• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

I want state governments to nullify this shit. I'll be seething if people can rally around overriding the fed on marijuana legalization but not this.

Wait, what? Plenty to criticize Bush for, but his treatment toward Muslims is not one of them.

Six days after the 9/11 attacks, this picture was taken.

30hasanWeb-master768.jpg

"Less than a week after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that killed 2,996 people, President Bush held a news conference at the Islamic Center of Washington. 'The face of terror is not the true face of Islam,' he said, flanked by imams and community leaders. 'Islam is peace.'"

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/...region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0

PR events made for optics won't change the fact that after 9/11 they pegged all muslims as the same and even attacked Iraq a country that had nothing to do with the attacks and set off a domino effect in the region that is still ongoing.

Mahonay

Banned
Wait, what? Plenty to criticize Bush for, but his treatment toward Muslims is not one of them.

Six days after the 9/11 attacks, this picture was taken.

30hasanWeb-master768.jpg

"Less than a week after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that killed 2,996 people, President Bush held a news conference at the Islamic Center of Washington. 'The face of terror is not the true face of Islam,' he said, flanked by imams and community leaders. 'Islam is peace.'"

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/...region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0
Bush himself showed compassion, but you forget his time in the office was largely dictated by the likes of Romney and Rove... who sure as fuck had a hand in making Americans view Muslims as scary people.

Watching the US from the outside is fuckin scary. I can only imagine what its like living there. Its turning into a facist state. Disgusting attitude to people that need help.

For most of us, daily life hasn't changed at all and probably won't for the foreseeable future, which is why it's so hard to get people here to care.

UberTag

I can already see where this is going. This law isn't even going to stop ISIS related terrorist in the U.S., consider most of them were caused by American born Muslim citizens. What he just did added fuel to the fire and gave ISIS more recruiting power. When another ISIS terrorist attack happens in the U.S., it will be from an American Muslim citizen, and Trump is going to use that to likely start tossing every Muslim citizen into camps as he declares a national crisis, just like FDR did.
Incidentally, you're not using Trump's happy sounding buzzwords for the concentration camps that he's having built right now to hold millions of people he deems to be "illegal".
He doesn't like the use of that terminology and finds it to be demoralizing.

Trump would prefer that you use his alternative names for them. Which are detention facilities, holding centers and safe zones. Those sound much more innocuous and pleasant.

RDreamer

Where is bush now though. Where's the republican outrage for what is happening

Well, Bush should probably stay out of it because he's unpopular as fuck and if he weighs in he'd hurt the side he's for.

As for Republicans: They're spineless twits. Also, they want this policy. It was republican governors across the US that started this crap a year ago.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A friend of my fiancée has 2 aunts who were denied entry. One of the women has a green card.

Jonboy

Where is bush now though. Where's the republican outrage for what is happening
What can Bush do? He has 0 power and very little influence over the current Republican party.

The current Republicans are too cowardly and/or afraid of Trump to speak out. This did just happen yesterday though so we'll see where they stand in the coming days. I can't imagine they'll all go along with this willingly. That being said, I've lost most of my faith in people as a whole and politicians in general...so I don't expect much.

zethren

Banned
For most of us, daily life hasn't changed at all and probably won't for the foreseeable future, which is why it's so hard to get people here to care.

It's pretty sad that it's going to take the military marching through our cities, an even more militarized police force, curfews, blatant and unconstitutional censorship, murders of dissenters, even more detainment of immigrants and minority groups, etc for people to start waking up.

Because it is straight up headed in that direction.

Burn in hell Trump and any if you reading this that support it

Oh and fuck you too Stein supporters and people who stayed home on principle. I'm sure these children are proud of you. I don't ever want to fucking here someone talk about voting 3rd party on morality

Fucking. Tell. Them.

I actually am seeing some conservative Christian Facebook posts this morning voicing their disagreement. This may be too much for many.

Many of the Christian groups I know are very concerned with adoptions and refugees (despite what the media portrays). There's a lot of churches that are deeply involved with aid and relief work that are getting mighty pissed right now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yep why I'm enraged that no one gives a shit. I even heard that o articles are being made so clearly people care. Like that's a fucking barometer.

Beefy

Theresa May repeatedly refuses to condemn Donald Trump's immigration ban

Faisal Islam, the political editor of Sky News, asked Ms May whether she viewed it as an ”action of the leader of the free world".

The Prime Minister replied that she was ”very pleased" to have met Mr Trump in Washington, before evading the question by hailing Turkey's reception of millions of refugees and Britain's support for its government and other nations surrounding Syria.

When pressed for a second time for her view by another British journalist, Ms May continued: ”The United States is responsible for the United States' policy on refugees, the United Kingdom is responsible for the United Kingdom's policy on refugees."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...fugee-refuses-to-condemn-latest-a7551121.html

Fuck May!!!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The court will be no more conservative than it was with Scalia there. And the court as it stands would probably not rule with Trump.

Can Trump get rid of the justices or nominate more than 1 new justice (increasing the size of the SCOTUS)?

UberTag

But what if you went on holiday/business trip etc at the exact wrong time? Tough luck, your life is over, get a new one? There was like no official warning about when this would go into effect.
This is indeed the case. Not just for the countries affected now but given the expediency that this went into effect, foreign nationals across the board will be afraid to leave because who knows when Trump will decide THEY are a threat and will be denied the opportunity to return to their homes, their jobs and their families.

Take a vacation, go overseas on business or visit family in your homeland and you could have an indefinite stay in a detention center waiting for you when you return.

Speaking as someone whose husband immigrated, these visas are not easy to get and are very time consuming and costly. You've been thoroughly vetted by the time you receive one. The fact that they're being detained is crazy.

Trump is going to be way worse than Obama on immigration and I bet he breaks Obama's deportation record.
It's not about that, it's the way he's going about it. He's being a royal dick about this whole thing. I thought Trump would be the worst in modern history, he is going for the worst ever. He is trending there at an accelerated rate.

Speaking as someone whose husband immigrated, these visas are not easy to get and are very time consuming and costly. You've been thoroughly vetted by the time you receive one. The fact that they're being detained is crazy.
Not according to the right. It's so easy to get. All you have to do is find a visa at the bottom of a box of cereal then BOOM, you are in!
It's fucked up but it''s pretty impressive that he's managed to make all this happen already and has stuck with a lot of what he said he would do. Why haven't other presidents stuck to their words to this degree?
Most do, just none are this extreme and in your face.

Germany knows a lot about democratically electing a fascist and then watching creeping fascism for years while doing nothing until it is to late.
We also know a lot about building walls.

I hope Merkel will find clear words. I know she is not know for big words, but she is principled and I would be very disappointed if she holds back here. This is not the time for a diplomatic non-answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom