• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Nope that's why their called executive orders. They're pretty much laws that the president can pass without congressional approval. The caveat being that they're only suppose to be directives that affect how the federal government will operate.
That's what I was thinking but why can't trump just build the wall with an executive order? Because it involves money?

What gives you that idea?
gettyimages-578248436.jpg

Gruco

Banned
So in one move, Trump just kept Iraqi translators in danger, let starving children with accepting communities remain lost and helpless, kicked permanent residents out of their homes, created a flagship recruitment program for ISIS, and spoiled a decade of efforts towards peace with Iran. Missing anything?

mr_nexus

Banned
When is the media going to stop being afraid of using the "F" word and call him a fascist?

The supreme count better end this shit.

Iksenpets

Banned

His statement for Holocaust Rememberance Day also failed to mention Jews anywhere in it. It's insane.

Also, as someone who grew up in a neighborhood with a lot of Iranian Americans, this is horrifying for what it's going to do to their families. Not to mention the stories of Syrian refugees and Iraqis who served the US military being turned away. I'm honestly nauseous.

That's what I was thinking but why can't trump just build the wall with an executive order? Because it's so expensive?

That requires funding either in the form of tax or tariff, both of which would require a law of appropriation from Congress.

Whereas, this refugee ban is just Trump directing federal agencies (Customs and Border Patrol) to act according to new guidelines.

Congress could pass a law to override the ban but...they don't seem to want to.

And SCOTUS could strike it down as unconstitutional but that would take time to litigate.

Did some Uber driving this morning in Los Angeles, CA from LAX. A couple from Australia, found out that others from their group are being sent back to Australia. The catch is, the young men are Iranian. They're travel plans involved a few days in Hollywood, and then on to Cabo for the rest. The guy even asked if they could just go straight to Mexico, the answer was no.

They asked if Trump is racist, does California like Trump. The group was pretty much international, with a friend coming in from Moscow.

Has to be a pretty fucked up feeling to sent away from a country just because of where you're from and how you look.

Can I say that tourism is going to take a major hit, for the next 4 yrs. All those small businesses that need that tourism, should think about the ramifications of they're, assuming a sizeable number of them voted for President Cheeto

SilentRob

How there aren't riot in the streets in the US right now is beyond me. You know how you tried to fight against turning into a fashist state that discriminates based on religion and race?

Yeah. You failed. You are that state now. You are being led by an egomaniacal doofus who himself is controlled by a White Supremacist Nazi who just decided that brown people are not allowed or wanted in your country anymore.

If you live in the US, stop posting here and start organizing ffs. These Nazi Germany comparisons aren't funny or silly or hyperbole anymore. They are reality. There are no more lines to cross.

rjinaz

When is the media going to stop being afraid of using the "F" word and call him a fascist?

The supreme count better end this shit.

At least Rachel Maddow is calling him out for what he is.

Everybody needs to watch her program if you're not. Her show is a light in this darkness.

Farewell

What was bound to happen, you think the rest of the world will just watch while the US tries to destroy not only itself, but the rest of the world?

Yeah that's right, but everything happens so fast, don't know what to think anymore. This orange idiot is going to cause a war.

Tovarisc

X-post

--------
Ni3LBME.png

https://twitter.com/altochulo/status/825390322683432961

Nydia Velazquez is "Represents New York's 7th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives. Top Democrat on House Small Business Committee."

Rep. Nadler is "Representing parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn. I serve on the House Judiciary + Transportation & Infrastructure committees."

Edit: Nydia just tweeted;
One of the refugees, Hameed Khalid Darweesh, has been released

Slime

Banned
We need to do everything possible to get impeachment hearings happening as quickly as possible.

Never going to happen. Might have if people actually voted in Democratic congressmen, but as it stands Congress is full of Republican jellyfish who will fall in line even if every minority in the US is pushed into the gas chamber.

Iksenpets

Banned
a shit show

Education is going to get hammered, too, with lots of foreign born professors and PhD students. And I saw the Wall Street Journal is looking for comment from people affected in the oil industry, which of course has tons of Middle Eastern workers. Like, if you're the sort of person who always voted Republican because they're pro-business or whatever, I don't understand how you're not horrified right now between this and the proposed Mexican tariffs. It's a nightmare.

SilentRob

He is not getting impeached, the only hope here is that enough people are against this to go and vote 2 years from now so Dems can get the majority back.

No, the only hope is to get out there and protest this shit, every fucking day, in the millions. If this isn't enough to bring the people of the US to do that, then honestly, they don't deserve better and the US absolutely deserves to crash and burn during the next 4 years. Fucking christ, I can't even begin to explain how watching this from germany makes me feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom