe holding something to drink with her right arm? I'm not sure. And it doesn't fucking matter tbh. At the very best she is standing next to her parents who are cuffed and treated like criminals.. That's traumatic enough. Jesus.

Kai Dracon

I don't know if it's the case with that photo, but remember that customs is keeping lawyers from talking to detained persons in some airports, in violation of court orders. Lawyers are also asking anyone to forward names of detained persons because they're having trouble getting information from customs.

Tovarisc

sk3gQ5E.png

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/826178167396298752

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...485809600185&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.93a04281fd82

8XehRgN.png

https://twitter.com/MicheleDDunne/status/826178362813054977

Kai Dracon

At this point, I want to know why US Marshals haven't shown up at Dulles. It seems to be the hot spot for CBP fucking with everyone.

jstripes

Banned
What I don't understand is how an emergency session of congress hasn't been called.

What's preventing the House or Senate from convening on this? The US' reputation is in tatters, and no one seems to know what to do.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
What I don't understand is how an emergency session of congress hasn't been called.

What's preventing the House or Senate from convening on this? The US' reputation is in tatters, and no one seems to know what to do.
What is preventing them?

The republicans are

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's not clear if the girl is handcuffed, but her parents are and thus the situation is horrible. Those people have no other guilt than being in the wrong place at the wrong time just because Trump decided so.

VRMN

Republicans control Congress and either approve or don't care enough to risk Trump not playing ball on their tax cuts.

Congress ain't doing shit. We have to do something ourselves if we want change.

Tovarisc

At this point, I want to know why US Marshals haven't shown up at Dulles. It seems to be the hot spot for CBP fucking with everyone.

Do they need to be ordered in by federal court? I doubt Marshals can just do what they want, especially when they would be basically arresting federal employees.

They know what to do, but seems like they are too afraid or incompetent to do it. Party and politics before public.

Kai Dracon

Do they need to be ordered in by federal court? I doubt Marshals can just do what they want, especially when they would be basically arresting federal employees.

I believe they do have to be dispatched by a federal judge. So basically I'm wondering why a judge hasn't stepped in after seeing defiance of court order, or why a senator or congress person hasn't gone to said judge to ask for a contempt of court order.

Maybe they have though and we're about to see shit hit the fan.

Republicans are going on the radio and shit talking about how the "silent majority" supports this and citing polls that don't exist or are trash. Republicans fall in line, do not count on them to do the right thing ever.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even ignoring the date of the poll.

"1,000 Likely Voters " - well, that's one way to pick a useful statistical sample.

Especially for titles like "USA population supports ..."

Bl@de

And when was the ban actually implemented?

What does it matter? The poll was about the ban from the 7 countries. Do you think the opinion completely changed after the implementation. Or do you have another survey with different data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom