• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I got home late today because if a birthday. I am kinda shocked by what I am seeing over in America. A disgusting display by the current administration. I am glad to see though that there are already lots of people standing up against this. You guys will have to do this a lot from now on.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
O'Hare airport:

kbSeEd2.jpg

theosi

Canadian here, been following this all day - Just want to voice my support to all of you. It's incredible to see these protests. I've never really felt an urge to join a protest in person before like I have today.

I wonder if protests will start popping up here, I hope so. I've never felt the urge to march before - but this whole situation is insane.

Keep up the fight, friends. It looks like the world is with you.

laoni

Did a quick look up on Twitter. Nothing from Bernie yet. Those who spoke out against this shitshow:
- Elizabeth Warren (MA)
- Senator Gillibrand (NY)
- Chuck Schumer (NY)
- Dick Durbin (IL)
- Patrick Leahy (VT)
- Dianne Feinstein (CA)

I stopped there, I'm sure there's more. Granted this is just Twitter, I don't know what else they are doing, but yeah, compared to the GOP side on Twitter alone which is radio silence, that's at least that...

I know Senator Bob Casey is at Philadelphia's airport right now, there's a protest there right now.

He's come from some fancy event, he's in a full tux with tails

I'm just looking for information on how to retort someone trying to bash protestors with false equivalencies, not sure what the issue with that is.

My understanding is the Obama did so with direct intelligence of threat, worked with various departments to do so, and it wasn't a blanket ban.

Letting the GOP own their own damn mess.

If they show up, the right media will spin this into a Democrat-fueled protest, and not a genuine protest. GOP members are showing up because they know this shit will break them on re-election. And maybe a few are actually decent people.

remember, those right media encircling the normal ones managed to defeat the most qualified candidate in US history. Democrats can't be part of this right now.

Why do you think the WH / Bannon / Spicer yelled media to 'shut up'? Because there's nobody to blame other than the GOP itself right now. They can't spin it, and Trump is probably fuming, along with Bannon.

Btw: if nobody knows what's going on, doesn't that mean the proper chain of command has been breached, making this whole detaining illegal?
Exactly. Let them own this shit and wallow in it.

Coffinhal

Its a divide Trump is reinforcing and if they can't see that at this point, I don't care what they think anymore.

I stand with the protestors, people can't afford to quietly submit and just take it until it's too late. You have to stand up and let your voice be heard.

Heard by whom? The same people that are protesting?

Politics is about mobilizing your electorate but also agregating voters from other side. Just talking to yourself and your friends is exactly what Trump is searching for : creating chaos from the conflict, and winning over that political mayhem. You have to talk to everyone (or almost everyone, ofc some people won't change their mind). That's how national-populists are gaining shares of the electorate in Europe : they talk to everyone, including people from the far-left and center. And guess what, that's what works.

Abelard

Did a quick look up on Twitter. Nothing from Bernie yet. Those who spoke out against this shitshow:
- Elizabeth Warren (MA)
- Senator Gillibrand (NY)
- Chuck Schumer (NY)
- Dick Durbin (IL)
- Patrick Leahy (VT)
- Dianne Feinstein (CA)

I stopped there, I'm sure there's more. Granted this is just Twitter, I don't know what else they are doing, but yeah, compared to the GOP side on Twitter alone which is radio silence, that's at least that...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...efugee-order-plays-into-the-hands-of-fanatics

Reposting for new page. If anyone knows any more matches, please add them to the list and re-quote. Make your donations have a much greater impact with a simple tweet.

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews

Airport protests tonight against President Trump's refugee ban:
✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

These cities, I fucks with you.

I would add Portand to that list as well

https://twitter.com/ACLU_OR/status/825516324142977026

Joeku

Canadian here, been following this all day - Just want to voice my support to all of you. It's incredible to see these protests. I've never really felt an urge to join a protest in person before like I have today.

I wonder if protests will start popping up here, I hope so. I've never felt the urge to march before - but this whole situation is insane.

Keep up the fight, friends. It looks like the world is with you.

Just wait for the first time The Great Cheeto comes up to visit the PM. If you're anywhere near Ottawa, go to town. No doubt it will be massive.

Why does CNN continue to give a voice to Trumps people? Fucking cut them off! He called your organization fake new! Nut the fuck up already.

RDreamer

https://twitter.com/arimelber/status/825514236784832512
Guys I think might get off the internet for a bit.

Seems pretty confirmed now. I've seen numerous reports of this, and in general of just looking like the bill didn't have that oversight (references wrong immigration law)

This whole thing scares the fuck out of me. Not only is it evil policy, and it's bad policy, it's also implemented as recklessly as it possibly can be. What the fuck happens when we really need our government to have their shit together even moreso? What happens with a major tragedy or national security crisis.

Letting the GOP own their own damn mess.

If they show up, the right media will spin this into a Democrat-fueled protest, and not a genuine protest. GOP members are showing up because they know this shit will break them on re-election. And maybe a few are actually decent people.

remember, those right media encircling the normal ones managed to defeat the most qualified candidate in US history. Democrats can't be part of this right now.

Why do you think the WH / Bannon / Spicer yelled media to 'shut up'? Because there's nobody to blame other than the GOP itself right now. They can't spin it, and Trump is probably fuming, along with Bannon.

Btw: if nobody knows what's going on, doesn't that mean the proper chain of command has been breached, making this whole detaining illegal?

And the Democrats are smart to stay out of it. Just let the citizens of the U.S. handle it.

mjp2417

Banned
I'm seeing someone claim that Obama implemented a similar ban on Muslims in 2011 which makes us all hypocrites, does anyone have the facts on this?

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/world/middleeast/13baghdad.html?hp

Not one of the finer moments of the Obama administration and was reported on and justly criticized by the same left wing elites who allegedly celebrated it (alternative facts ya'll), but also sufficiently different from this that anyone using it to level charges of hypocrisy is being intellectually dishonest.

Stay is Granted Nationwide!!!!

Judge Donnelly "The stay is granted!"

4 factors have been met: Irreparable harm established, likelihood of success on merits, no harm to govt. Likelihood of class cert.

Judge: "Class is pretty well defined as outline in the papers - otherwise would be reviewing stays for a hundred people" so stay is national

Xe4

Banned
Fucking evil. Wish I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, so I could do something about this. I'll probably end up donating to the ALCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom