• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppi

This surely has to be one of the events that gets this fucking traitor removed from office sooner rather than later.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Honestly in regard to the last tweet, who the hell cares? The IOC is a corrupt, duplicitous and hypocritical organization. Blow chunks losers.
Regardless, it's noteworthy because Trump has talked about successfully bringing the Olympics here in 2024 and making that something he could tout and be proud of.

Also, skipping over the arguments about whether such events yield net profits, when Trump's policies prevent business from coming here, that plays directly against him.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not a political guy, so correct me if I'm saying something incorrect here.

Trump said during his entire campaign the things he's now doing is exactly what he's going to do, no? He said he wanted a wall, he threatened to ban Muslims, he was anti-science, anti-environmental awareness, etc, right?

And even though he didn't win the popular vote, 62.4 million people still voted for him anyway?

To me, that is just as big if a problem as Trump himself, no?

I feel like it's worth pointing out for anyone who might care that Bier writes for Cato. Dunno how sound his analysis is, but it is interesting.
I hope the IOC and FIFA ban the US from competing internationally for this stuff.
I don't see why anyone would hope or care. The IOC and FIFA have let literal dictatorial regimes compete in their events. A ban on the USA wouldn't count for two rat shits without them banning other countries.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah I think we all recognize that. Just a matter of if the courts have the balls to override the president.

Well, if you rule on law and have a decent spine, then it shouldn't be an issue. The worry is the Supreme Court setting precedent on it after Trump has made his new Justice pick.

This racist motherfucker

Edit: tweet may have been hasty, bill was from 2015
Guys, it might be getting worse:

8iiJmYf.png

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/825394671601987584

Trump said during his entire campaign the things he's now doing is exactly what he's going to do, no? He said he wanted a wall, he threatened to ban Muslims, he was anti-science, anti-environmental awareness, etc, right?

And even though he didn't win the popular vote, 62.4 million people still voted for him anyway?

Yes. You are right.

[very wise conservative or centrist voice] Your mistake was taking Trump literally. His hyperbole was a populist ploy to ingratiate himself with the white working class by showing he was serious about tackling jobs, healthcare, immigration, and security in a way that spoke to their frustrations, not necessarily signalling he was actually going to do these things, and the voters picked up on his rhetoric in turn.

*Trump actually literally does all of those things*

Hmm well look at the time, gotta go

Azzanadra

I'm surprised Pakistan isn't on the list, but I suppose that's "good" for me. Sending love to the brothers and sisters whom this effects.

Jibbed

I'm from the UK and I can't believe how there's been no voiceful opposition from anyone in power yet.

Disgusted that May didn't denounce the ban earlier today.

It strikes me as darkly hilarious that in consideration of all the inhumane, awful shit that's going on right now, anyone could view this as an important concern.

Families are getting split apart, people's lives are getting destroyed. Who gives a fuck about the Olympics?

someone has to think about water polo

I shall be their voice

Please think about water polo

Woorloog

Banned
Trump moves quite fast. I'd give it a few days :(

Trump and Bannon move fast on purpose. The stronger the fascist momentum, the harder it is to stop. The faster they do things, the faster they hope to wear down protesters... and if protesting falters at all, they will have free reign.

New002

It strikes me as darkly hilarious that in consideration of all the inhumane, awful shit that's going on right now, anyone could view this as an important concern.

Families are getting split apart, people's lives are getting destroyed. Who gives a fuck about the Olympics?

Yeah my response to that tweet was basically:

giphy.gif

mjp2417

Banned

Trump said during his entire campaign the things he's now doing is exactly what he's going to do, no? He said he wanted a wall, he threatened to ban Muslims, etc, right?

Yes, this is exactly right. Trump is merely the flashpoint for the ugliest strains of American life. He didn't create them; he just gave them a megaphone. This is exactly what his supporters wanted.

Losing event like Olympics is big revenue stream lost for local business. From construction to hotels to entertainment to....
Do you know anything about the economic sinkholes that Olympics are? Or the incredible corruption and lack of morals within the IOC? There's a lot of stuff to be upset about with Trump, but possibly losing the Olympics is incredibly far down the list for me.
Regardless, it's noteworthy because Trump has talked about successfully bringing the Olympics here in 2024 and making that something he could tout and be proud of.

Also, skipping over the arguments about whether such events yield net profits, when Trump's policies prevent business from coming here, that plays directly against him.
Sure, it hurts him a bit. But in the long run does it do him that much damage? He'll play it off as some globalist elite conspiracy and pander to his base with any IOC pushback.

Basically I feel in agreement with this:

Kyoufu

This sounds insane, the whole foundation of what it means to be a citizen of the USA is breaking down.

Very interesting thing to write a paper about sometime but if this will be allowed to continue then I don't get why pretend to have check and balances at all. It will essentially be meaningless.

unless it doesn't count for citizens after all

Dual citizen of the US and which country?

I'm British-iranian.

Vena

Ya...

We're definitely entering a dangerous time if Trump/Bannon are making moves like this. The Joint Chiefs are not going to take this sitting down. These are some of the most powerful people in the country, and control the military.

Trump and Bannon are playing with fire, and this is fire that can march into the White House and drag them into the streets.

Surfinn

I wonder how many people would have still voted for him if he said "I'm never going to release my tax returns" in the debates.

But.. promises kept.. right?

Considering the 1936 Olympics happened in Berlin, it's a strong message to dump USA.

I better to get on the ball and apply for citizenship before he considers a ban on Mexican immigrants next. I'm a permanent resident and have lived in the US legally and lawfully since I was 1 year old. I'm nearing 30 years old and for differing circumstances I haven't been able to apply for citizenship but I feel now that takes propriety in my life before I get "sent back" to a country I have no ties or a life in.

Vena

Uh what does this mean? In Reddit lingo, ELI5?

The DNI and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are no longer going to be automatic members to the National Security Council, meaning that they could be removed (or have been removed) and would have no control/oversight/insight on domestic policy moves done in the name of "security" like this ban.

Basically, its a consolidation of power or an attempt at it, against the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the DNI.

kmax

Do you know who celebrates all of this?

Trump supporters, racists and actual terrorists like ISIS.

What a lovely bunch.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sure, it hurts him a bit. But in the long run does it do him that much damage? He'll play it off as some globalist elite conspiracy and pander to his base with any IOC pushback.
These things add up, and it's how you might get some of the 'reasonable' Republicans to turn on Trump. The ones who only care about business opportunities.

Lo-Volt

I hear you, but here's another way to think of that statement: one of the more influential cultural organizations in the world just said the United States is no longer trustworthy or safe enough for them to hold their premier event there.

I better to get on the ball and apply for citizenship before he considers a ban on Mexican immigrants next. I'm a permanent resident and have lived in the US legally and lawfully since I was 1 year old. I'm nearing 30 years old and for differing circumstances I haven't been able to apply for citizenship but I feel now that takes propriety in my life before I get "sent back" to a country I have no ties or a life in.
Just mailed in my N-400. I'm from the Philippines so Trump might be fucked enough to ban us because of the Islamist Mindanao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom