• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a tangential aside on government websites, why does the SCOTUS website look like garbage? It's actually embarrassingly bad. At least it appears to be regularly updated...
Will they do anything?
dSGbq0i.png
Huh, so both sides were kind of telling the truth? The Trump Admin went to them to show a draft, but then blindsided them with something totally different in the end? That's interesting if true.

antonz

The Syrian refugee ban is indefinite by the way, not "temporary" and I'm sure any others will essentially follow suit.

Even the Temporary ones are setup for if the country in question does not meet terms set by Trump then the ban is extended. He knows what he is trying to do.

See they wont meet us in our requests so bad people!

Maybe, but why that specific one when the other two are there? It's quite odd.

Also, check archive.org. Note that the executive page is exactly the same, at least the top half of the page, and yet the judicial one is entirely removed. They could have simply copied the other one instead of picking one specific one to delete.
I mean, my assumption would be that they forgot and that it's an oversight. I don't really buy it being something nefarious, but I suppose it's possible.

Averon

The GOP knew they was playing with fire getting into bed with people like Bannon. They shouldn't be shocked with the way things are turning out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The whole "protestors don't have jobs/need to shut up and find work" line of thought is so troubling. It's such a good way for the ruling class to control people. Make the middle class vanish, and keep the poor working class from ever rising up by demonizing them ever taking time to address political issues they care about.

I wonder if that shit was being thrown around back during the Boston Tea Party.

Well, the popularity of that narrative is partly based around conservatives cultivating the image of themselves as the representatives of material success, superior work ethic, and lack of weakness. Therefore if you're not with them, you must be a lazy and poor person of weak character who is bitter and jealous of your betters.

Based on experience at least some of it is projection of their own cowardice. The long-suffering middle manager who would love to tell his bosses to shove off and talks big out of work like a conservative blowhard. It has been said that everyone who yells "get a job, hippy" is at some level pissed that the hippie doesn't have to put up with all the bullshit they do in order to maintain their position in the mainstream hierarchy.

Blizzard

Banned
Wasn't there when I went 10 minutes ago. Probably a hic-up in the site. Still kinda a bad omen.
No, it's been gone since the Trump administration put up their own website. They kept the same executive branch page as Obama, but deleted the judicial one.

Steel

Banned
No, it's been gone since the Trump administration put up their own website. They kept the same executive branch page as Obama, but deleted the judicial one.

Oh, you know I thought that Mimic had gone back to the live page and found the judicial branch not the archive. My bad.

The constitution is next to go. Hold onto your butts

This is my fear. I'm seeing all that rhetoric from Trumpies today about how the ban is "common sense for keeping Americans safe." used as justification for arresting judges this week. "They are blocking an order and putting Americans lives at risk!"

Trump and the right wing already have a history of attacking judges. Plus the White House website removing the judicial branch page is spooky. Hopefully it's nothing and just another sign that this is amateur hour.

watershed

Banned
Anyone favoring this EO is just dumb for believing in simple, alternative solutions to complex problems. This EO does not help keep the country safe. (Period!)

Am_I_Evil

wait a second.....you mean you go through burocratic hell with a legal partner, like a husband or wife?? what the hell is there to prove other than the marrying certificate ? it's ridiculous.

I didn't know it was that hard in the USA

I pretty much just finished with this...wife from Hong Kong...married last Feb...started the immigration process in Nov. 2014 and she wasn't approved to enter until Dec 2015...just got her residence card on Christmas Eve 2016...

Not a fast easy process by any means...

Edit: and that's a provisional card that only last for 2 years....we have to keep track of basically everything for the next 2 years and then prove that we're still married and stuff and that we've lived a "normal" life in those 2 years

JohnsonUT

Anyone favoring this EO is just dumb for believing in simple, alternative solutions to complex problems. This EO does not help keep the country safe. (Period!)

I have been telling my friends and family for weeks that Donald Trump is the perfect candidate for those that think complex problems can have simple solutions.

Is there any significance to all the flowers being yellow?
Yeah, like Tragicomedy said, I would guess it has to do with the availability of yellow/gold flowers around there with that being a school color. I don't know if they had a bigger reason for it other than that, but that's what they requested people bring on the Facebook event. It's certainly an appropriately bright, cheery and welcoming color.

Yeah, like Tragicomedy said, I would guess it has to do with the availability of yellow/gold flowers around there with that being a school color. I don't know if they had a bigger reason for it other than that, but that's what they requested people bring on the Facebook event. It's certainly an appropriately bright, cheery and welcoming color.

Yellow flower do signify friendship. So maybe some of that?

watershed

Banned
I have been telling my friends and family for weeks that Donald Trump is the perfect candidate for those that think complex problems can have simple solutions.

Sadly that is a part of why people voted for him. He offered loud, angry, simple "solutions" to complex problems.

Jedi2016

I wonder if the change to the whitehouse.gov website has something to do with his "surprise nomination" for the Supreme Court tomorrow... which will end up being an executive order to disband the Judicial Branch.

But all this shit about detaining and deporting people... it's just one small step from rounding up the ones that are already here and throwing them in camps.

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, I'm done with my brother in law on Facebook. I reshared Trudeau post about Canada accepting refugees. He felt obliged to let me know Canada is a shit nation that want "refugee" and the US needs wall on the northern border now. I have enough. Unfriended this dude, tolerated his nonsense for years out of consideration for my sister and her daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom