• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Framing this as a Muslim ban destroys a better opportunity to highlight how this is working against Jewish and Christian refugees coming here from places like Iran. Some of these people are non-religious as well.

Kettch

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama promised his family no politics for the vacation. Let the man get some rest before sending out the Bama signal.

https://twitter.com/mrkmully/status/825790512980451328

Outside the Super Bowl festivities in Houston right now

That's my city.
mjcry1.png

Framing this as a Muslim ban destroys a better opportunity to highlight how this is working against Jewish and Christian refugees coming here from places like Iran. Some of these people are non-religious as well.

Yeah, it really shows how they didn't put any thought into this at all beyond "BAN MUSLIMS".

Blizzard

Banned
Now wait a minute. This essentially amounts to the executive branch refusing to answer to the legislative branch of government, right?

Because that's fascism.
Yes, and there has already been instances of federal court orders ignored (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338848&page=10) so they're going against the judicial branch as well.

It might be one of the biggest tests of whether the American form of government can survive in a long time.

Jotaka

This is beautiful because it either strength the democratic institutions of your country or complete destroy and show the farce that it is.

Kusagari

I could understand why a CBP official wouldn't want to talk if they have still have no idea what the fuck is going on. If they're being ordered not to talk that's something different entirely.

Framing it as anything but a Muslim ban is to deny and give cover for the true intentions behind the EO.

RoKKeR

Just got an email from the university Chancellor about the EO. In line with what other universities have stated regarding the potential harm to faculty, students, researchers, and a hampered ability to recruit and sponsor talent from around the world.

I could understand why a CBP official wouldn't want to talk if they have still have no idea what the fuck is going on. If they're being ordered not to talk that's something different entirely.

It's been long enough time for the higher ups to clarify their points. It's just obstruction at this point

Do those bills have any chance of passing, though?

No way of passing, but Republicans have no choice to be silent on the matter anymore, as they have been the whole week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom