• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not from the US, but this is the weirdest thing to me right now. These executive orders look like how the Weimar republic ended to me.

They were largely used responsibly by presidents in the past.
Obama received some criticism for their use to enact policy but Trump takes that to the extreme, it seems.

This is as good a reason as any to try to limit the use and immediacy of executive orders.

Have them be vetoed before they are enacted, not after.

What is the order of things to happen to have the EO overruled?

All afaik:
- The order is declared unconstitutional in a court challenge (this obviously takes time and could go up to the Supreme Court)
- Congress takes action by passing a bill reversing the order or something along that line (you wish, lol)
- The incumbent president repeals the order (obviously, we'd need a different president for that first...).

Tovarisc

kVvDo4o.png

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/825460236852932608

Video in source.

300 #Iranian religious minorities, including Jews, turned back & stranded in #Vienna.
@IvankaTrump @jaredkushner
https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/825480047767252999

Hearing that customs officials in tears because they can't get guidance from White House, DHS not returning calls, etc and crowds growing.
A reminder that a huge proportion of customs and border agents are military vets continuing to support our security. Still, Trump hides.
https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/status/825479636998045697

BowieZ

Banned
The scary thing about this, is that this move will only fuel the fire of extremism, and then Trump can say: "See, we were right all along!"

62641241.jpg
Well, I don't know if it was the goal.

But yeah.

This is playing into the hands of terrorists far more than it plays into the hands of any nut-job fascist Presidential advisor.

Sylas

Woorloog

Banned
This is the worst possible outcome, of course.

Of course. The question is, do the Republicans, Trump and his administration have anything to lose?
Because, i figure at this rate, people are going to be so pissed that they will lose all power if they let things happen normally. So, they will make sure they get to stay in power, by any means necessary. It is what fascists do.

I hope i'm wrong, i really do. But i don't think i am.

Wulfric

I wonder if this orange motherfucker realizes that the Armed Forces has enlisted people with Green Cards. Guess they cant come home, too.

Oh snap, I didn't even think of that. That will be quite the story if a soldier ends up detained.

I won't be surprised if the country is experiencing full blown riots by the end of February. He's been in office a week and the entire world is already melting.

Imagine what it looks like from the outside. America is not the shinning beacon it used to be. I didn't think this would happen in my own country.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Silicon Valley starts to push on this hard. A lot of their employees are, and excuse me for using the term but it's what the EO is actually going for, brown.

SV doesnt give a shit. Prominent people in the industry are working with the administration.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh snap, I didn't even think of that. That will be quite the story if a soldier ends up detained.

Trump talked about "rebuilding army". I figure that may be an euphemism for purges... Any soldier getting detained is probably disloyal anyway, to his thinking.

Sylas

SV doesnt give a shit. Prominent people in the industry are working with the administration.

That was before the administration was blocking people from green cards from getting into the country. We'll see, but I've a feeling SV's backing is gonna change real fast when their employees can no longer come into the country.

Well, I don't know if it was the goal.

But yeah.

This is playing into the hands of terrorists far more than it plays into the hands of any nut-job fascist Presidential advisor.

Terrorists are always looking for propaganda to ignite their cause and recruit people. This is throwing them enough material to last a generation, if this is not course corrected soon.

Also who is detaining these people? Is it not possible for all the cops to just refuse to follow the EO?

daveo42

Banned
Trump talked about "rebuilding army". I figure that may be an euphemism for purges... Any soldier getting detained is probably disloyal anyway, to his thinking.

His rebuilding is to secure the nation from hostile threats from within the nation, like a bunch of protesters. I mean terrorists, because if you disagree with him you might be a terrorist.

I'd say the best thing about Trump is that he's dug up all the scum hiding in the fringes and brought them to light so we can call them out for all of their racist, xenophobia bullshit.

I have a feeling they are going to have to walk this back, its only going to get worse.

A lot worse. It will take until Monday before this really starts to reach everybody. Right now it is just the very engaged that are responding, once this hits Sunday papers and Sunday news shows and Monday morning shows the response will be even greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom