• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

I'm really curious if any of you with conservative friends who voted Trump are having any second doubts following his actions.

I need to believe that some conservatives are flipping. This is unreal. :(

Anyone and everyone I know who voted Trump are still diehard on the Trump wagon, but then again, they only glance at the news as they are flipping the channels and see protesters, get angry and say "why are they rioting? that's wrong" and then flip the channel and continue watching whatever else. They just aren't paying attention and just don't care now that voting is over. They only comment when they see the resistance and are confused.

But I also live in a virtually all Red state that was just recently labeled by a study as the most uneducated state. Also a coal state.

low-G

Anyone and everyone I know who voted Trump are still diehard on the Trump wagon, but then again, they only glance at the news as they are flipping the channels and see protesters, get angry and say "why are they rioting? that's wrong" and then flip the channel and continue watching whatever else. They just aren't paying attention and just don't care now that voting is over. They only comment when they see the resistance and are confused.

FWIW most of the anger from Trump thumpers I've seen is people thinking those being denied access are neophyte refugees who decided on a whim to come over or immigrants who have committed some crime. Not one of them actually even understands that there are legal long term residents who have committed no crime being detained.

Did see a small handful saying that those individuals detained should sue the gov't if they haven't committed a crime, so they really just don't have enough knowledge to actually weigh in.

UberTag

Donated to ACLU for the first time ever today. Plan on doing this more going forward. This was just the first battle.
I threw $50 US their way as well from north of the border.

This is a global fight to snuff out a threat to human rights and basic decency.
Canadians will stand united with the resistance movement in the U.S. every step of the way.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm really curious if any of you with conservative friends who voted Trump are having any second doubts following his actions.

They are. I work with a lot of conservative people who voted for Trump. I came into work 2 nights ago and people were watching the news and talking about how they couldn't believe what he's doing, he's crazy. Asked for my input, I said 'yeah, that's why I didn't vote for him.'

These people exist. And check the Trump_Regrets twitter.

I'm conservative, by the way. But I'm not a fucking idiot. I voted for Clinton.

Majukun

dude is doing everything he said he was going to do.
i don't think his voters have anything to flip for...if anything they are probably happy that things are going so fast

One of my friend is a "reborn again" Christian conservative. We don't talk about politics. I rather not bring it up as well. Last time we talked about politics, he wanted Cruz and dislike trump.

Eventually we drifted apart due to many reasons, mainly he got married to a girl with 2 kids. Now a days I only respond if he texts us in the group chat.

I haven't bother talking to my other conservative friends since they don't attempt to talk to me anyways.

Red

They are. I work with a lot of conservative people who voted for Trump. I came into work 2 nights ago and people were watching the news and talking about how they couldn't believe what he's doing, he's crazy. Asked for my input, I said 'yeah, that's why I didn't vote for him.'

These people exist. And check the Trump_Regrets twitter.

I'm conservative, by the way. But I'm not a fucking idiot. I voted for Clinton.
I don't believe the trump regret feed. There couldn't have possibly been so many people who did not know who he was or what he stood for. He had coverage every second of the day for an entire year. People knew what they were buying.

Bannon is worse.

Trump is just there for his ego and the prestige. Bannon actually believes in this shit.

Trump still deserves a shit-ton of scorn for giving the cocksucker power in the first place.

Then again, I guess it's just as well. The orange turd doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. His administration picks are already the worst of the worst. His top aide being a literal Nazi isn't in any way surprising.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Their FB feeds have been silent about Trump since Jan 20. Only a few made jokes about the Women's March but they're posting anything but Trump and his EOs.

I think they know how unpopular Trump's actions are among their friends so they're staying quiet, but I don't think they have voters remorse.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

Garlador

I don't believe the trump regret feed. There couldn't have possibly been so many people who did not know who he was or what he stood for. He had coverage every second of the day for an entire year. People knew what they were buying.

Some did and supported it. Some heard and didn't believe it. Some did and thought he wasn't serious. Some did and decided it wasn't a deal-breaker.

Even if you supported Trump "for taxes" or something, you should still stand against his blatantly unconstitutional order to discriminate against millions of people seeking asylum. By all means, advocate your tax breaks, but you don't have to go all-in on every stupid and unethical thing he does....

... fellow republicans and politicians, I'm looking at you.

pence-tweet.jpg

Barzul

They'd have to admit they made the wrong choice. You'd be amazed at the lengths people will go to deny what they know is clearly true because it'd mean they'd have to admit the were wrong and that they own their wrong choice.

Paz

The courts might protect the people for now, but in the coming months and years Donald Trump will have the opportunity to stack the SCOTUS with whoever his white supremacist chief strategist tells him to and that court won't give a fuck about anything he does to brown people.

Look at Brexit. People do make votes of passion, routine, low information, or just based on hope that things can't get any worse. And I think both 2000 and 2016 show that moderates grow extra complacent when the economy is doing well.

Most of my conservative friends have been weirdly silent, though there is one guy having a daily crisis of faith as the hits keep coming.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
New York Daily News ‏@NYDailyNews

Woman set for deportation takes 30 sleeping pills and some muscle relaxants in an attempt to commit suicide at JFK

She is in stable condition right now. It is sad to hear though.

Barzul

Look at Brexit. People do make votes of passion, routine, low information, or just based on hope that things can't get any worse. And I think both 2000 and 2016 show that moderates grow extra complacent when the economy is doing well.

Most of my conservative friends have been weirdly silent, though there is one guy having a daily crisis of faith as the hits keep coming.
I think a lot of people really didn't think Trump would do this stuff. Some of them really did think it was bluster, some people I know. They thought it was bluster, saying the extreme and then compromising with something more palatable. Now that they're seeing pure unadulterated Bannon-Trump policy, it's harder to ignore and wave away.

Woman set for deportation takes 30 sleeping pills and some muscle relaxants in an attempt to commit suicide at JFK

Sue those people for whatever they need to be sued! They are responsible for this woman!

Majukun

I only care about people who were undecided/swung Republican on election day.

I don't give a fuck about the rest.

they are all the same really
it's not like they got tricked into voting trump,guy was actually the most honest candidate i've ever see, he didn't hide his intentions at all.

Goddammit. Nearly choked up as soon as I read this.

The monsters that forced this horrendous EO through will just be like "Eh whatever" and then they'll blame the media.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from the DIA protest. Didn't realize how much I needed to go for myself and not just the movement. Really easy to get pessimistic and angry experiencing it all through the internet, but it does a lot for your faith in the country seeing so many people stand up and cheering for brown muslim immigrants at the place most associated with fear of those type of people.

I'm sure there will more opportunites to protest dumb shit Trump does, and when it happens, I really recommend joining the protests if you can.

Brinbe

Keep fighting, America. Stand up, get out, protest and let your voices be heard. This is the future of your country, and your ideals, at stake. This is a battle you can't lose.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

fuck this fucking bullshit holy fuck wow, hope she remains stable and makes it out ok

Good. Even if republicans are part of the problem, they still have the power to stop Trump as well.
This shows protests are working. Its only been a week.
No it isn't happening.

We've been hearing this BS about infighting for months now.

If it hasn't stopped this from happening in the first place it won't stop anything now.
What important is how it can be used. If democrats can gain allies from the other side. Then yes it can happen. Whether people like or not they hold the majority.

Just got back from the DIA protest. Didn't realize how much I needed to go for myself and not just the movement. Really easy to get pessimistic and angry experiencing it all through the internet, but it does a lot for your faith in the country seeing so many people stand up and cheering for brown muslim immigrants at the place most associated with fear of those type of people.

I'm sure there will more opportunites to protest dumb shit Trump does, and when it happens, I really recommend joining the protests if you can.

Well done! Just trying to find a local protest or finding time and money to travel to a protest is my issue.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
No it isn't happening.

We've been hearing this BS about infighting for months now.

If it hasn't stopped this from happening in the first place it won't stop anything now.

Shut the hell up. These are all steps in the right direction. This is a slow and steady swell of dissatisfaction that needs to continue to grow. Stop discouraging people. We need more of what we saw tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom