• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedre

Banned
There were outcries and protests after he got elected, before he got elected even . Tell me since you seem to know how to change things overnight. What would your strategy be?

I'm not talking about how to change things overnight. I'm talking about that there are not enough people one the street. South Korea showed how to demonstrate against their President. 'There were more than 2 Million People in Seoul. Thats 4% of the population. Where are the 12 Million People in the USA? That is no critic on you or the people that protest with you! But where is the rest? Where?

dB6t1EB.png

How long til Trump sees this as a slight and bans Canadians?

Am_I_Evil

I'm not talking about how to change things overnight. I'm talking about that there are not enough people one the street. South Korea showed how to demonstrate against their President. 'There were more than 2 Million People in Seoul. Thats 4% of the population. Where are the 12 Million People in the USA? That is no critic on you or the people that protest with you! But where is the rest? Where?

3 million people marched the day after his inauguration and that was before he went full retard with his EOs

Im a citizen but now Im afraid to fly to other countries because I may not be allowed to come home. Jesus Christ this is a nightmare.

Thank God my mom came back before the inauguration.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jimmy Pardo ‏@jimmypardo

Guys, @sacca is matching donations to @ACLU up to $75k. I was happy to donate. Let's do this! #resist

kirblar

I've been the military at U.S. airports. You'll frequently see groups of soldiers in uniform, especially at certain ports of entry, like JFK, IAD, and BWI -- they're just traveling on orders.

There's a huge difference between "groups of people in uniform" and "the military actively patrolling the airport."

We're not there. Yet. :/
Yeah, I'm a DC local, people randomly in uniform is the norm here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The anti-Trump women's march last week was the largest protest in US history.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've watched that clip like ten times and cannot see anyone in a military uniform. Can someone tell me where to look?

Syriel

I've been the military at U.S. airports. You'll frequently see groups of soldiers in uniform, especially at certain ports of entry, like JFK, IAD, and BWI -- they're just traveling on orders.

There's a huge difference between "groups of people in uniform" and "the military actively patrolling the airport."

We're not there. Yet. :/

Yeah, I don't count soldiers traveling on orders as "having a presence." They're just people who are traveling, same as anyone else.

Post I was responding to was one saying that having the military on patrol was a "normal" thing at airports, which is far from the truth in most nations.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, I don't count soldiers traveling on orders as "having a presence." They're just people who are traveling, same as anyone else.

Post I was responding to was one saying that having the military on patrol was a "normal" thing at airports, which is far from the truth in most nations.

Yeah, my post was fucking dumb, I wasn't giving the military/police distinction the importance it deserves. I still don't see any military in the video though.

Nodnol

What exists in U.S. law that allows the President to be removed? I know we were all discussing impeachment regarding the Russia ties, but what else is buried in your constitution? Is there any hope that anyone can stand up and stop this lunatic?

Hey guys, what if Trump is like, "let me go full asshole mode week 1, that way everything after that makes me look like a saint."

Right...maybe. Hopefully.

What exists in U.S. law that allows the President to be removed? I know we were all discussing impeachment regarding the Russia ties, but what else is buried in our constitution? Is there any hope that anyone can stand up and stop this lunatic?

I think the President has the authority to enact temporary suspensions to immigrants / aliens and visa holders.

Jimmy Carter did it against Iran at one point, and I think George Bush did it right after 9/11.

Divisive political views and actions aren't grounds for impeachment generally speaking. Right now the best hope for impeachment would probably be on grounds of conflict of interest in regards to his business or something he falsified in that regard.

slit

There have been more than 12 million that have protested overall. Have you not seen the news? Millions protested on inauguration day. If you're waiting for every single person in the country you are being foolish. Keep whining how it doesn't meet your standards though, that is a sure fire way to get people to care I'm sure.

cyba89

This is a very dark day for the US. As an european it's terrible to see how the country apparently went into full fascist mode in just a week.
Scary to think about how the US will look like politically in 4 years (or even just in 6 months).

What exists in U.S. law that allows the President to be removed? I know we were all discussing impeachment regarding the Russia ties, but what else is buried in our constitution? Is there any hope that anyone can stand up and stop this lunatic?

Only other way would be VP and cabinet declaring him unfit for duty.

Shadybiz

Can we hope that in some location somewhere, IC officials are discussing how Trump is basically becoming a tyrant?

This is insane

I'll guarantee you people are doing this...just a matter of whether or not they can do something about it. Russia investigation is still ongoing, I'd imagine.

100% but the cowardly fucks won't admit their culpability.

Don't worry, every once in a while one will show up expressing how all these labels we put on Trump supporters/voters are hurting their feel feels and use that as an excuse on why they voted for him in the first place. No defending their vote, no defending Trump, no defending his policies and cabinet picks, just a bunch of butthurt-selfish-sensitive-privileged thin-skinned man babies.

The Constitution allows the VP and the Cabinet to temporarily relieve the President of his duties if they deem him unfit for service (to make it permanent it would then need to go through Congress).

Not going to happen for obvious reasons. While we're seeing a dangerously unhinged psychopath driving the country over the cliff, what Republicans are seeing is that they have control of all branches of the government and that they won't let go of that opportunity.

Got

Banned
Don't worry, every once in a while one will show up expressing how all these labels we put on Trump supporters/voters are hurting their feel feels and use that as an excuse on why they voted for him in the first place. No defending their vote, no defending Trump, no defending his policies and cabinet picks, just a bunch of butthurt-selfish-sensitive-privileged thin-skinned man babies.

they'll get theirs in the end. at least there is that.

Wulfric

she's brown/hispanic...he'll probably find out where her family is from and ban that country next...

She's from Puerto Rico (me too). Banning US citizens would go over reaaal well. Puerto Ricans don't take shit from nobody.

Week 2, here we go....

Syriel

Im a citizen but now Im afraid to fly to other countries because I may not be allowed to come home. Jesus Christ this is a nightmare.

Thank God my mom came back before the inauguration.

If you are a US citizen, it is impossible for you to be banned from entering the country. Full stop. There is nothing Trump can do to change that.

Yeah, my post was fucking dumb, I wasn't giving the military/police distinction the importance it deserves. I still don't see any military in the video though.

Agree with you that the video looked like a police unit and not military. Appeared to be a response unit and not standard police that would be on duty, but still just police.

My comments about the military were in response to your post, not the video. Considering any visible military presence (outside of people traveling) as "normal" would be very weird in most Western countries.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The Constitution allows the VP and the Cabinet to temporarily relieve the President of his duties if they deem him unfit for service (to make it permanent it would then need to go through Congress).

Not going to happen for obvious reasons. While we're seeing a dangerously unhinged psychopath driving the country over the cliff, what Republicans are seeing is that they have control of all branches of the government and that they won't let go of that opportunity.

They'll have control no matter what. Pence or Ryan could end up the next president, and that is better for them (and us) in every way. They need to remove this walking sack of shit from power at the earliest opportunity.

Tahnit

Banned
I am so fucking enraged by this. This isnt right, this isnt constitutional. I want this nation to fight against the damn nazi republicans. We need another civil war.

Am_I_Evil

She's from Puerto Rico (me too). Banning US citizens would go over reaaal well. Puerto Ricans don't take shit from nobody.

Week 2, here we go....

guess that's what i get for not just looking myself...but not that the racist's will care....they'll see a "mexican" (because depending on where you're from they're all "mexican") and unfortunately will not listen to a word she says...

*i'm also slightly puerto rican...1/4 on my mother's side...my grandma is 100% puerto rican...but you can't really see it (ie: i'm white)

Linkura

Every Trump voter, and those who chose to stay at home on November 8th, are personally responsible for this and what may come next.

Yup, disowning everyone I know who voted for him, no matter what. Already did that to those who were outspoken on social media, but every family member who voted for him, I'm done with for good. Got several who voted for him just because he was pro-life, the lives of immigrants and the poor be damned.

They'll have control no matter what. Pence or Ryan could end up the next president, and that is better for them (and us) in every way. They need to remove this walking sack of shit from power at the earliest opportunity.

Pence and co are probably too scared of the reaction of Trump supporters. No way are they getting rid of Trump unless something really drastic happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom