• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Then why is the rest not on the streets and fight against this dumbass?
Because the US is a gigantically large country with very low population density (even in urban/suburban areas) relative to other western nations.

You had 3M turn out last week - but expecting that on a daily basis misunderstands the way the country is set up.

Gutek

Majority of Americans didn't vote for him. It's a quirk in our electoral system.

Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit. Americans can't absolvethemselves from this.

Not enough Americans have a shit. You get the government you deserve. Sadly, other countries will suffer from our failure to stand up to Fascism.

Coffinhal

Scary fascist shit is happening without Trump too.

In France journalists were held by the police for reporting about some guy protecting refugees (a guy that was assaulted by the police for that), another journalist who reported protests and riots has been banned from the Calais region (where refugees are) and is followed and has a "maximum security" file by the intelligence agencies (and the justice approved this because we're in a "state of emergency").

These are the small scale alerts that lead to big scale shit like Trump, but are not covered by mainstream medias.

The largest protest in US history happened a day after his inauguration.

Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit. Americans came absolves themselves from this.

Not enough Americans have a shit. You get the government you deserve. Sadly, other countries will suffer from our failure to stand up to Fascism.
Im not American yet. Do you think this isn't terrifying to me?

RDreamer

I'm going to have agree with Pence on this issue, when he wasn't too busy being the lapdog of the fuhrer.

We really have to stop thinking Pence was any different than he is now. Him and the rest of the scumbag republican governors were on the same page in trying to deny Syrian refugees resettlement. Indiana went to court for it.

His specific quote is just playing politics and pandering. A "muslim" ban is bad! But this thing that actually happened isn't quite that. It's ok. Fuck them all.

I don't understand yall outrage. He literally promised a "ban on Muslims" during the election campaign. He is doing 100% of what he promised.

Yall have ears to listen what politicians say during the campaign.
Yall have eyes to watch the debates/ rallies.
Yall have legs to go to election booths on the election day.
And yall have hands to cast down your vote.

You know exactly what America was buying when Americans voted Trump.

Why did you elect him? WHY?!?

I'm from Europe BTW.

He lost by 3 million votes. America both elected him but also rejected him.

Yeah I'm afraid this is reaching a boiling point. The union wont last till 2018 trying to fight within the system. Republicans need to be fucking stopped now.

At this point, I think violence may, in fact, be an option in protesting. Trump, Bannon, and the entire GOP brought this upon themselves, fucking inhuman treacherous monsters they are.

In France journalists were held by the police for reporting about some guy protecting refugees (a guy that was assaulted by the police for that), another journalist who reported protests and riots has been banned from the Calais region (where refugees are) and is followed and has a "maximum security" file by the intelligence agencies (and the justice approved this because we're in a "state of emergency").

These are the small scale alerts that lead to big scale shit like Trump, but are not covered by mainstream medias.

Or worse, when mainstream media give fascists a platform and treat them as equals.

Lo-Volt

You might not have noticed the constant protests and rallies since the election?

But beyond that, I would suggest Americans aren't doing what you suggest for reasons your European brethren didn't in the 1930s: they were disaffected from the old order, or the don't think they will suffer the consequences of authoritarianism, or they're part of a protected racial or ethnic group that will directly benefit from those policies. Or, they're justifiably scared of opposing the state because it's militarized and untrustworthy.

More specifically, the U.S. has no mechanism to force a president out through a vote of confidence, nor do we have a recent history of the kind of unrest you're asking us to engage in. That really isn't in the living memory of most voters living today, compared to Greece, Spain, Italy, or Germany.

KHarvey16

Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit. Americans came absolves themselves from this.

I need the biggest eyeroll.gif imaginable.

Mahonay

Banned

Sadly the Alt-Right movement is taking prominence in both America and Western Europe simultaneously. It's terrifying.

UPDATE: Green card holders from seven countries in Trump's ban have to be cleared in to U.S. on case-by-case basis - administration official

@reuters

No person living overseas has a right to entry into U.S.: senior administration official, responding to lawsuits. https://t.co/v8T3oa7NS6

How kneejerk, reflexive, doctrinaire, discriminatory, and counterproductive.

All that has to happen now is one disaffected Muslim kid finally losing his faith in us, and hearing the whispers of ISIS or a domestic radical in a state of despair. We risk driving so many people to the enemy because of stuff like this, and we will risk the benefits of our global friendships long after the fever passes.

Indeed. Bin Laden is having the last laugh.

Fuck Trump.

I don't understand yall outrage. He literally promised a "ban on Muslims" during the election campaign. He is doing 100% of what he promised.

I'm from Europe BTW.

Yeah. We all voted for him. So dumb..

kmax

We really have to stop thinking Pence was any different than he is now. Him and the rest of the scumbag republican governors were on the same page in trying to deny Syrian refugees resettlement. Indiana went to court for it.

His specific quote is just playing politics and pandering. A "muslim" ban is bad! But this thing that actually happened isn't quite that. It's ok. Fuck them all.

I'm not suggesting that Pence was good prior to the election (he's a piece of shit), my intention was to highlight the hypocricy by these spineless idiots that will bend over backwards given the opportunity.

The right wing suppoters must see that these politicians don't give a fuck about them. They will throw anyone to the wolves in order to make it better for themselves. That is it.

Mahonay

Banned

So nice of you to be compassionate for those of us living here that are suffering from this.

Alanood

Almost 3 million more people voted against him than for him. Our stupid fucking election process allowed this embarrassment into the White House. The same thing happened with George W Bush.
Well, you guys have such a dumb electing system for sure.
We are doomed.

Indeed in all the focus on Trump (which makes sense as he's on the biggest stage) people are forgetting this isn't just an American thing. There are similar movements happening in many Western countries

Barzul

Crazy I'm Nigerian with a Green Card. If we get added to the list because of fucking Boko Haram and I can't get back in, have to research if Trump has any businesses at home now.

Mahonay

Banned
I live here. No compassion for us.
We need stick together with people who are against this, friends, your loved ones, like minded strangers, and fight together. Not just point fingers inward at each other. This does nothing. Direct your anger in the appropriate places.

commedieu

Banned
At this point, I think violence may, in fact, be an option in protesting. Trump, Bannon, and the entire GOP brought this upon themselves, fucking inhuman treacherous monsters they are.

No. Violent protest is always bad. (In America) remember what mlk did. He made change by himself, without being violent.

I urge Americans to peacefully fight a militarized fascist police state, and don't stoop to their level.

When they go low, we go high!

Sure we will all be round up by violent police and put in fema camps, but at least we will know that we didn't lose our moral high ground.

Also. Don't block traffic. Might make someone late for their haircut.

Beartruck

I'm from Europe BTW.
Look at this board. 99% of the people on this board didnt vote for him and didnt want this.

Dalibor68

Banned
It might be in our best interest to start a civil war sooner than later. Might as well get it over with.

No. Violent protest is always bad. (In America) remember what mlk did. He made change by himself, without being violent.

I urge Americans to peacefully fight a militarized fascist police state, and don't stoop to their level.

When they go low, we go high!

Sure we will all be round up by violent police and put in fema camps, but at least we will know that we didn't lose our moral high ground.

Also. Don't block traffic. Might make someone late for their haircut.

I see we're back at publically asking for civil war and revolutions.

BobLoblaw

Banned
And a little less than half of Americans were not bothered enough to vote against him.

There should be daily protest in every city of the country but people are not worried enough until it's them
The problem with our voting system (besides voter suppresion) is the fucking electoral college. How many Democrats in TX don't vote because they know TX will always go red? Same for Republicans in California. The systems needs to be burned to the ground. It would also force Presidential candidates to run national campaigns.

Xando

We had the biggest protest in the history of our nation 1 week ago.

Great start. Should be atleast weekly.

Trump and his fascist followers will not be bothered by protests every 3 months

The problem with our voting system (besides voter suppresion) is the fucking electoral college. How many Democrats in TX don't vote because they know TX will always go red? Same for Republicans in California. The systems needs to be burned to the ground. It would also force Presidential candidates to run national campaigns.
So why is there no movement to change the system to an actual democratic system? As i said people don't care enough until they are victims of this themselves

UPDATE: Green card holders from seven countries in Trump's ban have to be cleared in to U.S. on case-by-case basis - administration official

@reuters

That sounds like a fucking ploy to keep both sides arguing with each other.

People complaining about this will point to the green card being worthless, while his blind idiotic defenders will now be able to retort and say "No! They can go through, just with extreme vetting! Can't you read?" and mentally absolve themselves of any wrongdoing.

So I'm planning on teaching English overseas at some point. If this escalates, could I be fucked and not be able to get back into the country even if I was in Southeast Asia and not the Middle East?

Can you imagine what would happen if we had a terrorist attack under Trump?

Yes. Give it a week or two.

Coffinhal

Sadly the Alt-Right movement is taking prominence in both America and Western Europe simultaneously. It's terrifying.

But this shit is happening with traditionnal governments (France's is center-left since 2012), not national-populists. The issue is that these governments and the admnistrative offices are turning into national-populists, conveying the same ideas and methods, and getting everything ready for the real far-right to take the power (Hopefully in France at least the electoral system prevents for now populists from winning the general election)

Condom

I edited my post because I thought I was too harsh but the new reports just confirm my first thought: anyone claiming the current America is the land of the free and home of the brave deserves to be laughed at.

But this shit is happening with traditionnal governments (France's is center-left since 2012), not national-populists. The issue is that these governments and the admnistrative offices are turning into national-populists, conveying the same ideas and methods, and getting everything ready for the real far-right to take the power (Hopefully in France at least the electoral system prevents for now populists from winning the general election)
Agreed and it's saddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom