• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

Just read that on Twitter (quickly translated with Google from French)

The most complicated matter now: explaining to the destitute people of the Rust Belt why the riding elites mobilize themselves to defend the immigrants. Because that is Trump's goal, to prove that the elites have nothing to do with Americans and prefer foreigners. Put yourself in the shoes of a Trump voter who sees mobilization at JFK: it just confirms his rhetoric. The ban is to endorse the national divide, to create an irreconcilable people. Nothing to do with Syria, Iraq or anything else. In the playbook of the little autocrat Trump ticks for the moment all the boxes. And the efficiency with which it arrives has enough to frighten

So true, it confirms their bias about un-patriotic liberals.
Its a divide Trump is reinforcing and if they can't see that at this point, I don't care what they think anymore.

I stand with the protestors, people can't afford to quietly submit and just take it until it's too late. You have to stand up and let your voice be heard.

I'm seeing someone claim that Obama implemented a similar ban on Muslims in 2011 which makes us all hypocrites, does anyone have the facts on this?

C3TSQ7cWAAASjFG

👏👏

Beartruck

One thing that gives me hope despite it all. Is that for some some reason I feel this generation of young people are fearless.

Baby Boomers crapped in our mouths and then told us it was our own fault. We're mad as hell, and we're not gonna take it anymore. Everyone is angry now, but our anger is different. It is the anger of righteous indignation.

Vestal

I'm seeing someone claim that Obama implemented a similar ban on Muslims in 2011 which makes us all hypocrites, does anyone have the facts on this?

Heres some info...

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qa...terrorists-country-refugees/story?id=20931131

It was a direct response to some issues found in how Iraqi refugees were being processed.

Not to mention that this was done in coordination with the State Department, DHS and other agencies, not a Presidential Decree.

JDHarbs

To be fair, it's not really an international hub people from the Middle East fly into. Most cities are liberal controlled.
True, but I just wished my hometown was as passionate about this stuff as other cities.

Nothing major in KC or STL doesn't really surprise me. Even if we weren't within a pretty red state, those aren't exactly the hugest international hubs.
Yeah, but I still find it odd that there is no participation here even after the Women's March and Inauguration protests recently attracted decent crowds.

Linkura

I don't have Twitter. :( Does anyone know if anyone is matching on Facebook?

Atenhaus

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews

Airport protests tonight against President Trump's refugee ban:
✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

These cities, I fucks with you.

About to head out to the Seattle one.

It's almost like they knew it would get fucking crushed so they did that, put it out on a Friday, and will just lol when it gets bounced in a couple weeks
Basically what's happening here is their way of saying we can do whatever we want. This is why the ACLU and other organizations are so important right now.

Coffinhal

What is the alternative? Let's not stick up for what's right because of what some backwoods idiots who have no desire for the truth anyway might think? Fuck them.

The alternative is building an alternative.

Protests are important but that's the start of a movement. Let's not forget that a large majority of Trump voters (=/= from hardcore supporters) are people that suffered from public policies made by both Democrats and Republicans. It's hard to here but you won't win the next elections if no real alternative, with both a view on the world and a project of public policies, is built. In other words it's not just wanting to go back to Obama (like Hillary Clinton campaigned) and protesting every bit of paper that Trump drafts, but preparing what will come after the next election. Otherwise Trump will win because he follows the world's view/ideology he designed and no one can match this. Lead the way, starting with small groups of people, and furthermore try to include people that are not from your social group (the opposite of "hewillnotdivide.us").

I understand that it may be too soon to hear that kind of thing but you'll see, protesting will just be the first step.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Republicans? Where are the fucking Democrats?

Did a quick look up on Twitter. Nothing from Bernie yet. Those who spoke out against this shitshow:
- Elizabeth Warren (MA)
- Senator Gillibrand (NY)
- Chuck Schumer (NY)
- Dick Durbin (IL)
- Patrick Leahy (VT)
- Dianne Feinstein (CA)

I stopped there, I'm sure there's more. Granted this is just Twitter, I don't know what else they are doing, but yeah, compared to the GOP side on Twitter alone which is radio silence, that's at least that...

Protests are being planned for other airports now. One in Miami for MIA is being organized right now

Obviously what is happening right now SUCKS ROYALLY. But seeing these protests... the reverse of Trump's coin... is so intensely satisfying. I've never seen anything like this before. One week in and people have risen up all over the country to protest this man. There are still good people in this country and I'm so glad for it.

RPGCrazied

Did a quick look up on Twitter. Nothing from Bernie yet. Those who spoke out against this shitshow:
- Elizabeth Warren (MA)
- Chuck Schumer (NY)
- Dick Durbin (IL)
- Patrick Leahy (VT)
- Dianne Feinstein (CA)

I stopped there, I'm sure there's more. Granted this is just Twitter, I don't know what else they are doing, but yeah, compared to the GOP side on Twitter alone which is radio silence, that's at least that...

Bernie just tweeted... but nothing about this.

Linkura

- Elizabeth Warren (MA)
- Chuck Schumer (NY)
- Dick Durbin (IL)
- Patrick Leahy (VT)
- Dianne Feinstein (CA)

Add Edward Markey (MA) to the list as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom