• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

If he says "chopping off heads" one more time I'm gonna be really sick of him saying "chopping off heads".

Apparently not a single Muslim has been murdered by ISIS. Not one.

Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GKL6i38pI&feature=youtu.be&t=3m7s

C3UO7LbWAAI0O5-.jpg

Rudy Giuliani says on Fox News that he along with some other reps drafted the EO.

It's frightening to hear him explain it. "At first he said he wanted a muslim ban, but then he called me up and asked how to do it legally"

That face in the YouTube preview pic. Haha man. Trollin, trollin, trollin.

I like how he basically admits it's "a legal way to do [the "Muslim ban"]"

This is like North Carolina trying to argue that their voter suppression of blacks was really just just voter suppression of Democrats. Legally speaking. Despite them using voting data to explicitly find out the most common ways blacks registered and cast ballots so they could circumvent them.

TyrantII

Incredible that this is what has come from US democracy. Any sane nation wouldn't have republicans anywhere near a position of influence again for decades, such would be the toxicity of such actions. Unfortunately, much like here in the UK, it seems a large portion of the USA is anything but sane.

The largest portion is apathetic, mostly due to trying to feed themselves and their family every day.

Please don't forget, this is happening with someone that got 25% of the eligible vote, and -3 million votes total. Most people don't want this.

mike6467

Why the fuck does being Christian matter you piece of shit. Quite tired of the prioritization of people over others due to biased opinions.

All lives should be equal.

He's not trying to get more people on his side, he's doubling down on the extremism. He doesn't want a large base, he wants a committed base of people willing to do whatever he says. Now he's trying to paint this as some kind of holy mandate.

We were already marching towards another dark age, why not throw in some pseudo-crusades while we're at it?

You know - I bet you Trump and Bannon are HOPING for a terrorist attack just so they can say I told You So.

I totally fucking believe they would feel vindication with such an attack occurring.

RoKKeR

You know - I bet you Trump and Bannon are HOPING for a terrorist attack just so they can say I told You So.

I totally fucking believe they would feel vindication with such an attack occurring.
As sickening as this is, I agree. It would "validate" what they are doing in there eyes and things would get real ugly real quickly.

I hope to hell it doesn't happen.

He's not trying to get more people on his side, he's doubling down on the extremism. He doesn't want a large base, he wants a committed base of people willing to do whatever he says. Now he's trying to paint this as some kind of holy mandate.

We were already marching towards another dark age, why not throw in some pseudo-crusades while we're at it?
I really want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I think we are fucked. Another war seems inevitable.

RDreamer

Jake Tapper @jaketapper
We asked the Trump WH to provide a guest to explain the order & clear up any confusion (even within its own govt).
They declined. #CNNSOTU

My friend doing a postdoc at MIT just got this letter from administration:

"To the members of the MIT community:

The Executive Order President Trump signed yesterday restricting individuals from seven countries from entering the United States is already having an impact on members of our community.

While we are very troubled by this situation, our first concern is for those of our international students and scholars who are directly affected. We are working closely with them to offer every support we can."

Harvard researchers prevented from joining labs or traveling for conferences, school attempting to provide support:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/1/29/harvard-affiliates-detained-immigration/

So, making enemies at and stifling two of the most prominent research organizations in the states, this couldn't possibly backfire.

ISIS is probably salivating at the thought of that. Why wouldn't they try to strike?

The "terrorist projection" hot takes need to go. These people don't care who is in the office of the presidency.

jiiikoo

Banned
My friend doing a postdoc at MIT just got this letter from administration:

Harvard researchers prevented from joining labs or traveling for conferences, school attempting to provide support:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/1/29/harvard-affiliates-detained-immigration/

So, making enemies at and stifling two of the most prominent research organizations in the states, this couldn't possibly backfire.

Same with the Aalto University in Helsinki Finland. A group of Doctoral Students have been advised of not going on the plane to NY.

Future

Crossposting:
ESzH8ZO.png

I feel like he's got a linguist telling him exactly what to say to enrage liberals while pleasing his base. I mean the construction of that sentence is perfect: the core of what he is saying is positive and defensible. But the insertion of christians will enrage liberals and atheists while getting more love from republicans and US religious. Then he follows up with intent to act, sparking fear with liberals as to what he might do and praise from republicans as he continues to look like he walks the walk

Ahasverus

It's disheartening to see America at a breaking point 7 days after a wicked man took the power. Democracy is a farce, this shouldn't be happening.

I feel like he's got a linguist telling him exactly what to say to enrage liberals while pleasing his base. I mean the construction of that sentence is perfect: the core of what he is saying is positive and defensible. But the insertion of christians will enrage liberals and atheists while getting more love from republicans and US religious. Then he follows up with intent to act, sparking fear with liberals as to what he might do and praise from republicans as he continues to look like he walks the walk
Oh there's no doubt on what he's trying to do. His base will eat that up.

It's disheartening to see America at a breaking point 7 days after a wicked man took the power. Democracy is a farce, this shouldn't be happening.

The most unfortunate thing is that the GOP (the only group that really has the power to do anything) doesn't have a breaking point. They don't want to lose their precious voters, even though this nation is on a freight train to dictatorship.

Even though it won't go anywhere, I'm starting to believe that Democrats should push for impeachment. A statement needs to be made.

RDreamer

Well, seems like the conservative talking point/defense of all this is "Obama did it in 2011!"

I've seen people already posting and defending on facebook and twitter plus the main conservative sites like Breitbart have put up the marching orders.

Boke1879

Well, seems like the conservative talking point/defense of all this is "Obama did it in 2011!"

I've seen people already posting and defending on facebook and twitter plus the main conservative sites like Breitbart have put up the marching orders.

I mean this is a common tactic. It's deflection. I don't care what they are saying. It shouldn't stop people from protesting and it won't

Kusagari

The most unfortunate thing is that the GOP (the only group that really has the power to do anything) doesn't have a breaking point. They don't want to lose their precious voters, even though this nation is on a freight train to dictatorship.

Even though it won't go anywhere, I'm starting to believe that Democrats should push for impeachment. A statement needs to be made.

Democrats have zero balls. If Obama did any of this shit a week in the GOP would be screaming impeachment.

The time for recourse and civility is over. Democrats should be going on television and pushing legislation, that won't go anywhere, that Trump needs to be removed from office.

What's amazing is that Trump & co. *could* have gotten away with the ban, but decided to go one step further with the green cards, dual citizenship, etc and now we're in this complete clusterfuck with the judiciary branch breathing down their necks.

dumb fucks. If you ain't a straight, rich, white man, Trump has nothing for you.

When you think you're one of the good ones but really:

nohomers.jpg

Where is that stupid POS that prided herself as a muslim immigrant that voted for Trump on national TV?

She was brought up earlier in the thread, she's a complete right wing truther. Her twitter has devolved into "But Saudi Arabia does ____, so Muslims still have it better over here."

Imagine selling everything so that your family can afford to go somewhere safe...and then being sent back because trump.
Imagine having nothing left at all and a burning hatred for the US, I wonder what happens to those people huh, maybe they join up with that thing obama founded

Fuck donald trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom