• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Pierre Omidyar ‏@pierre

President Clinton was impeached for obstructing justice. President Trump is obstructing a judicial order, right now.

Do Dems have the balls to prosecute? That's the question.

Simplet

C3YBO8sWYAAf4ap

There are literally different government agencies contradicting and apparently trying to overpower one another, this is complete chaos.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For those under suspicion as threats to national security? Absolutely. Hell, that probably extends to citizens as well.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that a different thing? Like there is already a warrant and the people are already suspects in a case? So it's more about arresting and sending to trial than denying entry?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The immigration process is both very long and expensive for anyone wishing to come here. Much more so if you are a refugee or come from any of the countries in question. My wife's process took over a year and cost us thousands of dollars. We had multiple interviews and background checks that we had to go through. And she is Japanese, I cant imagine how much harder it would have been if she were coming from a middle eastern country.

My now Wife and I went through similar and agree. It's really not an 'easy' process. Lots of documents, exams, money, interviews, etc. It took us months and like your wife, my wife also isn't from any of the now banned nations. Heck when we went into our interview we saw plenty of people turned away, people who'd gone through the entire process up to the interview, just to be turned away at the final step with near zero chance to appeal.

The immigration process has never been easy, quick, or inattentive. They're extremely thorough in this stuff to the point where more people deserving of visas are turned away than the number of bad apples who do somehow manage to get through.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that a different thing? Like there is already a warrant and the people are already suspects in a case? So it's more about arresting and sending to trial than denying entry?

Not necessarily, you are a citizen, you are automatically a permanent resident (and more).
If they could, they could say this whole statement applies to citizens.

They'd obviously have to draft a new paper, but permanent residents are basically almost citizens, without the right to vote.

Not necessarily, you are a citizen, you are automatically a permanent resident.
If they could, they could say this whole statement applies to citizens.

Citizenship and LPR status are two different and distinct things. Citizenship does not mean you are an LPR at all and DHS could in no way say that, under law, the EO applies to citizens.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

devilhawk

I was replying to the post about customs agents being above the law. I simply meant that they already can detain and question people upon entry when they deem necessary.

That latest thing sounds like a threat from the Trump administration to Congressional Republicans. That if he's going down, he'll make sure to try to take some of them with him.

I dunno if posted yet but George Takei started a petition in support of Muslims

When I was just 5, my family was rounded up at gunpoint and forced from our home in Los Angeles into an internment camp. We were prisoners in our own country, held within barbed wire compounds, armed guards pointing guns down at us. It was an egregious violation of our rights under the U.S. Constitution, all in the name of "security." During that time, fear and racism drove government policy, creating a living hell for over 120,000 innocent Japanese Americans, most of whom were U.S. citizens.

I have spent my life trying to ensure something like this never happens again. But dark clouds once more are gathering. A Trump spokesperson recently stated the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II "sets a precedent" for Trump to do the same today. And Trump continues to stand by his plans to establish a Muslim registry and ban immigrants from ”certain" Muslim countries from the U.S. It starts with a registry, with restrictions, with irrationally ascribed guilt, and with fear. But we know well where it might lead.

National security must never again be permitted to justify wholesale denial of constitutional rights and protections. If it is freedom and our way of life that we fight for, our first obligation is to ensure that our own government adheres to those principles. Without that, we are no better than our enemies.

Please sign this petition to let the Muslim community know you support them and oppose any policy targeting them based on their religion or national origin. Help send a message to Trump and his ilk that this will never again happen in America.

Sorry there's a lot of threads and I don't know whats going on where anymore

I think someone posted this a couple of days ago.

Ah thank you. I suppose this is at least a little bit more visibility

ZOONAMI

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that a different thing? Like there is a warrant and the people are already suspects in a case? So it's more about arresting and sending to trial than denying entry?

Well I do think there are provisions for cbp to hold people if they have reasonable cause, whatever that may be.

The issue here is that anyone coming from these 7 countries even if you are a dual citizen/green card holder/visa holder they are being discriminated against by national origin.

There are being pulled aside and and unfairly scrutinized.

I hope courts are going to shut this down all together, but it's looking like it's going to need to be definitively shut down for the CBP to not just go along with this fascist administration.

We are basically trending into a complete constitutional crisis with federal agencies only listening to the executive. Trump is over reaching. Marshals or local police are going to have shut this shit down potentially if this is what is happening.

WedgeX

Banned
The beginnings of the crowd in DC.

15 minutes later.

Good signs.

The best of all signs I saw.

When the march spontaneously started.

Down 15th.

On Pennsylvania.

In front of Trump Hotel.

Toward the Capitol.

Looking up Capitol Hill from 4th Street.

Looking back down Pennsylvania from 1st Street.

The steps of the Capitol from the Senate side.
Cap v. Trump.

My now Wife and I went through similar and agree. It's really not an 'easy' process. Lots of documents, exams, money, interviews, etc. It took us months and like your wife, my wife also isn't from any of the now banned nations. Heck when we went into our interview we saw plenty of people turned away, people who'd gone through the entire process up to the interview, just to be turned away at the final step with near zero chance to appeal.

The immigration process has never been easy, quick, or inattentive. They're extremely thorough in this stuff to the point where more people deserving of visas are turned away than the number of bad apples who do somehow manage to get through.

I know! My husband and I went through the same thing when he immigrated from Canada. Our lawyer said our case was easy because it's just Canada, but it was still a ton of paperwork, document collecting, medical exams, background checks, an interview, etc. Not to mention the money (couple of thousands of dollars all said and done) and technically the process isn't over yet (we have another interview in 2 years) and then actual citizenship tests further down the line. The people who say this stuff is easy have no clue what they're talking about.

15 minutes later.

Good signs.

Down 15th.

On Pennsylvania.

In front of Trump Hotel.

Toward the Capitol.

Cap v. Trump.
Love this.

15 minutes later.

Good signs.

Down 15th.

On Pennsylvania.

In front of Trump Hotel.

Toward the Capitol.

Cap v. Trump.

Thank you for fighting!

https://twitter.com/meaganmday/status/825591769475620864

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom