• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C3XvwdZXAAEuO1Y.jpg:small

🤢

He can kiss his seat good bye

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
There should be massive sick-outs tomorrow. People who can should skip work to protest. Keep up the pressure.

We should also let trump voters who have realized their horrific error work to help mitigate the damage they've caused. If they're sincere in being contrite, if they've woken up even a little, we must let them try to do the right thing. I have a friend or two like this, and as hard as it is not to scream at them for only NOW realizing it... better late than never.

RDreamer

I don't get it either. It can't be just because they don't want to piss of Trump's base(which really isn't that big), they can still get their policy they want with Pence. I don't see why they desire Trump so much.

Because he's a patsy. They're salivating at the ability to dump everything they've ever dreamed of accomplishing onto him as quickly as possible. Then when/if anything happens to him they can act surprised and indignant, get on the impeach train and remove him... but keep nearly everything he's done. Pence or whoever gets to be president, and maybe they roll back one or two things, but the vast majority of the shit they ram through just stays. They win.

I don't get it either. It can't be just because they don't want to piss of Trump's base(which really isn't that big), they can still get their policy they want with Pence. I don't see why they desire Trump so much.

Impeachment should only be used if an official is guilty of specific, serious crimes. That's why the GOP trying to impeach Clinton over perjury in a sex scandal was such a joke. If Trump (not Bannon, only Trump) actually told Homeland Security not to enforce a judge's order that could be grounds for impeachment but nothing else here is.

I don't get why they keep acting as though people coming to the US don't go through rigorous checks already. How many more ways can you verify something?
I agree that there's certainly vigorous checks going on, but I could also at least acquiesce to a discussion about possible changes to the system. The thing that I don't understand is how anyone with a modicum of intelligence can defend a hastily crafted and poorly worded Executive Order over an actual policy analysis.

I don't get why they keep acting as though people coming to the US don't go through rigorous checks already. How many more ways can you verify something?

Because the background checks are not rigorous at all. That's exactly the issue at hand. Verifying who someone is before they gain access into the country.

Japan has some of the strictest immigration policies on the planet yet I don't see them getting trashed by anyone.

Did you not see my post? Or are you just going to ignore it since it refutes your belief that the "Muslim ban" is solely based around "media outcry?"

Come on man, I was even being respectful in it.
Hey I'm sorry about that...I legit did not see it. It was the last post on the last page and I missed it. Replying now...

Flynn Jr. and David Duke called it a Muslim ban, so it's not just the media calling it that.

Oh, yeah. Giuliani called it that too. And claimed he worked it on.
The opinion of human excrement like David Duke doesn't matter. Reminds me of the outcry over the KKK endorsing Trump during the election... why does it matter? They're a almost totally irrelevant group and are pure evil. What if ISIS endorsed him? It doesn't matter...it's like taking batshit crazy YouTube and Twitter comments and making them out to be more signicant than the pebble on the road that they are.

Giulliani is a dumbass. I don't have a response to that one. I can't stand the guy and his voice irks me. I'm glad he got turned down for sec of state.

Pure creamy horseshit and I'm genuinely sorry if you believe this garbage.

If it takes months to put together a strong vetting immigration policy then take months to put together a strong vetting and immigration policy. None of the 7 countries on the banned list were a danger to anyone. There was no need for this. There was no need for Trump to get anything done this fast. He's accomplished nothing other than tearing his own country apart.
And I agree with you...as I said it was a bad decision to hastily put it together because it made innocent people into guinea pigs and collateral damage. I don't agree with everything he does...I'm not a mindless sheep. That was a mistake, like I said.

Because the background checks are not rigorous at all. That's exactly the issue at hand. Verifying who someone is before they gain access into the country.

Japan has some of the strictest immigration policies on the planet yet I don't see them getting trashed by anyone.
How many citizens of these countries have killed Americans here?

How many toddlers have killed Americans here?

Boke1879

That's straight up BS. The process isn't easy at all and you know it.

Even still why the hell were people with green cards, and visas detained and not allowed in? Admit the EO was a cluster fuck and made no sense.

If that were the issue then Trump wouldn't have also gone after green card holders. People who are here legally and contributing to society. As Giuliani said, this is about finding a legal pretext to target Muslims

RDreamer

The defense that there are tons of muslim countries that aren't on this list doesn't hold up for me. After this sort of ban you really think anyone in any muslim majority country isn't going to think twice about trying to come here? And I'm not talking about for nefarious reasons, either. I'm talking about the best and brightest in the world. If they're muslim why the fuck would they go here if their very way of life could be interrupted at the drop of a hat. So yeah maybe it doesn't ban all muslims but the message is there that we don't want them and we can boot them out or cause them extreme distress at any point.

Receipts. Show 'em.

Naudi

Banned
It's not normal in the slightest. At least not if you're white.

It is legal to search possessions, but it is not normal to search a phone or computer unless a crime is suspected.

It happens all the time on the borderline show though. All countries that show has does it I believe.

Boke1879

Hey I'm sorry about that...I legit did not see it. It was the last post on the last page and I missed it. Replying now...

The opinion of human excrement like David Duke doesn't matter. Reminds me of the outcry over the KKK endorsing Trump during the election... why does it matter? They're a almost totally irrelevant group and are pure evil. What if ISIS endorsed him? It doesn't matter...it's like taking batshit crazy YouTube and Twitter comments and making them out to be more signicant than the pebble on the road that they are.

Giulliani is a dumbass. I don't have a response to that one. I can't stand the guy and his voice irks me. I'm glad he got turned down for sec of state.

And I agree with you...as I said it was a bad decision to hastily put it together because it made innocent people into guinea pigs and collateral damage. I don't agree with everything he does...I'm not a mindless sheep. That was a mistake, like I said.

So if Guilliani is a dumbass what does that make Trump? Since Rudy claims that Trump asked him how he could a Muslim Ban legally?

Obama did a similar policy back in 2011?
After letting in some bombmakers from Iraq, who were previously detained and fingerprinted, into the Iraq refugee program, the State department put a hold on accepting more refugees from Iraq for six months to overhaul the process and check past refugees against their database of "bad guys".

It was tragic too, as some refugees who assisted the Coalition that were held back ended up murdered in Iraq while waiting for the program to start up again.

Its a valid thing to bring up imho, though it was not nearly as broad or as sweeping or straight up biased in terms of religion an order as what we're seeing under Trump right now, nor was there chaos and confusion in its implementation.

watershed

Banned

You should know what you're talking about before you talk about how rigorous background checks are.
http://time.com/4116619/syrian-refugees-screening-process/
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states
The proof is in the pudding: only 2 people out of 750,000 resettled refugees have been charged with having connections to terrorist organizations.

brau

You should know what you're talking about before you talk about how rigorous background checks are.
http://time.com/4116619/syrian-refugees-screening-process/
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states
The proof is in the pudding: only 2 people out of 750,000 resettled refugees have been charged with having connections to terrorist organizations.

Thank you, i was just about to point to this. Some people just have no idea how crazy immigration already is in the US.

Syriel

Obama did a similar policy back in 2011?

No. It wasn't similar at all. Temp stopping new visas is not the same as banning permanent residents who live in the US.

2+ years of vetting before admission is "not rigorous?"

What do you think is done over the course of multiple years?

faisal233

No. It wasn't similar at all. Temp stopping new visas is not the same as banning permanent residents who live in the US.

2+ years of vetting before admission is "not rigorous?"

What do you think is done over the course of multiple years?

Not as rigorous as a ban.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
C3XvwdZXAAEuO1Y.jpg:small

��

Why are they acting like the order concerns only refugees when it concerns everybody from the respective countries including people who are no longer citizens of those countries and people who are just visiting US.

Why is US acting like they are Germany who have received hundred of thousands of refugees and can't process them properly? US have received a ridiculous low amount of refugees. WTF?

Syriel

It happens all the time on the borderline show though. All countries that show has does it I believe.

The show is probably cherry picking.

Because honestly, a typical customs process, both in and out of the US, is usually:

1) Present passport.
2) Why are you here?
3) Do you have anything to declare?
4) Go on thru.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

Pattently fucking false! It took more than a year to get my spouse a green card in the US as a Japanese citizen as a daycare teacher after we were already married. USCIS is a nightmare to deal with! Her grandmother (pretty much her mother) died but her request to get a pass to go to her funeral in Japan was denied. We spent thousands and still will have to apply to remove conditions in 2 years. Me applying for Japan? Two months for a certificate of authorization and I'm pretty much good.

All of this and we are significantly more investigative and strict on suspicious countries. I've seen translators that assisted us in Afghanistan, allies who fought with us, get denied. You seem to have no idea how our screening is compared to others. Not including a miniscule immigration limit.

Countries are taking millions while we take 70k? Absurd.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The immigration process is both very long and expensive for anyone wishing to come here. Much more so if you are a refugee or come from any of the countries in question. My wife's process took over a year and cost us thousands of dollars. We had multiple interviews and background checks that we had to go through. And she is Japanese, I cant imagine how much harder it would have been if she were coming from a middle eastern country.

Naudi

Banned
The show is probably cherry picking.

Because honestly, a typical customs process, both in and out of the US, is usually:

1) Present passport.
2) Why are you here?
3) Do you have anything to declare?
4) Go on thru.

Well yeah of course. It was always people coming from certain places or people that had unusual flight patterns. Just saying it's nothing new. And lots of countries do it. I'm not arguing for the ban though lol. I think it's terrible and it really is hurting America greatly. Fox news fear mongering paying off.

witness

I work in immigration and get highly qualified healthcare professionals into this country, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The immigration process is both very long and expensive for anyone wishing to come here. Much more so if you are a refugee or come from any of the countries in question. My wife's process took over a year and cost us thousands of dollars. We had multiple interviews and background checks that we had to go through. And she is Japanese, I cant imagine how much harder it would have been if she were coming from a middle eastern country.

A-fucking-men. Sorry, but that stuff just got my blood boiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom