• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncytia

Do those bills have any chance of passing, though?

Well, at least the GOPers in the house would have to say something (at the very least be making a statement with their vote) on the whole ordeal. Honestly, every single elected member of the house and senate needs to release a statement on this bullshit. You can't just be silent when there is this must chaos and outrage; if you agree with Trump, fine, if you disagree, fine. Whatever your views, as an elected member of congress. release a fucking statement.

I don't get it. Is undermining one of the branches of government as simple as putting your fingers in your ears or pretending you're going through a tunnel?

Yes.

If no one enforces the rulings of the Judiciary but they continue to enforce the rulings of the Executive... it is that easy

Vena

Doesn't matter. Forces members of both Houses to speak and vote.

If they vote against this, they will draw ire from the people all over this country. If they vote for this, they will draw the ire of Trump/Bannon/Miller and further divide the legislature.

Are the CBP required to answer to congressmen? I think the ignoring of the stay order is the bigger deal.

I guess it depends on the circumstances. If they're just giving no comment because the situation is chaotic and unclear, then that's one thing. However, if this is the government explicitly ordering them to not talk to congressmen, then that's different. That's the executive actively taking steps to prevent the legislative from doing the kind of oversight of the government that it is supposed to do.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an email from the university Chancellor about the EO. In line with what other universities have stated regarding the potential harm to faculty, students, researchers, and a hampered ability to recruit and sponsor talent from around the world.
The support is so universal in some fields, I wonder if the US could actually get a general strike going.

Hey McCain finally said something.

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public...cain-graham-on-executive-order-on-immigration

Pretty weak but at least he is a little against this.

It's not even weak, it's fucking nothing. Hey, yeah I guess maybe they didn't talk to other people enough but ya know border security and stuff.

Sorry, I didn't read any sarcasm in that.

I'm not quite sure how that's possible when he ends with "fucking assholes".

I predict there is going to be a "terrorist attack" in the coming weeks or months.

Trump will then use this "attack" to prove that he was right all along and his supporters will use it as evidence to support their extreme beliefs.

Something similar occurred during the rise of the Nazi regime and the aftermath resulted in the press being gagged and protests being banned.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007657

First might. second one is reaching

The answer is no for both for a very simple reason.

The legislative calendar in each chamber is set by the majority leader. If Mitch McConnell refuses to set the legislation for discussion, it won't come up and will never come to the point of a vote in the Senate. In the House, there's at least a thing called a Discharge Petition which Representatives can use to force a bill to the floor of the House, but those are very rarely used and means you've got people in your caucus willing to tell their majority leader "Fuck you".

In order to get traction for either, you need Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. Which is why everyone's been trying to get them to talk about where they stand.

Zips

I predict there is going to be a "terrorist attack" in the coming weeks or months.

Trump will then use this "attack" to prove that he was right all along and his supporters will use it as evidence to support their extreme beliefs.

Something similar occurred during the rise of the Nazi regime and the aftermath resulted in the press being gagged and protests being banned.

The longer Trump and his ilk are left in power, the more time they have to come up with and implement ideas like that.

You guys need to get him out before then.

Doesn't matter. Forces members of both Houses to speak and vote.

If they vote against this, they will draw ire from the people all over this country. If they vote for this, they will draw the ire of Trump/Bannon/Miller and further divide the legislature.

What if there's no vote at all? Not sure about Senate procedures, but isn't it essentially down to the slimy turtle whether to bring a bill to the floor and actually vote on it or not?

Edit: question answered, two posts above. thx. Yup, the turtle is definitely going to brush these aside...

The answer is no for both for a very simple reason.

The legislative calendar in each chamber is set by the majority leader. If Mitch McConnell refuses to set the legislation for discussion, it won't come up and will never come to the point of a vote in the Senate. In the House, there's at least a thing called a Discharge Petition which Representatives can use to force a bill to the floor of the House, but those are very rarely used and means you've got people in your caucus willing to tell their majority leader "Fuck you".

In order to get traction for either, you need Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. Which is why everyone's been trying to get them to talk about where they stand.
Interesting. Well at least it forces Mitch in some way to actually take a side.

Honestly, with what I'm seeing and hearing from protestors, I don't think we'll buy that shit.

We're a post 9/11 generation. We know what that got us. I think we're beyond being intimidated by that at this point.

Ms.Galaxy

Well, if the GOP have any spines, yes. Even if Trump vetos it, it can pass if the majority of Congress says yes.

They're force to take a side here, you are either with the people and what America stands for, or you're going down with the fascist. If that's case, they can say goodbye to their seat in 2018. The worse is yet to come and when it does the entire nation is going to feel it, and the GOP have no democrats in power to blame.

That won't save you, President Citrus. It takes awhile to get through the process and even when done, you're going to fill a seat that was previously taken by a seriously deep conservative. You're just making the Supreme Court be the way it was during Obama's time. I expecting a 5-4 vote saying what you did was unconstitutional.

Izayoi

Banned
The longer Trump and his ilk are left in power, the more time they have to come up with and implement ideas like that.

Not going to happen. The majority in Congress belongs to racist yesmen lining up to lick Trump's foot, there is no chance he doesn't stay for at least an entire term.

This. I was thinking the same. We must be really prepared and focused about this.

WedgeX

Banned
From the steps of the Capitol.

Zec46MS.jpg

TheMan

That would be extremely difficult. As much as the current situation sucks, this is pretty much what he promised to do while he was campaigning, and there were enough voting americans who approved of this that he was able to win the election. Not to mention, the GOP won a bunch of downballot races as well.

America is getting what America asked for.

Honestly, the only thing that would work is if solid, verifiable evidence of collusion with Russia to rig the election was to be unearthed. Even then, the stars would have to align for anything to come of it.

kevin1025

Banned
Eh I'm not worried about the SCOTUS pick. It was going to happen regardless this week. He just moved up the timetable.

But like with everything Trump, news organizations will shift their focus to that and the ban may only get third or fourth story of the day rather than wall-to-wall coverage.

Trying to distract from he Muslim ban no doubt

At first I didn't believe he was trying to hide bad news with bad news, and then I started believing it was exactly what he is doing. But now I don't know if it helps him anymore.

Also less of "smokescreens" and more along the lines of "people naturally can not focus on too many issues at once."

But he is using so much of the little political capital he has I don't know if him picking a terrible pick will only fuel more people.

Well, they already told the press to just shut up and want to higher penalties for protests, so there's that.

Boke1879

But like with everything Trump, news organizations will shift their focus to that and the ban may only get third or fourth story of the day rather than wall-to-wall coverage.

This is already worldwide news. Of course a SCOTUS pick will get attention here, but it's not like people are just going to stop fighting this just because he announced a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom