• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Just read that on Twitter (quickly translated with Google from French)

The most complicated matter now: explaining to the destitute people of the Rust Belt why the riding elites mobilize themselves to defend the immigrants. Because that is Trump's goal, to prove that the elites have nothing to do with Americans and prefer foreigners. Put yourself in the shoes of a Trump voter who sees mobilization at JFK: it just confirms his rhetoric. The ban is to endorse the national divide, to create an irreconcilable people. Nothing to do with Syria, Iraq or anything else. In the playbook of the little autocrat Trump ticks for the moment all the boxes. And the efficiency with which it arrives has enough to frighten

So true, it confirms their bias about un-patriotic liberals.

Nothing more patriotic than what these people are doing right now. We are a nation of immigrants.

Lady Liberty says it best:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews

Airport protests tonight against President Trump's refugee ban:
✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

These cities, I fucks with you.

In keeping with the terrifying thought process we've got going on here, if a military coup happens, there's no way they lose.
That's working under the assumption that a military coup would occur with a unified military backing. Which it wouldn't. It would actually probably cause a break in the military and outright war between factions.

Ac30

Thats cuz some of those countries he has business ties to

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-muslim-ban-excludes-countries-linked-businesses-article-1.2957956

"Friday’s executive order, signed at the Pentagon, suspends the issuing of U.S. visas or travel permits to people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Not a single American was killed on U.S. soil by citizens from any of those countries between 1975 and 2015, according to statistics tallied by the conservative-leaning Cato Institute."

It's not because of his business ties, it's because of the US's business ties in general. The Saudis, Egyptians and the like are valuable as trade partners; much easier to pick on the weak.

These cites, I fucks with you.

To be fair, those are basically all the international hubs

That's working under the assumption that a military coup would occur with a unified military backing. Which it wouldn't. It would actually probably cause a break in the military and outright war between factions.

Really just depends on who has the firepower to hit the White House or Trump Tower

✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

Whoa now don't we need to on a date first? 😘

Garlador

✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

Good. Keep 'em coming.

✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

We need to see more GOP cities in there!

Nothing more patriotic than what these people are doing right now. We are a nation of immigrants.

Wow... Anyone here watch One Piece?
There's a moment where Dragon saves all those homeless people living in the garbagelands outside of Sabo's city from burning to death. This whole statement reminds me of that scene.

The most complicated matter now: explaining to the destitute people of the Rust Belt why the riding elites mobilize themselves to defend the immigrants. Because that is Trump's goal, to prove that the elites have nothing to do with Americans and prefer foreigners. Put yourself in the shoes of a Trump voter who sees mobilization at JFK: it just confirms his rhetoric. The ban is to endorse the national divide, to create an irreconcilable people. Nothing to do with Syria, Iraq or anything else. In the playbook of the little autocrat Trump ticks for the moment all the boxes. And the efficiency with which it arrives has enough to frighten

Eh, but people rooting for Trump already believes this and already rejects any level of rational thinking or presentation of fact. I doubt this changes much from what they thought of liberals 24 hours ago.

Pomerlaw

ANYTHING will confirm their bias. ANYTHING.

There are those who you can talk with, try to reconcile, discuss - but for a large part it is useless to expect anything short term.

To be fair, those are basically all the international hubs
turns out when you actually meet and speak to immigrants on a regular basis, maybe you realise they're just like you with their own wants needs and worries

of course I don't expect trump supporters to ever understand this

You guys've got to stop caring about those idiots. They don't care about you. PROTEST

Ac30

Eh, but people rooting for Trump already believes this and already rejects any level of rational thinking or presentation of fact. I doubt this changes much from what they thought of liberals 24 hours ago.

Absence of activism would be much worse.Then there would be no resistance whatsoever and Bannon would have full control.

joe2187

Banned

Patriots are people that fight for the ideals of their home country.

Trump and CO represent nothing of American Ideology. They are a perversion of America that we have always fought against.

Wow... Anyone here watch One Piece?
There's a moment where Dragon saves all those homeless people living in the garbagelands outside of Sabo's city from burning to death. This whole statement reminds me of that scene.
One piece has many themes about the rich, poor, different races, etc.
Oda does an amazing job on that.

What is the alternative? Let's not stick up for what's right because of what some backwoods idiots who have no desire for the truth anyway might think? Fuck them.

Kaelan

Warms my heart to see lawyers offering their services for free to anyone detained. Even though we're in a shit time it's nice to see us all united and fight for whats right: these people to get home in face of an outrageous ban.

Coffinhal

Yes, but these people have another definition of patriotism, that is leaning towards nationalism and exlusivity while yours is inclusive and multi-culturalist. There's an ideological clash here and that's why you have different ways of interpreting an event.

Big issue is : how to show the people who voted Trump (or didn't vote) that and to change their opinion, if possible.

Yes, but these people have another definition of patriotism, that is leaning towards nationalism and exlusivity while yours is inclusive and multi-culturalist. There's an ideological clash here and that's why you have different ways of interpreting an event.

Big issue is : how to show the people who voted Trump (or didn't vote) that and to change their opinion, if possible.

Can't change their opinion. You've got to outnumber them

The best part is what the fuck did any of us do to get here? I was born here that's it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
One piece has many themes about the rich, poor, different races, etc.
Oda does an amazing job on that.

I recall there was one panel where some bratty noble girl was looking down on some homeless people and declaring that if they didn't want to be poor they should have just been born nobles. That's pretty much what I feel goes on in Trump's head sometimes.

stuminus3

This doesn't matter anymore. The alternative is to bend over and take it, which would be worse.

tbm24

They should read a book about New York City if that's their attitude.

Linkura

Just donated $500 to the ACLU. They are a great org and they are literally on the ground right now. They deserve any support y'all can give, even if it's just a few bucks. Every little bit adds up, trust me.

Izayoi

Banned
Rural areas will dragged into the future, kicking and screaming, whether they like it or not.

Eventually the cities will have such a large majority that it will be impossible for their voices to be drowned out by racist hicks any longer.

The sooner the electoral college is gone, the better.

Boke1879

One thing that gives me hope despite it all. Is that for some some reason I feel this generation of young people are fearless.

during the BLM protests. Them standing up to riot police and not being scared. If we fully go down this road. We don't take it lying down.

Republicans? Where are the fucking Democrats?

Letting the GOP own their own damn mess.

If they show up, the right media will spin this into a Democrat-fueled protest, and not a genuine protest. GOP members are showing up because they know this shit will break them on re-election. And maybe a few are actually decent people.

remember, those right media encircling the normal ones managed to defeat the most qualified candidate in US history. Democrats can't be part of this right now.

Why do you think the WH / Bannon / Spicer yelled media to 'shut up'? Because there's nobody to blame other than the GOP itself right now. They can't spin it, and Trump is probably fuming, along with Bannon.

Btw: if nobody knows what's going on, doesn't that mean the proper chain of command has been breached, making this whole detaining illegal?

Coffinhal

ANYTHING will confirm their bias. ANYTHING.

There are those who you can talk with, try to reconcile, discuss - but for a large part it is useless to expect anything short term.

I believe we have to dissociate the people who are hardcore supporters, who are likely heavily invested and politicized ; and the people who don't follow the news in depth,

The first ones are not a target and discussion with them is impossible, but for the others you need to show them an alternative view of the world that is linked to their day-to-day life (because that's where you build your opinions, with emotions and personnal stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom