• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people did not believe he'd actually do this stuff. "It's just campaign rhetoric." I know a lot of people in real life who believed that. Now they're shocked he's doing it.

Of course it's insane, and idiotic. But they exist.

Hell, most everyone I know who voted for Hillary breathed a sigh of relief after the election when it seemed like he was mostly hot air.

I don't think anyone truly believed it would be this bad this fast except his hardcore fans and Trump = Hitler brigade.

Like to donate to the ACLU but can't for whatever reason (or want to donate a bit more)? Draw a picture!

7AMmYFx.png

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/825471810183503872

then people like that shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore

This. "It's just campaign rhetoric"/"I didn't think he/she was serious", is an infantile excuse, particularly now. Especially when the things you "didn't think he was serious about" were so patently offensive to democracy and civil rights. A person who is serious or not serious about a Muslim ban shouldn't be allowed in the White House but imbeciles gave him it.

I love how Saudi Arabia, the country most directly responsible for the spread of militant islam gets off scot free in the list, boy I wonder why.........

Bin Laden is dancing with the devil this day.

I love how Saudi Arabia, the country most directly responsible for the spread of militant islam gets off scot free in the list, boy I wonder why.........

Bin Laden is dancing with the devil this day.

In the 40 years to 2015, not a single American was killed on US soil by citizens from any of the seven countries targeted - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen - according to research by the conservative-leaning Cato Institute.

But the same research shows that in the same period nearly 3000 Americans were killed by citizens of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Turkey — most victims of the September 11 attacks.

zma1013

These fuckers

And it sucks because this is the shit my dad is going to be parroting on Monday

Smack down each thing in that headline. Tell him it's a propaganda website and that CAIR isn't a terrorist organization and remind him it's 100% American to protest and they are suing him because he is trying to enact unconstitutional laws and that he's endangering all of American by building up resentment and hate both domestic and abroad with all of this bullshit. Remind him that Dictators treat their own people badly, regardless if they supported him or voted for him or if they think they are the correct ethnicity. The oppression and tyranny will come down on everyone.

Formless

It's weird to hear an immigrant I know who gets business from green card/visa holders not care that this is going on. Not Muslim but how can there be no empathy?

Smack down each thing in that headline. Tell him it's a propaganda website and that CAIR isn't a terrorist organization and remind him it's 100% American to protest and they are suing him because he is trying to enact unconstitutional laws and that he's endangering all of American by building up resentment and hate both domestic and abroad with all of this bullshit. Remind him that Dictators treat their own people badly, regardless if they supported him or voted for him or if they think they are the correct ethnicity. The oppression and tyranny will come down on everyone.
I wish it was that easy. You underestimate the effect of listening and reading right wing news for years.

"Rioting", liberal propaganda, lower taxes, illegals, etc. is the only response I'd get

Formless

I wish it was that easy. You underestimate the effect of listening and reading right wing news for years.

"Rioting", liberal propaganda, lower taxes, illegals, etc. is the only response I'd get

Yep. Confronted with a dilemma I've seen no other response but dismissal and redirection.

But the stay is federal. Should somebody sue them?

They can do things quicker than courts and legislatures. I guess banking on being saved later.

Yep. Confronted with a dilemma I've seen no other response but dismissal and redirection.
On the flip side, I learned my grandmother had driven to Massachusetts to protest on Wednesday. She had protested during the Civil Rights Movement, never thought she'd be seeing this again

So that was inspiring

Vibranium

Banned
Donating to the ACLU. What dark times we live in, as a Canadian I only can hope things get better and try to prevent the same happening where I live.

And yeah, it's even more ridiculous how this farce doesn't extend to Saudi Arabia.

The US turning into a fascist country faster than expected. Trump and Trump voters only deserve scorn.

There was a Trump voter on my FB who was torn on the ban, and after I mentioned how Muslims have not been the problem whatsoever with attacks in this country (amazing what two seconds of Google will show you), their views on this started to change. They are to blame for this but at the same time, if there are those you can find who may be regretting anything, take that moment to educate them maybe you can get people to your side.

Crazy how people are in denial about this on social media. Posting shit newsites. This propaganda is out in full force. These people are so far gone.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And that headline is why a lot of people voted for Trump, defend him now, and think you are the treasonous traitor to America for not licking Trump's boots and praising him for saving us all.

Half the country is living in a WWII propaganda film strip reality.

Crazy how people are in denial about this on social media. Posting shit newsites. This propaganda is out in full force. These people are so far gone.

well the somewhat comforting thing is the Comments count @ brietbart is a meagre 43
but go to any washington post article and it is 1.5k 2.5k 3.5k comments and unlike pre-election, the alt-right have retreated to childish potshots at the top comments which are ignored.

SRG01

Has anyone from the White House said anything this evening? It seems strange that they've gone completely silent all of a sudden...

royalan

Has anyone from the White House said anything this evening? It seems strange that they've gone completely silent all of a sudden...

Of what value would it be? Honestly.

I'm glad the White House is staying shut the fuck up over this. Last thing we need is fucking Spicer and Conway shoving their alternative facts up our asses.

Piggus

There was a Trump voter on my FB who was torn on the ban, and after I mentioned how Muslims have not been the problem whatsoever with attacks in this country (amazing what two seconds of Google will show you), their views on this started to change. They are to blame for this but at the same time, if there are those you can find who may be regretting anything, take that moment to educate them maybe you can get people to your side.

I talked to my grandma as well about this. She had no idea that our vetting process for refugees was so extensive compared to other places. She also didn't know that this ban targets countries where Trump doesn't have any business interests. There are a lot of awful people who support this shit, but there are also good people who are just misinformed. My grandma ended up agreeing with me after she understood the facts.

Nelo Ice

Banned
For anyone following the SFO protest, we are at the doors or wherever they're supposed to come out and have been changing non stop "Let them go, right now!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom