• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

XU37UNT.png

https://twitter.com/DamonSilvers/status/825828372307644416

Prologue

Should just have the governor send in the cops and get the people out. Not listening to the courts, what else is there to do? Send in more paper work?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile at Baltimore Washington International Airport:

Representatives John Sarbanes and Elijah Cummings are at the protests there. Former governor Martin O'Malley is there as well. People were chanting "where have you been?" after Cummings spoke.

No word from current (republican) governor Larry Hogan about this crisis yet.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Okay so people are being disappeared to makeshift black sites and we may not have a full list of who was being detained, as evidenced by lawyers trying to get names in order to file for interventions.

I think there is now legitimate concern that people could be held secretly for days or weeks before someone figures out where they went.

Rayis

If they're treating US legal residents and citizens like this, I don't want to imagine what they would do to the undocumented immigrants, I don't even want to think about it. Very scary.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think we need some more confirmation about people being moved out of Dulles airport before escalating this. It's way too serious if this is the case.

From the stay order itself:

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that to assure compliance with the Court's order, the

Court directs service of this Order upon the United States Marshal for the Eastern District of

New York, and further directs the United States Marshals Service to take those actions deemed

necessary to enforce the provisions and prohibitions set forth in this Order.
(Vox: Read: Full text of the new stay halting deportations under Trump's immigration order)

Wouldn't this mean the bat-signal was already lit yesterday?

Edit: So I guess this is only NY? But the stay applies nationally?

Vena

From the stay order itself:
(Vox: Read: Full text of the new stay halting deportations under Trump's immigration order)

Wouldn't this mean the bat-signal was already lit yesterday?

Yes, but Marshals won't move unless it is utmost required as they would, effectively, be there to arrest. It is common (and good) practice to allow your order to first be given a chance to be carried out before you automatically send out the Marshals.

But this is only for NY Marshals.

watershed

Banned
If people who have a legal right to entering the US are being sent off to detention centers then this whole crisis is going to to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom