• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combine that with this;
7z19WQm.png

https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/825483105620332545

This is an unending nightmare.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The DNI and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are no longer going to be automatic members to the National Security Council, meaning that they could be removed (or have been removed) and would have no control/oversight/insight on domestic policy moves done in the name of "security" like this ban.

Basically, its a consolidation of power or an attempt at it, against the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the DNI.

Zeke Miller ‏@ZekeJMiller
Admin ofl explains rationale for not having DNI/CJCS at every NSC Principals Comm: respecting their time when their issues aren’t up

Uh huh, sure.

Pandy

It strikes me as darkly hilarious that in consideration of all the inhumane, awful shit that's going on right now, anyone could view this as an important concern.

Families are getting split apart, people's lives are getting destroyed. Who gives a fuck about the Olympics?
In fairness, it's a comment from an IOC member. It's their job to give a shit about the Olympics.

I doubt they think it's the most important aspect, but it is important that they point out how this shit will hit the fan in their area of responsibility. You'd prefer that they said nothing, and pretended it was fine? Of course not.

Garlador

Fight this hard.

Not one inch.

This are the moments that not only define a nation, for decades to come, but they define what type of people YOU truly are.

This isn't hyperbole. This isn't exaggeration. This is when the moment comes where a hateful demagogue declares that basic human rights and law are beneath him, and we either stand proud against it, or snivel away into the dark.

I'm going to be proud to tell my kids and my grandkids that I stood defiant in the face of tyranny.

This is not just. This is not lawful. This is not humane.

And I WILL NOT TOLERATE IT.

Vena

It honestly depends on if the military has the stones to revolt considering how goddamn crazy such a thing sounds

The military? The military is one of the most proactive members of our political system. If they deem it fit and/or their power is threatened by power consolidation, they will march on the White House.

Obama basically told them to do it, if people remember.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Bannon is the first to... be sent on vacation.

I'm gay. If Trump wants to revive Don't Ask Do Tell, younger soldiers certainly won't take it lying down. I think even vets have a limit to the BS they'll listen to.

So is Mattis still in on this stuff at least? This is troubling.

Anecdotal, but: of my veteran friends, 100% of them are absolutely appalled at what's going on. I was (and am) an Air Force JAG. Commitment to the rule of law is the very objective for which we were literally trained to fight.

No one is above that. Not even the President.

Ashby

The military? The military is one of the most proactive members of our political system. If they deem it fit and/or their power is threatened by power consolidation, they will march on the White House.

As someone who thinks Obama should have refused to step down, I do not recall this.

daveo42

Banned
Well, Trump does. He's on record as wanting it in the U.S. badly (as authoritarians often want).

Hahahahahahahahahaha like we'll ever host an international event like that ever again. Whole portions of the world would refuse or be unable to enter the country.

One of the main agencies of Government Intelligence being kicked out in favor of a nazi. Awesome. How much more fucked can America get?

Ac30

Well you want the man in charge of the country in there right?

Make no fucking mistake about it, everything that has happened in the last week was created and approved by our Un-elected President Steve Bannon.

We were wrong. Trump isn't Putin's puppet, he's Bannon's puppet. That's one hundred times more terrifying, my God. A white supremacist has full control of the most powerful office in the world.

7threst

People did vote for this...

I think that's the worst thing about all of this. People knew shit like this was going to happen and still don't fucking care.

I might be naive, but I didn't think this would literally be happening and if it would, there would be congress to stop him.

I'm not from the US, so I'm not really in the know of the inner workings of American politics, but I'm just baffled about what's happening and really can't believe it doesn't seem anybody can stop this fool for doing this.

Think about how fucking terrifying of a concept that is

But yeah, Bannon is almost assuredly the #1 target if that ever happens

FZZ

Banned
When can we start fighting

Protests and rallies aren't doing shit

Military coup sounding like a better option...

imagine being convicted of treason for a forum post brehs

Woorloog

Banned

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Bannon is the first to... be sent on vacation.

If the US Military would take a role, it will split almost certainly (I mean, i thought the military is heavily conservative and Republican, so any elements removing the president would have to be the opposite, no?). And if so, it is immediate civil war.

GutsOfThor

I don't remember this.

Vena

Think about how fucking terrifying of a concept that is

But yeah, Bannon is almost assuredly the #1 target if that ever happens

To be fair, I think people will march on the White House before the military does but if the GOP won't do it and the protests remain civil, it will be the military that drags Trump/Bannon out of the oval office.

[very wise conservative or centrist voice] Your mistake was taking Trump literally. His hyperbole was a populist ploy to ingratiate himself with the white working class by showing he was serious about tackling jobs, healthcare, immigration, and security in a way that spoke to their frustrations, not necessarily signalling he was actually going to do these things, and the voters picked up on his rhetoric in turn.

*Trump actually literally does all of those things*

Hmm well look at the time, gotta go

dLEQyEx.jpg

That's a power grab. And the timing is no coincidence either.

Bannon needs to go, that guy is a straight up fascist.

If Republicans have any decency left, they'd step up and prevent further disasters. But increasingly they choose to fail the country and the world for their party.

When can we start fighting

Protests and rallies aren't doing shit

Military coup sounding like a better option...

imagine being convicted of treason for a forum post brehs

Just imagine if the second amendment that Republicans upheld the most militantly ended being their downfall. The irony would be glorious.
And the implications absolutely terrifying

Oxn

To be fair, I think people will march on the White House before the military does but if the GOP won't do it and the protests remain civil, it will be the military that drags Trump/Bannon out of the oval office.

America is too big an spreadout for people to gather together.

Yeah, both these elements deserve their own discussion IMO.

I mean, between their attacks on the press, the gag orders on scientific institutions, purges at all levels, and now putting their people at the head of this committee ?
They're basically eviscerating democratic checks and balances and stuffing them with their people. That's totalitarian. I'm saying in a 100% non-hyperbolic way.

Tahnit

Banned
Anecdotal, but: of my veteran friends, 100% of them are absolutely appalled at what's going on. I was (and am) an Air Force JAG. Commitment to the rule of law is the very objective for which we were literally trained to fight.

No one is above that. Not even the President.

I hope if things get too bad they will do just this.

lol it's gotten to the point where people genuinely want a military coup, trump is so fucking bad it's not even funny, bannon will go down in history as one of the most evil men and likely have his own chapter in future history books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom