• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OkCoenG.jpg

xjNFoEw.jpg

Hypocrite
In his situation, I hope he feels it. What an idiot. Thinking he'd be "one of the good ones."

Jumeira

Banned
Sorry, lets not shit the thread with hate mongers who are listed as anti-Muslim extremists by SPLC, even if they say something correct.

I understand this, but Maajid is strongly opposed to this and is bringing up fantastic arguments about how absurd this is, on his radio show he's calling upon all callers to sign the petition against Trump, asking people to protest tomorrow outside downing street and criticising our PM by using Sadiq Khan comments as an example of strong moral condemnation. He's doing good here. He's also shooting down Islamaphobes making nonsensical accusations about Muslims. I don't always agree with him, but I can't fault him here.

Tovarisc

Is Trump learning? Instead of going after the judge and last night ruling over his Twitter he instead kept attacking New York Times.

GCX

Even the leader of a populist True Finns party is condemning the ban here in Finland, good job US in making him look like a liberal saint compared to Trump.

BowieZ

Banned
Holy shit.

CNN right now. Giving me chills.

Rumors of foreign visitors having to provide social media profiles and mobile phone contact lists when the Muslim Ban develops further.

And calling out the Bannon coup.

If he says anything, it'll be like the Women's March statement and not actually be from him.

And yeah Bannon's gotta go. Shine a light on that shithead.

I understand this, but Maajid is strongly opposed to this and is bringing up fantastic arguments about how absurd this is, on his radio show he's calling upon all callers to sign the petition against Trump, asking people to protest tomorrow outside downing street and criticising our PM by using Sadiq Khan comments as an example of strong moral condemnation. He's doing good here. He's also shooting down Islamaphobes making nonsensical accusations about Muslims. I don't always agree with him, but I can't fault him here.
Of course he is doing all that. He speaks both sides of the moutg. He wants cred and dying to get taken off SPLC's list. His charlatan ways can go take a fucking hike.
His story, which has been told repeatedly in the British and American press and in testimony to legislators as well, sounds compelling enough — Nawaz says he grew up being attacked by neo-Nazi skinheads in the United Kingdom, spent almost four years in an Egyptian prison after joining a supposedly nonviolent Islamist group, but had a change of heart while imprisoned and then returned to England to work against the radicalization of Muslims. But major elements of his story have been disputed by former friends, members of his family, fellow jihadists and journalists, and the evidence suggests that Nawaz is far more interested in self-promotion and money than in any particular ideological dispute. He told several different versions of his story, emphasizing that he was deradicalized while in Egypt — even though he in fact continued his Islamist agitation for months after returning. After starting the Quilliam Foundation, which he describes as an anti-extremism think tank, Nawaz sent a secret list to a top British security official that accused “peaceful Muslim groups, politicians, a television channel and a Scotland Yard unit of sharing the ideology of terrorists,” according to The Guardian. The same newspaper reported that in 2009, a Quilliam official said that “gathering intelligence on people not committing terrorist offences … is good and it is right,” discounting civil liberties concerns. His Quilliam Foundation received more than 1.25 million pounds from the British government, but the government eventually decided to stop funding it. One of Nawaz’s biggest purported coups was getting anti-Muslim extremist Tommy Robinson to quit as head of the violence-prone English Defence League, trumpeting his departure at a press conference. But Robinson later said Quilliam had paid him some 8,000 British pounds to allow Nawaz to take credit for what he already planned to do. Shortly afterward, Robinson returned to anti-Muslim agitation with other groups.
We dont need these lying fucks for our defense. We have SPLC, CAIR, ACLU, etc.
https://www.splcenter.org/20161025/journalists-manual-field-guide-anti-muslim-extremists#nawaz

Caja 117

Media should start giving more spotlight to Banon, make it look he is the one in charge, I bet you anything this will just get Trump even more upset.

Trump's released schedule for today had him essentially taking the day off, so expect plenty of time for tweets if he feels like it.

Planting a seed in Trump's brain that maybe he's being used by Bannon would be... entertaining? Dangerous, but entertaining.

7threst

For people who don't know how they can contribute in opposing what's happening now, maybe this article helps:

With so much happening, how can we continue to support immigrants, Muslims, and refugees? Here are five steps you can take to support communities targeted by the Trump administration:

1. CALL YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS, INCLUDING THE PRESIDENT
 2. LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT’S AT STAKE
 3. RAISE AWARENESS OF HELPFUL PROGRAMS
 4. ACT LOCAL: JOIN GRASSROOTS EFFORTS AND INITIATIVES
 5. LASTLY, SIGN PETITIONS AND SHOW UP FOR RALLIES.

Details on these steps at the link: https://www.thenation.com/article/how-to-fight-trumps-racist-immigration-policies/

Trump's released schedule for today had him essentially taking the day off, so expect plenty of time for tweets if he feels like it.

Planting a seed in Trump's brain that maybe he's being used by Bannon would be... entertaining? Dangerous, but entertaining.

If he tweets during the movie screening I'ma fight him

Beartruck

K. Imma started callin him Bannon's lap dog.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Sorry, lets not shit the thread with hate mongers who are listed as anti-Muslim extremists by SPLC, even if they say something correct.
Maajid Nawaz being called an "anti-Muslim extremist" reflects badly on the SPLC, not him. And you, if you go along with that characterization. Want to call him a fraud or whatever? I disagree, but fine. Want to call him an anti-Muslim extremist? That's literally the same sort of scummy tactic used by those who say all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic. I expected better from you.

Skyzard

Banned
Born in Iraq, but living in the UK for 98% of my life, I'm banned from going to US?

Ah well. Canada was probably the smarter choice anyway.

Maajid Nawaz being called an "anti-Muslim extremist" reflects badly on the SPLC, not him. And you, if you go along with that characterization. Want to call him a fraud or whatever? I disagree, but fine. Want to call him an anti-Muslim extremist? That's literally the same sort of scummy tactic used by those who say all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic. I expected better from you.
He is an anti-Muslim extremist. A two-faced one at that. I dont need you to browbeat SPLC and other civil rights groups over what you think is right and wrong. Once he's done his nice publicity stunt, he will go back to sending secret lists to British government or whatever shit he likes doing.

Feorax

You have a point.
Congress went from doing everything to stop Obama to doing absolutely nothing to stop Trump.

Incredible that this is what has come from US democracy. Any sane nation wouldn't have republicans anywhere near a position of influence again for decades, such would be the toxicity of such actions. Unfortunately, much like here in the UK, it seems a large portion of the USA is anything but sane.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Media should start giving more spotlight to Banon, make it look he is the one in charge, I bet you anything this will just get Trump even more upset.
Man I wish our population rallied like South Korea when they found out their president was a puppet. Instead 45%, make excuses and praise his actions, most likely. I hate this Country now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom