• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beginnings of the crowd in DC.

15 minutes later.

Good signs.

The best of all signs I saw.

When the march spontaneously started.

Down 15th.

On Pennsylvania.

In front of Trump Hotel.

Toward the Capitol.

Looking up Capitol Hill from 4th Street.

Looking back down Pennsylvania from 1st Street.

The steps of the Capitol from the Senate side.

Cap v. Trump.

I miss home..😔

AmyS

Protests at Chicago's O'Hare airport.

AFGeBl9.jpg

The Mayor also just spoke.

sphinx

the piano man
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The immigration process is both very long and expensive for anyone wishing to come here. Much more so if you are a refugee or come from any of the countries in question. My wife's process took over a year and cost us thousands of dollars. We had multiple interviews and background checks that we had to go through. And she is Japanese, I cant imagine how much harder it would have been if she were coming from a middle eastern country.

My now Wife and I went through similar and agree. It's really not an 'easy' process. Lots of documents, exams, money, interviews, etc. It took us months and like your wife, my wife also isn't from any of the now banned nations. Heck when we went into our interview we saw plenty of people turned away, people who'd gone through the entire process up to the interview, just to be turned away at the final step with near zero chance to appeal.

The immigration process has never been easy, quick, or inattentive. They're extremely thorough in this stuff to the point where more people deserving of visas are turned away than the number of bad apples who do somehow manage to get through.

wait a second.....you mean you go through burocratic hell with a legal partner, like a husband or wife?? what the hell is there to prove other than the marrying certificate ? it's ridiculous.

I didn't know it was that hard in the USA

"How about all of the countries with Trump's business and also remove those that have had no terrorists in US soil?"

wait a second.....you mean you go through burocratic hell with a legal partner, like a husband or wife?? what the hell is there to prove other than the marrying certificate ? it's ridiculous.

Immigration services in the US are known for being super tough

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Matt McDermott ‏@mattmfm

So, recap of WH explanations...
Spicer: imminent threat
Conway: only 1% of travelers
Priebus: no apology
Giuliani: actually is a Muslim ban

Its a much more difficult process than most people think and unfortunately that lack of knowledge works in the favor of people like Trump and Bannon.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kate Hess ‏@kate_hess

If the refugee ban is this confusing & terribly executed imagine how it's gonna go when millions lose their healthcare.

Sarye

Yep.. and marriage is the "easiest" of the path to residency/citizenship.

Pau

You have to prove that you didn't get married specifically for the green card.

Ryuuroden

Unfortunately, a lot of gun owners are probably Trump-minded. Not all, of course, but perhaps too many.

Less and less are, myself and other liberals I know in my area have been buying guns since the election for defense. I was already a hobbyist in riflery, but until now I had refused to actually own my own gun for moral reasons.

Woorloog

Banned
Less and less are, myself and other liberals I know in my area have been buying guns since the election for defense. I was already a hobbyist in riflery, but until now I had refused to actually own my own gun for moral reasons.

Ah, right i remember that thread now.

Still, i do wonder...

Of course, if things get to that point, there will be no winners.

FStubbs

I used to think that the American obsession with guns was madness, but Trump is providing a convincing counter argument

The problem is the people obsessed with guns and armed to the teeth are pro-Trump. That's why the calls to violence are silly. Conservatives would have liberals dead by the thousands within a day.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Why is nobody doing anything about this? No further court ruling, no statement from the ACLU, no marshals, no nothing. Why can they get away with disobeying a court order?

You have to prove that you're in a legitimate relationship and not just a tool to get that person a green card, that you're financially able to support a spouse (they can't work for a period of time until they get permission), that neither of you have committed felonies, etc.

I know! My husband and I went through the same thing when he immigrated from Canada. Our lawyer said our case was easy because it's just Canada, but it was still a ton of paperwork, document collecting, medical exams, background checks, an interview, etc. Not to mention the money (couple of thousands of dollars all said and done) and technically the process isn't over yet (we have another interview in 2 years) and then actual citizenship tests further down the line. The people who say this stuff is easy have no clue what they're talking about.

Yeah my wife is on her conditional 2 year green card too. I've heard that lifting conditions is actually fairly by the book, but yeah, it's just another lengthy step in an already lengthy, involved, complicated, and stressful process and anyone who says otherwise is full of crap.

Kusagari

nDhjZ1q.png

Canada's "so-called Trump" came out against Trump's Muslim-Ban

Even our Capitlists in Canada are against Trumpian E-Os

O'Leary is basically two different endpoints at their extremes. He's extremely socially liberal and also about as far to the right as you can get on economics.

rokkerkory

Why is nobody doing anything about this? No further court ruling, no statement from the ACLU, no marshals, no nothing. Why can they get away with disobeying a court order?

ACLU on cnn said lawsuits and injunctions are what they are focused on right now. They need the public to keep the pressure on.

Boke1879

People wondering why "nothing" is being done about this. It's most likely because no one truly knows what the hell is going on.

There is a severe lack of communication.

In my case, my Wife was originally just my Fiance. We applied for the Fiance Visa, which is similar to the Spouse Visa, but requires significantly more vetting since we weren't married yet. She was also from India, a country known for high fraud concerning Fiance Visa, so the process is exceedingly strict. We watched three or four different couples get rejected while we waited for our interview, and we were only there for a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom