• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're being held until the individuals can have a hearing in front of an immigration judge to determine admissibility and/or removability either under the INA or CAT. We already have (too many) immigration detention centers which house people in the process of having their hearings. This is unsurprising.

C3YBO8sWYAAf4ap

RK128

Saw this linked on another forum

Holy cow

So the US is having camps now for the detained? Great....just great. It's not like we did morally fucked up actions like this in the past. Nope, we never did something like that before.

This needs to stop. If people are really getting shipped off, then something needs to be done. Fast.

Edit: I made a mistake and didn't realize detainment locations are nothing new. I'm sorry for overacting everyone. Just upset with how things are turning out.

Yes, but Marshals won't move unless it is utmost required as they would, effectively, be there to arrest. It is common (and good) practice to allow your order to first be given a chance to be carried out before you automatically send out the Marshals.

But this is only for NY Marshals.

Wouldn't the use of Marshals in NY allow the use of them in VA?

Not sure about the terminology of "black site" being used here.

Are they going to existing immigration detention centers? Or someplace else?

Would like some confirmation and more details on this.

Boke1879

Not sure about the terminology of "black site" being used here.

Are they going to existing immigration detention centers? Or someplace else?

Would like some confirmation and more details on this.

It would be nice but the CSB refuse to talk to congress people or lawyers. There's no communication

So the US is having camps now for the detained? Great....just great. It's not like we did morally fucked up actions like this in the past. Nope, we never did something like that before.

This needs to stop. If people are really getting shipped off, then something needs to be done. Fast.
Detention centers for immigrants are nothing new. Every country has them, since you need some place to hold people whose legal status in the country is not settled, before deportation or letting them in.

The problem here is, they seemingly want to sent US citizens there, and other people in defiance of a federal court order.

This would be on a state by state basis I believe. The court order is specifically for NY.
Federal court rulings apply to the whole country, right?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is almost like that movie The Siege.

Surreal times we are in right now.

RK128

Detention centers for immigrants are nothing new. Every country has them, since you need some place to hold people whose legal status in the country is not settled, before deportation or letting them in.

The problem here is, they seemingly want to sent US citizens there, and other people in defiance of a federal court order.

Sorry for overrating in that case. Just horrible see things get worse and worse.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what this means.

Permanent Residence holders (Green card folks. Not sure if it includes dual-citizens, it should though). Their entry is of national interest.

I guess the final sentence is saying their permanent residence status is the default as they are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

So I don't think it guarantees that they are not detained and questioned. Just that they won't be deported until they have been questioned.

Sorry for overrating in that case. Just horrible see things get worse and worse.
It's still a horrible thing, since these people shouldn't be sent there in the first place. Plus they have had no contact with lawyers, so there might be people sent there that have no representation and are basically unknown and without help. If the reports are true.

Kickz

I just watched Children of Men for the first time today and its crazy how relevant it kind of is to current events.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Pierre Omidyar ‏@pierre

President Clinton was impeached for obstructing justice. President Trump is obstructing a judicial order, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom