• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm411

Hopefully he'll be out before Christmas. Pence is bad news, but we can at least guess he'll walk back pretty much everything of Trump's outside of stricter abortion rules and an anti-LGBTQ stance. While not ideal, it's far far better than what we have now.

Edit: i feel sick even considering that.

I know.....it's stomach churning to think that's the best alternative. So gross....

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tomorrow's front page:

MPJR8S2.png

mike6467

Hopefully you fix my grammar.

Heat of passion. My blood is boiling and I am livid.

And I saw that as a Republican who loathes what the GOP has become, as a man who resents everything Trump encourages in masculinity, as a Christian who cannot believe we'd violate our Muslim brothers and sisters' guarantee right to freedom of religion, and as a human being who felt this disgusting, racist, xenophobic, grossly inhumane treatment of others was left back in the dark ages where it belonged.

This is not okay. It is not normal. And I will not accept it or let the anger and cry for justice in my heart fade as I'm sure Trump and his cronies hope it does.

Quite the opposite; Trump is going to be quite upset to learn that the real patriots of the nation and the world are only getting started fighting back against his regime of bigotry, ignorance, and intolerance.

I only hope more people in positions of power grow a spine. Call your congressmen. Call your representatives. Remind them of their oaths of office. Have them recite their pledge to preserve and guarantee the rights and liberties of the constitution for all peoples - even Muslim ones. Shame them into action if you must.

But do not - I repeat - do not sit back idly and watch this circus play out. You are not in the stands. Citizens of the USA, you are on the center stage of the world right now, whether you want to be or not.

And what you do - or choose not to do - will determine the fate of your nation and millions of lives.

No pressure. Don't disappoint us.

This got stuck at the bottom of the page and deserves to be at the top. I'm going to share this with some people, just beautifully stated.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What are other prominent Republican figureheads saying about this? The Rubios and Bushes and Cruzes? McCain? Where are they?

My wife and I are in Vancouver visiting family and driving home to Seattle tomorrow. She was born in Iran but we are both US citizens. I hope the border crossing will go smoothly.

Fuck Trump! we should not have to worry about returning to our home!

tbm24

I mean realistically if it keeps growing it's gonna shut JFK down. Symbolism aside, flights aren't going to stop coming in.

RCSI

So time to protest and jam up the subways. Lock down the fucking city

Yep. This is a time that we need to break down that social barrier for support of those affected and an opposition statement toward T***p that this will not stand.

Edit: While remaining as safe as humanly possible.

kirblar

Yet somehow the D.C. Subway was just fine
DC was planned for months and was simply shuttling people in/out, and the Mall is capable of handling very, very large crowds. Neither of those things is true here, and moving the actual protest to something like Trump Tower while leaving JFK to the ACLU & Lawyer brigade would be fine.

May be more logistical problem of moving the amount there to support those detained at JFK than anything else.
I assume this isn't sinister but done for these kinds of practical reasons. But still, it's an awful look, on top of everything else.

Beyond the despicable ideology at the root of it, this crisis illustrates how Trump and his guys can't manage for shit: writing whatever horribly insane idea you've decided to enact is one thing, but having it executed properly without fucking up the many indépendant moving parts of basic society is another ballgame. The result is chaos, unintended consequences everywhere on top of looking like a spectacular asshole.

Garlador

What are happening to the detainees? Are they being deported?

They're in limbo right now. It can go either way.

Some are getting cleared to go through, on a case-by-case basis. Some are being denied entry outright.

Many, many politicians and lawyers are working to find legal loopholes to get them in.

DC was planned for months and was simply shuttling people in/out, and the Mall is capable of handling very, very large crowds. Neither of those things is true here, and moving the actual protest to something like Trump Tower while leaving JFK to the ACLU & Lawyer brigade would be fine.
It may have been planed. But the amount that came was not. I agree that some of it should be moved.

My knowledge of how the NYC subway system is pretty low so if they feel this is the best coarse for action to be safe then I will agree with that.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
CNN is showing the protests

Fox is doing a story on sleep appneia.

MSNBC is showing a program on inmates.

What are other prominent Republican figureheads saying about this? The Rubios and Bushes and Cruzes? McCain? Where are they?
We've seen some comments from lower Repubs. I think the only ones I've seen in this thread were from Herbert, Amash, Sasse and Dent. Don't think any higher officials have said anything.

RPGCrazied

CNN is showing the protests

Fox is doing a story on sleep appneia.

MSNBC is showing a program on inmates.

Fox News is a mouth piece for Trump, nothing more. MSNBC is pretty good with the night bloc during the weekdays.

CNN is hit or miss. Sometimes good, sometimes awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom