• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I seriously think he is counting on it.

I get Underwood vibes from him.

You're probably right. He would love to campaign on being the first major Republican to denounce President Trump.

That was pretty much already his strategy during the election. He just fell right in line once Trump won. But I doubt his intentions changed.

Saudi Arabia likely still has people providing funding to ISIS and even if they don't they did for years.

But people need to stop asking about other countries because the Trumpers keep responding that they should add more

Saudi Arabia will never end on this list because they basicly own half of the United States.

This is not true at all and completely undermines the work of civil rights heroes in this country. We will fight this shit and we will win.

I applaud and deeply respect the efforts from said heroes. I really do.
but you have to understand that I cannot except/understand that a first world country and "leader of the free world" can invade unrightfully an entire country causing hundret thousands of (civilian) deaths.
oh and,you know, that death camp Guantanamo? Torturing wrongly accused people without a lawsuit since 15 years straight.
no way

don't get me wrong, there are also a lot of people in russia and saudi arabia fighting for human rights but I wouldn't call these countries human right paradises either.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You're probably right. He would love to campaign on being the first major Republican to denounce President Trump.

That was pretty much already his strategy during the election. He just fell right in line once Trump won. But I doubt his intentions changed.
He's always come off to me as a career politician through and through. He rides whichever wave benefits the most for him, preferably those that stick to his Republican values.

Damn I've got a flight to catch tomorrow I wonder if I'll see any protests. I've got a coule hours before the flight, maybe I'll join.

I also just learned Uber's CEO sits on Trump's economic advisory board. So fuck that company, I'll take the bus tomorrow.

EOs were part of the silent agreement between parties for decades. There are essentially no guidelines for them, and it was assumed that Presidents wouldn't be complete dicks and try to power grab multiple branches of government simultaneously with them. Similar to other unofficial quirks in Washington, both parties played along because anyone going batshit with EOs would trigger the other party doing it next time they were in power and would retaliate even worse. Same reason the Senate won't ditch the filibuster.

Then Obama happened and racist people got pissed enough to screw with the delicate balance and challenged him in court. SCOTUS tossed the immigration stuff as overreach in one of those unknown territory decisions. EOs are in completely unknown territory now under Trump. Even if they're are all challenged it takes foreeeeever to run through the process so Trump gets a window of potentially 6-18 months to run wild with anything signed.

Edit: And of course it's extremely possible that people he appoints will hear cases on his shit. So. Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GKL6i38pI&feature=youtu.be&t=3m7s

C3UO7LbWAAI0O5-.jpg

Rudy Giuliani says on Fox News that he along with some other reps drafted the EO.

It's frightening to hear him explain it. "At first he said he wanted a muslim ban, but then he called me up and asked how to do it legally"

giphy.gif

Chichikov

That was a great speech, good on him.

Meanwhile in Seattle, the Port of Seattle police tried to shut down the rail service to the airport so that people can't join the protest (and to probably murder nana Ruth, that hussie).
After 30 minutes the CEO of sound transit just went, you know what? no, we're not going to comply with that bullshit no more.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...ers-for-not-stopping-at-seatac-during-protest

antonz

“More disturbing, in some cases the individuals were allowed to board flights for the United States not knowing their visas had been terminated. They were only informed when they attempted to use their visas to seek admission and were denied. Even though they were ignorant of the termination, they were still charged with violating U.S. immigration law and given a five-year ban to future admission.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/29/trumps-muslim-ban-triggers-chaos-heartbreak-and-resistance/

This stuff is just insanity. Not only are they essentially pushing them into signing away their green cards etc. They are tricking people into signing documents saying they knowingly broke US law etc so they can be banned from entry etc,

BowieZ

Banned
Any other live stream? I can't be there but want to support them.
Not that I'm aware.

Just people streaming on social media. Not sure of other links.

UPDATE: Police have been ordered to keep in the holding pattern blocking access to the check-in areas without arrest.

It's so crazy to me that an actual racist is running the country right now and half of America just doesn't care... or worse, agrees with him.

NimbusD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GKL6i38pI&feature=youtu.be&t=3m7s

C3UO7LbWAAI0O5-.jpg

Rudy Giuliani says on Fox News that he along with some other reps drafted the EO.

It's frightening to hear him explain it. "At first he said he wanted a muslim ban, but then he called me up and asked how to do it legally"

Makes sense, which is why you wind up just blanket banning middle eastern countries which mostly arent even the ones successful terrorists have come from and then say, well, you know what christians can come!

HotHamBoy

It's so crazy to me that an actual racist is running the country right now and half of America just doesn't care... or worse, agrees with him.

This isn't the first time a racist has run the country with half of the population behind them.

This may be the first time a genuine egomaniacal sociopath has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom