• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The scary thing about this, is that this move will only fuel the fire of extremism, and then Trump can say: "See, we were right all along!"

62641241.jpg

DavidDesu

What terrifies me the most is there no checks and balances happening right now. Our entire system is borked.

Yeah I never thought these executive orders could be used so forcefully with basically no recourse. Electoral college system is just silly as well and it should be 1 vote just as important as any other, not some states more powerful than others with such imbalance that the loser can receive 3 million more votes!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, that's pretty fucked up. I had no idea this was so broad. I hope Congress can do something here.

Have you seen the republican reaction to this? Congress is not going to do anything about it.

I suspect the courts probably will though. Hopefully to the point that they issue a stay on the order extremely soon, so we don't have to wait for the case to be decided.

Customs guys *in US* are always assholes, now they are empowered to be assholes.

Customs generally are the world over (including some of the guys working on the way out customs for Manchester, for example). Only nice customs people I've ever met for going out and going in were the ones in Amsterdam, Japan (Osaka Airport) and Portugal. All of the other countries I've ever visited they've been funny about anything you're carrying that isn't a towel or clothes, some of them I can see why for security concerns, others just plain idiocy where they obviously get off on having "power" over others (sometimes happens to me, sometimes to people in front of me or just behind me). Unfortunately some of them honestly just do this for a living for that reason having "power" over you for about 5 minutes. It's so sad and pathetic.

Sounds like every humane human needs to march on Washington, not in protest but revolt. Remove this administration, they are the enemy of Americans, America and its values.

Look, I understand the sentiment, but do you realize what you're suggesting? A violent coup isn't going to help anyone.

Boke1879

Yeah I never thought these executive orders could be used so forcefully with basically no recourse. Electoral college system is just silly as well and it should be 1 vote just as important as any other, not some states more powerful than others with such imbalance that the loser can receive 3 million more votes!

And you see the clusterfuck it's caused when he doesn't even tell the DHS and other federal departments about this stuff.

Loxley

Trump has only been in office for a week and he's already sparked mass nation-wide protests two weekends in a row.

Really uniting the country there, you moron.

Does this mean someone with a green card from, say, Brazil wouldn't be allowed reentry if they were coming from the banned countries?

Not sure but it could mean that if some idiot from Brazil did something stupid and they institute a blanket ban, then yeah, any Brazilians, including greencard holders are fucked. It's a slippery slope.

Like both legislative statutes and regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review, and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution.

Looks like this will be the first real test to see how the Republican legislature stands up to Trump.

Remember that no one rules alone. He is making enemies and those enemies are sharpening the knives.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah this really demonstrates how much sheer damage could be done with an executive order. The process of blocking them happening after the fact opens up nasty possibilities when Literal Nazis are drafting the orders.

Chaos and sending a message is part of Bannon's game. The mosque in texas being burned, Trumpers and white nationalists the nation over cheering and becoming energized - even if the executive order is overruled tomorrow, a lot of the damage is done.

And having seen that it works, what is next?

I wonder if this orange motherfucker realizes that the Armed Forces has enlisted people with Green Cards. Guess they cant come home, too.

Kusagari

I won't be surprised if the country is experiencing full blown riots by the end of February. He's been in office a week and the entire world is already melting.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What terrifies me the most is there no checks and balances happening right now. Our entire system is borked.
Not from the US, but this is the weirdest thing to me right now. These executive orders look like how the Weimar republic ended to me.

LaronX

Neo Member
Right wing rhetoric is an issue in many parts of the West. Don't think the US is the only country kicking this stuff around.

Also, Congress will do shit. The only hope is the courts. Which will get less promising day by day as Trump is able to appoint justices in the Supreme Court and in lower level federal courts.

It sadly is, but in no other start in the west the President can circle jerk that much over everything. Other states have split in power for this very reason. The Congress seems at least concerned and half way think there might be something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom