• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crowd at #JFKTerminal4 so big it's now spilling outside police pens #NoBanNoWall #MuslimBan #resist

C3SXHYFWMAYHKFT.jpg:large

Caja 117

You might want to read your own source because...it reiterates what I posted.

Revoking and/or cancelling a passport doesn't remove the underlying citizenship. If you are an American whose passport is revoked, you don't stop being American.

Well, it is true. The only way to prevent a citizen from entering the US would be to revoke their citizenship.

For naturalized citizens, there is a required court process and you must be found guilty of one of a handful of very specific offenses.

For natural born citizens, the USSC already weighed in on that:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2521246303796542623

You can renounce your citizenship easily, but if you are natural born, the US govt can't just take it away.

Regardless, there is nothing Trump could do in that regard. Changing things would require Constitutional amendments.

And thats where concentration camps come in: "Cant kicked them out of the country? lets round them up together on the same place."

RPGCrazied

First Republican to actually be against?

Jonathan MartinVerified account
‏@jmartNYT

News: @RepCharlieDent, a PA Republican who reps a large Syrian comm tells me:

“I urge the admin to halt enforcement of this order..."

The problem for Trump is that he and is team are operating as if they have some kind of overwhelming mandate coming out of the election, rather than understanding that they scraped by and lost the popular vote, thus are dealing with an incredibly divided country and, in large part, hates his guts. He and the people surrounding him are delusional if they think they can push their bullshit this early and this often and not get tremendous blowback.

takoyaki

People that need to rot and deserve what is happening:
1. Trump voters
2. People that didn't vote or abstained from voting for the presidency.
3. Bernie supporters who didn't swallow their pride and switched their vote to Hillary after he lost the Primary
4. Jill Stein voters

ftfy. This is not the time for in-fighting, there's plenty of blame to go around. This fucking clown never should have been able to win the election.

But there's bigger problems right now.

BFIB

The problem for Trump is that he and is team are operating as if they have some kind of overwhelming mandate coming out of the election, rather than understanding that they scraped by and lost the popular vote, thus are dealing with an incredibly divided country and, in large part, hates his guts. He and the people surrounding him are delusional if they think they can push their bullshit this early and this often and not get tremendous blowback.
But, it's working. It's up to the GOP to take him out, and they are putting party over country.

But, it's working. It's up to the GOP to take him out, and they are putting party over country.

it's been a week, it's way too soon to say it's working, especially with how unpopular these actions are proving to be. Let him do this shit. He's only going to make himself more and more toxic to the moderate GOP that feel compelled to align themselves with him.

kirblar

This is what Dubya's team did as well, but they got bailed out by 9/11.

Yep. It's spiraling out of control. I don't know what the fuck they are thinking but a large part of this country will not stand for this.

norinrad

They've been getting away with it. People are stuck at airports and cannot go home, None of them seems to care that there are children involved.

The problem is his party controls Congress. So he may not have a true "mandate" in his election, but he certainly has the support throughout the rest of the government.

The problem is his party controls Congress. So he may not have a true "mandate" in his election, but he certainly has the support throughout the rest of the government.

Those people have constituents to answer to though. Again, I'm not saying it's going to be an overnight flip. But Trump and his team seem to be overplaying their hand badly.

Those people have constituents to answer to though. Again, I'm not saying it's going to be an overnight flip. But Trump and his team seem to be overplaying their hand badly.
I guess they're banking on the midterms not really being able to flip things. And I think numerically there might actually be support for that idea. Maybe add in some more election shenanigans to make it harder to get rid of them for good measure.

BFIB

I hate to say it, and I hope I don't get banned, but I just have a bad feeling ISIS is going to mobilize something because this ban falls right into their mandate.

They won today. :(

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Of course but it'll take till at least midterms before anyone can really do anything about it and until the next election before he can be removed. That's partly why it's done so early, feelings fade and people forget. He'll most probably get hurt badly in the midterms but by next election this stuff will be the status quo and normalised.

Woorloog

Banned
I guess they're banking on the midterms not really being able to flip things. And I think numerically there might actually be support for that idea. Maybe add in some more election shenanigans to make it harder to get rid of them for good measure.

Are you even sure there are going to be any elections at this rate? Well, fair elections?
I wouldn't bet on that.

Hey! its ok, Mike Pence has finally woken up and will talk sense into Bannon.

http://i.imgur.com/Cms18vn.png[img][/QUOTE]

[B]That was 2015[/B].

Brinbe

Fucking gross beyond all measure. This hits close to home because if I was one of those affected nationalities I'd be banned too. Luckily I happen to be Filipino so it's all good (for now). It's insane.

Red

I hate to say it, and I hope I don't get banned, but I just have a bad feeling ISIS is going to mobilize something because this ban falls right into their mandate.

They won today. :(
Every isolationist, nationalist, racial, or religious hate group won. From Stormfront to ISIS, this is a victory for every person who seeks to divide us. This is a victory for fear and prejudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom