• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hamaseh Tayari, a UK resident who holds an Iranian passport, has been on holiday in Costa Rica with her boyfriend for the last week. She was due to fly back to Glasgow, where she works as a vet, this morning but was denied entry onto the flight because her flight went via New York and she would need a transit visa, which was revoked.

Tayari, who grew up in Italy, has never experienced anything like this. She says: ”This has really shocked me. We just discovered [what Trump did] at the airport when we went to check-in. I want people to know that this is not just happening to refugees. I am a graduate and I have a Phd. It has happened to a person who is working and who pays tax."

Tayari and her boyfriend are trying to find an alternative route home. A flight to Madrid on the 30 January will cost them £2000 and they'll still have to find a way from there to Glasgow. She says: ”We had been saving for months for this holiday and it will cost me a month's salary just to get home.

”I am destroyed. I did not know that I could cry for so long. It feels like the beginning of the end. How this is possible? I am really afraid about what is going on."

Fuck Trump.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
There is a protest planned at 3pm over at SFO airport. I hope protests spring up around the country.

Daniel Altschuler ‏@altochulo

Gross incompetence, too: CBP getting no guidance from White House on what to do w refugees at JFK Term 4. #MuslimBan

RDreamer

AC41jA9.jpg

ezrarh

Fucking disgusting. This hits really hard for me. My dad served in the South Vietnamese army and after the fall of the South, he was held in prison for almost a decade. Eventually, we were able to get our greencard and get to the US. I just can't fathom the feeling of getting to the airport just to be told no. After risking your life and family's life to support this country.

Fuck Trump and the GOP.

Gruco

Banned
Lawsuits:

Allred sexual assault
CREW emoluments
ACLU Muslim ban

Presumably, several more will be coming out of the botched rollout last night and the poor vetting for all the EOs last week.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
a shit show

I'm terrified for people at my company. Blizzard hires a fair amount of incredibly talented people from other countries, some of them from Muslim-majority countries.

Fuck, I'm terrified for everyone. Even trump's idiot, racist supporters - they can't see what's coming, and their loyalty won't save them from the monsters they helped seize power.

Surfinn

That requires funding either in the form of tax or tariff, both of which would require a law of appropriation from Congress.

Whereas, this refugee ban is just Trump directing federal agencies (Customs and Border Patrol) to act according to new guidelines.

Congress could pass a law to override the ban but...they don't seem to want to.

And SCOTUS could strike it down as unconstitutional but that would take time to litigate.
Thanks for this response. Question.. What if Trump funded the entire wall out of pocket (I realize this is impossible as he doesn't have the money)? Or if other wealthy people donated? Would he need approval then?

Caja 117

No, the only hope is to get out there and protest this shit, every fucking day, in the millions. If this isn't enough to bring the people of the US to do that, then honestly, they don't deserve better and the US absolutely deserves to crash and burn during the next 4 years. Fucking christ, I can't even begin to explain how watching this from germany makes me feel.

Havent you heard? protests are fake news and are all funded by Soros... the right is so far gone that anything that is criticizing them on what they do is some form of conspiracy against them and not based on reality. We should protest, but everyone should also vote when the times comes because Protest alone will not sway these lunatics mind.

My Afghan interpreter also just moved to the U.S. after obtaining a Special Immigrant Visa. He suffered a decade's worth of death threats and indignities.

I'm writing a senator. Not my senator, because I don't have representation, but it's the least I can do.

I'm hoping "Hey, Senator Graham, this also affects the interpreters who risked their lives protecting us" will resonate.

I'm fucking fuming over this. Why is anyone following this clearly unconstitutional order?

Because it's not unconstitutional until a court declares it unconstitutional. Luckily, the legal challenges are piling up quicker than expected and some relief could hopefully come soon.

joe2187

Banned
Thanks for this response. Question.. What if Trump funded the entire wall out of pocket (I realize this is impossible as he doesn't have the money)? Or if other wealthy people donated? Would he need approval then?

Trumps fortune is made off the backs of the people he screwed over, refused to pay, and withheld from taxes. The dude is the ideal of greed made human flesh.

He would not even spend $1 to fund anything that doesnt directly benefit him.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Evan Rosenfeld ‏@Evan_Rosenfeld

JUST IN: Iranian state media reporting Iran will bar US citizens from entering the country in response to Pres. Trump's travel ban. #12News

mr_nexus

Banned
At least Rachel Maddow is calling him out for what he is.

Everybody needs to watch her program if you're not. Her show is a light in this darkness.

I have been watching a lot more of Rachel Maddow lately. I haven't watched this much of her since the Bush era. If only more talking heads were like her.

FireVoa

We need to do everything possible to get impeachment hearings happening as quickly as possible.

I don't think you realize yet but he is going to get his 4 years. It's happening. The important thing now is to make sure the damage is only limited to 4 years and not 8.

npm0925

JUST IN: Iranian state media reporting Iran will bar US citizens from entering the country in response to Pres. Trump's travel ban. #12News
I hope every other country on Earth bans Americans to make Trump swallow his small-handed pride and recant.

Gutek

No, the only hope is to get out there and protest this shit, every fucking day, in the millions. If this isn't enough to bring the people of the US to do that, then honestly, they don't deserve better and the US absolutely deserves to crash and burn during the next 4 years. Fucking christ, I can't even begin to explain how watching this from germany makes me feel.

this is unironic:

WAKE THE FUCK UP, PEOPLE

Ac30

Guess we can soon kiss that hard fought Iran deal goodbye.

Atenhaus

My Afghan interpreter also just moved to the U.S. after obtaining a Special Immigrant Visa. He suffered a decade's worth of death threats and indignities.

I'm writing a senator. Not my senator, because I don't have representation, but it's the least I can do.

I'm hoping "Hey, Senator Graham, this also affects the interpreters who risked their lives protecting us" will resonate.

I'm glad to hear your Terp got here before this cavalcade of bullshit started. Two that served directly with my dad in Kandahar moved here in December.

SilentRob

Havent you heard? protests are fake news and are all funded by Soros... the right is so far gone that anything that is criticizing them on what they do is some form of conspiracy against them and not based on reality. We should protest, but everyone should also vote when the times comes because Protest alone will not sway these lunatics mind.

Of course. But "let's do something in 2 years" can't be the answer here or there will be little to vote for in 2 years. This is almost literally the beginning of Nazi Germany. "Haha, come on, don't be silly". No, fuck you to anyone who'd want to say that, I am not fucking around.

Murtadha Al-Tameemi, 24 is a software engineer for Facebook from Iraq who lives and works in Seattle. He was in Canada when he got a “frantic call” from his immigration attorney telling him to immediately cross the border back into the US.

Tameemi’s family live just three hours away in Vancouver but he doesn’t know when he’ll see his family again. He says: “I have been traveling back and forth between the US and Canada on almost weekly basis for a few years. I was in Vancouver to attend the opening night of my little brother’s first play when I got the call but there was no way I was going to miss that.

“I didn’t want to make a big deal because it was a happy night for our family but I told my mum the situation and that I didn’t know when I would see her again. She told me everything is going to be alright and that it would all work out.”

After the play he rushed to the airport. He says: “I showed up five hours before my flight this morning to race against any executive order and get through immigration before the potential ban could take effect.”

Get the fuck out there and make him listen with a general strike. This cannot be allowed.

Hey guys, its his first week on the job why don't you give him a chance. I think you are being overcritical.

If I hear that from a single family member or friend again, I'm gonna have to slap ya.

Hale-XF11

OMG, my wife is in Canada on a trip to visit her family. They wouldn't refuse her visa on her way back to the US would they? I mean, she's legit. OMG, I will lose my shit if she's not able to come back.

norinrad

They are not going to win against the ayatollahs in Iran. Everything that the privous administration built has been destroyed in a few days.

Al-ibn Kermit

We need to do everything possible to get impeachment hearings happening as quickly as possible.

It's best to wait until a strong case is made and then let him and his ideology come down as an avalanche. I had to go tell my grandmother today that if anyone back in Iran dies, don't go home until this is resolved (and she has a green card).

Mahonay

Banned
Someone in a Facebook post I made about this story tried to give the ol' "Hillary getting into office would totally have been just as horrible in different ways!". I deleted the post and let people know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom