• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poona

Found this being retweeted on twitter:

https://twitter.com/GovPenceIN/status/674249808610066433

t9uMq13.jpg

Wonder if he still feels the same....

broz0rs

I have to admit that seeing all the protestors at airports to show their support for detainees, seeing hundreds of lawyers offering pro-bono services, and law makers going to airports themselves to see detainees getting released. I haven't felt this good about our people since we all got together post-9/11.

RinsFury

I hope the next democratic President has what it takes to put every single person involved with this regime on trial for the crimes they have committed. No more "fresh starts" and letting bygones be bygones, these people need to see the inside of a prison cell.

Jokab

For someone not living in the U.S (and therefore not hearing much news in a non-political home) and being too young to look news up myself, was there anything under the Bush admin. that came close to some of the EOs Trump has signed just this week? Invasion of Iraq was probably not appreciated but then again it was under the guise of anti-terrorism because of 9/11, right?

Xando

It seems Merkel had to explain the Geneva convention and the refugee status to Trump in yesterdays phone call:
Merkel: the fight on terror 'does not justify placing people of a certain origin or belief under general suspicion'
Spiegel: Merkel explained to Trump that per Geneva Convention on Refugees signatories committed to take war refugees on humanitarian grounds
https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/825653798341337089
Original source
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deuts...lehnt-einreiseverbot-in-usa-ab-a-1132208.html (german)

Question, if an American citizen (born and raised) converted to Islam and was trying to fly into the US would they too be barred entry? Or if they came from one of the listed countries?

What a crazy night. So much love concentrated in one place. It was overwhelming.

Voting isn't enough. We have to get down in the trenches. We cannot allow for this administration to undermine our will. This is our country and we must stand up to tyranny.

WE THE PEOPLE

Booser

That's already been in place since last January. I'm an Irish citizen who visited Iran and was disqualified from ESTA. I had to get full 10 year tourist visa before I was allowed fly to the US. Even then I was detained in Philadelphia airport for questioning

The customs guy was cool about it though, just doing his job. When asked why I was in Iran I just said I like to travel. "Yeah but this is America, you're not supposed to have a life" was the reply.

I'm actually beginning to feel genuinely sorry and worried for Americans, especially those that didn't ask for this.

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone who's still up for a while, and wants to chat, please add me to Facebook.

Quote to reveal my profile link: ;-)

Edit: let me slightly rephrase that. I need to speak to someone.

Audioboxer

Maajid Nawaz thoughts

The LBC presenter said: "So the countries that Trump has decided to bar, suspend immigration from, are the following: Iraq, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen.

"Do you notice something? Notice what's missing? I'll repeat. 15 of the 911 attackers came from Saudi Arabia. One from Egypt, two from the UAE, one from Lebanon.

"How extreme is Trump's vetting if it covers none of those countries from which hailed the terrorists who were responsible for the worst attack on US shores?

More/Video @ http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...-vetting/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I'm incredibly disappointed that President Obama has remained silent

“If there are issues that have less to do with the specifics of some legislative proposal or battle, but go to core questions about our values and our ideals, and if I think that it’s necessary or helpful for me to defend those ideals, then I’ll examine it when it comes," he said during a news conference in Peru, amid his last foreign trip as president.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...h-back-on-donald-trump-if-needed-to-defend-u/

This is him in the summer of 2016

"Are we going to start treating all Muslim-Americans differently?" he said. "Are we going to start subjecting them to special surveillance? Are we going to start discriminate them, because of their faith? We heard these suggestions during the course of this campaign. Do Republican officials actually agree with this?"

Yes, Mr. President - they do. Why are you silent now?

BowieZ

Banned
I'm incredibly disappointed that President Obama has remained silent

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...h-back-on-donald-trump-if-needed-to-defend-u/

This is him in the summer of 2016

Yes, Mr. President - they do. Why are you silent now?
Not to defend it, but I'm pretty sure of the reason, and if I'm correct, it's reasonable.

Obama and some other more high-profile Dems are waiting just temporarily, to watch it play out naturally, to see how far the People can get on their own, and there's a fear that if they inject "leftist" politics into the situation, it will have the reverse intended effect.

jiiikoo

Banned
Not to defend it, but I'm pretty sure of the reason, and if I'm correct, it's reasonable.

Obama and some other more high-profile Dems are waiting for it to play out to see how far the People can get on their own, and there's a fear that if they inject "leftist" politics into the situation, it will have the reverse intended effect.

Obama is just waiting for the right time to swoop in on a bald eagle and save the US.

But you're right, they are waiting for the right time and Obama will not be silent about this. He can't. At least I hope he can't.

Septic360

Banned
That's already been in place since last January. I'm an Irish citizen who visited Iran and was disqualified from ESTA. I had to get full 10 year tourist visa before I was allowed fly to the US. Even then I was detained in Philadelphia airport for questioning

The customs guy was cool about it though, just doing his job. When asked why I was in Iran I just said I like to travel. "Yeah but this is America, you're not supposed to have a life" was the reply.

I'm actually beginning to feel genuinely sorry and worried for Americans, especially those that didn't ask for this.

Fucking hell. That's mad

Zen Aku

Obama is just biding his time. He's being smart about this whole situation. Unlike a certain manchild who write his every thought on Twitter.

All of this could have been avoided by voting for fucking Hillary. So many people knew what this guy was capable of and what he stood for. I remember how desperate I was for people to vote for Hillary because I knew how terrible it would become. I cannot believe this is happening and how it could have been prevented 3 months ago. Oh i'm sorry I forgot Hillary was a an awful candidate as you all say on NeoGaf. If she was awful, the fuck does that make Trump now? I dont remember the last Republican President that didnt go to war. Trump is a puppet and will get talked into going to war with someone for the power and money, things he is obsessed with. We are all fucked

carlsojo

Isn't Obama on vacation?

Holy fuck I wonder if Trump is going to try to block him from returning to the US over that fucking birth certificate thing.

BowieZ

Banned
All of this could have been avoided by voting for fucking Hillary. So many people knew what this guy was capable of and what he stood for. I remember how desperate I was for people to vote for Hillary because I knew how terrible it would become. I cannot believe this is happening and how it could have been prevented 3 months ago. Oh i'm sorry I forgot Hillary was a an awful candidate as you all say on NeoGaf.
There's time for looking back later.

There isn't time to look back now.

Don't be defeated.

Defeat.

Isn't Obama on vacation?

Holy fuck I wonder if Trump is going to try to block him from returning to the US over that fucking birth certificate thing.

That would probably be a great thing, because it would be such an overreach that it would damage their attempts to consolidate power.

BowieZ

Banned
A RedState headline described the protestors as a 'mob'. These people are too far gone, and with it I fear, a United States.
This is why we need to do whatever we can to unite as many as we can.

We can't win this fight through conventional political retaliation alone (although it's certainly important).

We need to find as many Republicans who have turned on Trump and exalt them.

Obama and some other more high-profile Dems are waiting just temporarily, to watch it play out naturally, to see how far the People can get on their own, and there's a fear that if they inject "leftist" politics into the situation, it will have the reverse intended effect.

Sadly true that sitting out for now leaves them off the board for the Trump cronies to mess with. I'm just imagining the Republican bubble instincts kicking in to do the opposite of whatever Mr. Obama says.

A RedState headline described the protestors as a 'mob'. These people are too far gone, and with it I fear, a United States.

Why are you surprised !
1, tell them not watch main stream media it's doesn't like us
2, do stuff that is rage inducing for non supporters
3. tell them libtards don't understand law and order, every protest is a mob, every scuffle is terrorism..
4, redefine the opposition as anti american
5, go to step 2

senahorse

Was reading something similar:

In the 40 years to 2015, not a single American was killed on US soil by citizens from any of the seven countries targeted - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen - according to research by the conservative-leaning Cato Institute.

But the same research shows that in the same period nearly 3000 Americans were killed by citizens of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Turkey — most victims of the September 11 attacks.

And oops, wouldn't you know it, Trump has multimillion-dollar business operations in all those countries.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...ich-he-has-business-ties-20170128-gu0ptl.html

I never realised having lived/worked in Libya I'm not eligible under the VWP

The chances of me ever visiting a country where I have to apply for a full visa for anything bar business are slim to none

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom