• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DNI and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are no longer going to be automatic members to the National Security Council, meaning that they could be removed (or have been removed) and would have no control/oversight/insight on domestic policy moves done in the name of "security" like this ban.
And I assume that's a big deal for them to no longer be members? They've always been such?

Trump and Bannon move fast on purpose. The stronger the fascist momentum, the harder it is to stop. The faster they do things, the faster they hope to wear down protesters... and if protesting falters at all, they will have free reign.

so we really must act quickly

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone remember this oft-quoted statement after the election?

on Trump: The press takes him literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally

It turns out both sides were wrong. You're supposed to take him seriously. And you're supposed to take him literally.

[very wise conservative or centrist voice] Your mistake was taking Trump literally. His hyperbole was a populist ploy to ingratiate himself with the white working class by showing he was serious about tackling jobs, healthcare, immigration, and security in a way that spoke to their frustrations, not necessarily signalling he was actually going to do these things, and the voters picked up on his rhetoric in turn.

*Trump actually literally does all of those things*

Hmm well look at the time, gotta go
I wonder where all these assholes went.
They're probably with the humane, semantics oriented guys who went to great lengths to explain how this wouldn't be enforced as a very obviously racist tool, as religion is not a race.

For evil so deep to take root, you need a very large bunch of apathetic motherfuckers.

This racist motherfucker

Edit: tweet may have been hasty, bill was from 2015

Read the bill. Don't just post some dude's Twitter. Always review primary sources. Especially when they're posted in 2015.

The bill aims to designate the Muslim Brotherhood -- NOT CAIR -- as a "foreign terrorist organization."

Whether that's a desirable goal is another discussion entirely, but let's have the right one.

CAIR is referenced as a Congressional "finding":

S.2230 said:
During the trial and in court documents, Federal prosecutors implicated a number of prominent United States-Islamic organizations in this conspiracy, including the Islamic Society of North America, the North American Islamic Trust, and the Council on American-Islamic Relations. These groups and their leaders, among others, were named as unindicted co-conspirators in the case.

This is a recitation of fact. It carries no legal obligation.

Future

People did vote for this...

I think that's the worst thing about all of this. People knew shit like this was going to happen and still don't fucking care.

It's what I've been saying. This sucks but it is exactly what Americans voted for or didn't vote against (by not voting)z

Can you imagine if a liberal got into office and pushed forward policy as fast as this. It would be amazing

Tovarisc

Combine that with this;
7z19WQm.png

https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/825483105620332545

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
https://twitter.com/NNNICKKK/status/825450376845332480

A Clemson professor was deported and is unable to return to her home of 7 years.
Awful. :(

American citizens cannot be banned from re-entry. That is long settled law.
Ah, gotcha.

Non-citizens (including permanent residents) are caught up in the ban.
Yep, it's complete insanity.

Do you know who celebrates all of this?

Trump supporters, racists and actual terrorists like ISIS.

What a lovely bunch.
Don't forget David Duke and the KKK

Can't say I'm a fan of the NO BORDERS sign at the protest. That's the kind of thing that pushed Trump voters to Trump. This is about a vetting process that is already the strictest in the world being better than stupid bans, not getting rid of borders.

Ac30

The DNI and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are no longer going to be automatic members to the National Security Council, meaning that they could be removed (or have been removed) and would have no control/oversight/insight on domestic policy moves done in the name of "security" like this ban.

Basically, its a consolidation of power or an attempt at it, against the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the DNI.

Wow. This is unprecedented isn't it.

Vena

And I assume that's a big deal for them to no longer be members? They've always been such?

Of course. Its a consolidation of power away from the JCoS and the DNI (and the IC).

If people wanted to see the early signs of a military coup and/or (in the reverse) the attempt at authoritarian power consolidation, this would probably be it.

It also places Bannon on the Council, which is unheard of.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Can't say I'm a fan of the NO BORDERS sign at the protest. That's the kind of thing that pushed Trump voters to Trump. This is about a vetting process that is already the strictest in the world being better than stupid bans, not getting rid of borders.

Who gives a shit about Trump voters. No more appeasement. They'll always vote Trump.

Woorloog

Banned
so we really must act quickly

The faster protests can be mounted the better. But i think mere protests aren't enough. Strikes are probably needed as well. Still, any kind of resistance is probably good, provided it doesn't piss off people (ie vandalism must be avoided).

Wulfric

Trump talked about "rebuilding army". I figure that may be an euphemism for purges... Any soldier getting detained is probably disloyal anyway, to his thinking.

I'm gay. If Trump wants to revive Don't Ask Do Tell, younger soldiers certainly won't take it lying down. I think even vets have a limit to the BS they'll listen to.

So is Mattis still in on this stuff at least? This is troubling.

Woorloog

Banned

Basically, its a consolidation of power or an attempt at it, against the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the DNI.

Basically, Trump administration would send orders directly to military or what?

If Trump continues his trajectory, there will be literal violence on the streets. The majority won't allow the minority to create a facist state.

Vena

Basically, Trump administration would send orders directly to military or what?

No. The JCoS still control the military (and Mattis is on the DoD, so the pathway for Trump is pretty much lost). This is for setting domestic security policy. This is xenophobia and racism, pure and simple, and a power grab.

So basically these motherfuckers are seizing as much power as possible so the harder it'll be to stop their fascist and racist fantasies?

Basically this is Trump and Bannon running headlong into a possible military coup where both of them are shot in the head.

Of course. Its a consolidation of power away from the JCoS and the DNI (and the IC).

If people wanted to see the early signs of a military coup and/or (in the reverse) the attempt at authoritarian power consolidation, this would probably be it.

It also places Bannon on the Council, which is unheard of.
How long has this been precedent? And what does Brannon on the Council and the others not being guaranteed power mean in practical terms for their operations

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So basically these motherfuckers are seizing as much power as possible so the harder it'll be to stop their fascist and racist fantasies?
I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet, as I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about the inner workings of US government and protocols, but... it sure as fuck look like it :S Holy shit...

Woorloog

Banned
I'm gay. If Trump wants to revive Don't Ask Do Tell, younger soldiers certainly won't take it lying down. I think even vets have a limit to the BS they'll listen to.

Didn't say it was rational. But then Trump's and Bannon's actions aren't, isolationism and protectionism and pissing off allies aren't rational.
What they do hurts them in the long term, but in the short term it might not matter. And all they want is as much power as possible, and they don't think in long term because they think once they have everything, they get to keep it.

Got

Banned
No. The JCoS still control the military (and Mattis is on the DoD, so the pathway for Trump is pretty much lost). This is for setting domestic security policy. This is xenophobia and racism, pure and simple, and a power grab.

Basically this is Trump and Bannon running headlong into a possible military coup where both of them are shot in the head.

I'm okay with this.

Linkura

Just mailed in my N-400. I'm from the Philippines so Trump might be fucked enough to ban us because of the Islamist Mindanao

Nah, Duterte is his friend in fascism.

But seriously, anyone who lives in the US and hasn't filed for citizenship, and wishes to stay in this country, needs to get on that shit ASAP.

Vena

How long has this been precedent? And what does Brannon on the Council and the others not being guaranteed power mean in practical terms for their operations

I don't think they have never not been automatic members at setting the ground work for domestic policy. They are the intelligence and military in representation.

I'm okay with this.

This would shatter the country, its not something to be "okay with". None of this is "okay" but Trump is playing with fire that can walk up to his front door and "remove him" very quickly.

Eylos

Banned
im thinking in a woman or man that have work and family in US only have green card, travelled to another country for work or whatever, them she/he find out they lost everything and they have to live their lives in another country

this is fucked up

It strikes me as darkly hilarious that in consideration of all the inhumane, awful shit that's going on right now, anyone could view this as an important concern.

Families are getting split apart, people's lives are getting destroyed. Who gives a fuck about the Olympics?

Well, Trump does. He's on record as wanting it in the U.S. badly (as authoritarians often want).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom