• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yo, this shit is crazy man. I can't believe how fast everything is going with this shitty ass president. It's not even a full month and this is already happening. Citizens don't deserve this treatment from a country that takes pride in freedom, but it looks like that freedom is now only reserved for white Christian Americans under Trumps reign.

I hope those families can see their loved ones yet I fear for what the future holds for all minorities.

Boke1879

I hate to say it, and I hope I don't get banned, but I just have a bad feeling ISIS is going to mobilize something because this ban falls right into their mandate.

They won today. :(

If anything this is easy recruitment for extremist groups. Bin Laden wanted this. He wanted America to make decisions based on fear.

Of course but it'll take till at least midterms before anyone can really do anything about it and until the next election before he can be removed. That's partly why it's done so early, feelings fade and people forget. He'll most probably get hurt badly in the midterms but by next election this stuff will be the status quo and normalised.

+1

Unless Congress acts, nothing will be done. And as others have reiterated, these Republicans were elected by the far-right, and whilst their inaction may damage them in our eyes, their approval of this is mandated by their constituents.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Here's the thing though. If, say, a politician who won the presidency tried to do this, he'd do it by going through the chain of command and a few months later we'd have a legal bill that restrains certain refugees and such, along with detailed instructions upon doing so, etc. It would still be bad, but it would be easier to stomach by most politicians because it had the veil of being an appropriate, legal authorization to scale back what the US would believe to be people of questionable backgrounds. That kind of law would get little pushback. You wouldn't see people marching in the streets, people outraged, people immediately pushing back, etc. You would get protests, but it would be accepted by the majority.

Here, Trump drafts an order late in the night and executes it with no clear direction, no vetting by other legal departments, and we have complete and total chaos today. Countries are immediately striking back with their own bans. People are completely blindsided by this outrage that they're immediately protesting. Politicians are caught off guard. Complete and total chaos.

The GOP would love to have someone like Trump and full control of the govt., but when he's a complete wildcard and threatens to disrupt the entire world economy and relations with the US, well, you don't just stand around and hope in four years he becomes electable again. I get the feeling there's a lot of secret GOP meetings tonight talking about how they get him the hell out of office.

I don't see this lasting four years, a year, or even the next six months.

Tovarisc

3Bnf8wA.png

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/825455934331879425
RmL0GO7.png

https://twitter.com/mawilner/status/825456649083158528

Tahnit

Banned
People working at airports and police need to start defying this order. Fuck him. Fuck trump. Fuck what he has turned our country into in a week.

BradC00

I hate to say it, and I hope I don't get banned, but I just have a bad feeling ISIS is going to mobilize something because this ban falls right into their mandate.

They won today. :(

of course something is going to happen. pres trump will use it as an excuse for something worse.

epmode

Here's the thing though. If, say, a politician who won the presidency tried to do this, he'd do it by going through the chain of command and a few months later we'd have a legal bill that restrains certain refugees and such, along with detailed instructions upon doing so, etc. It would still be bad, but it would be easier to stomach by most politicians because it had the veil of being an appropriate, legal authorization to scale back what the US would believe to be people of questionable backgrounds. That kind of law would get little pushback. You wouldn't see people marching in the streets, people outraged, people immediately pushing back, etc. You would get protests, but it would be accepted by the majority.

Here, Trump drafts an order late in the night and executes it with no clear direction, no vetting by other legal departments, and we have complete and total chaos today. Countries are immediately striking back with their own bans. People are completely blindsided by this outrage that they're immediately protesting. Politicians are caught off guard. Complete and total chaos.

The GOP would love to have someone like Trump and full control of the govt., but when he's a complete wildcard and threatens to disrupt the entire world economy and relations with the US, well, you don't just stand around and hope in four years he becomes electable again. I get the feeling there's a lot of secret GOP meetings tonight talking about how they get him the hell out of office.

I don't see this lasting four years, a year, or even the next six months.

While I've seen very little public dissent in the GOP so far, I hope you're right. I feel so awful about my country right now.

LaronX

Neo Member
Congrats America you are yet again one step closer in surpassing the Nazi in the most universally known racists. Stay save people you are in for dark times. Unless the Congress turns on there brain and blocks all of his shit , which seriously doubt as Republican rather get fucked and upset the other side then get nothing done.

I hope Europe takes a clear stance against this shit and doesn't bail for economy reason. This needs to be treated like it is an act of blatant racism and xenophobia.

Congrats America you are yet again one step closer in surpassing the Nazi in the most universally known racists. Stay save people you are in for dark times. Unless the Congress turns on there brain and blocks all of his shit , which seriously doubt as Republican rather get fucked and upset the other side then get nothing done.

I hope Europe takes a clear stance against this shit and doesn't bail for economy reason. This needs to be treated like it is an act of blatant racism and xenophobia.

Right wing rhetoric is an issue in many parts of the West. Don't think the US is the only country kicking this stuff around.

Also, Congress will do shit. The only hope is the courts. Which will get less promising day by day as Trump is able to appoint justices in the Supreme Court and in lower level federal courts.

Woorloog

Banned
Six months from now: First he started with Muslims...

First they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Muslim.
Then they came for the ???, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a ???
Because I was not a ???.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Let's fill out that as time goes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sam Stein ‏@samsteinhp

”It's working out very nicely." — Trump on his muslim ban.

Fuck you, you piece of shit.

First they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Muslim.
Because I was not a ???
Because I was not a ???.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Let's fill out that as time goes.

I think you missed the earlier part of the sequence

.. disabled reporters
.. CNN and NY Times
.. All the press
.. Muslims
.. ???

I didn't vote for this so don't call me a racist or a Nazi.

Britain have already suffered at the hands of Farage , and right wing rhetoric is currently strong in France and Italy. My hope is that reasonable people that may have got them self swepped up in all this anti immigrant nonsense see some sense through trump actions. Weirdly, it could bring a lot of people back together. I hope so. We need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom