• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_id

I was proud to protest today at Raleigh-Durham International with my wife and kids. The protest organizers only expected 150 protesters but over 1,000 showed up! Here are some pics:
Inspiring. Your children will grow up to care for their country.

PUpQytl.png

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/825909921493422081

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/us/politics/donald-trump-rush-immigration-order-chaos.html

That's called getting shit done in a timely fashion. It's just so overwhelming!

Bannon's persistent, not well-thought out evil knows no bound it seems.

This emphasis on saving Christian refugees over other refugees is a problem as well.
"there are christians getting killed in the middle east"
sounds a LOT like "there are good germans in Austria/Poland/... getting killed we're invading to save them".

ISIS is going to say ok, we'll step up persecution of christians in the middle east because that will draw the US military in and they need that for recruitment. Look at Trumps military operation last night. A base previously attacked by drones: nothing new. Now a team went in, a US soldier was killed and several were injured, a large number of houses were destroyed in retaliation, ISIS gets to say kids and women died at the hands of the US army. Invaluable PR!

This emphasis on saving Christian refugees over other refugees is a problem as well.
sounds a LOT like "there are good germans in Austria/Poland/... getting killed we're invading to save them".

ISIS is going to say ok, we'll step up persecution of christians in the middle east because that will draw the US military in and they need that for recruitment. Look at Trumps military operation last night. A base previously attacked by drones: nothing new. Now a team went in, a US soldier was killed and several were injured, a large number of houses were destroyed in retaliation, ISIS gets to say kids and women died at the hands of the US army. Invaluable PR!

The problem is, is that Bannon is a racist / xenophobic madman who is clearly only motivated by trying to destroy other people. He doesn't seem to think out his plans very carefully, although he probably sees himself as an ingenious schemer.

I really don't think ISIS needs an excuse to "step-up" persecution in the Middle East mate. There's basically a genocide of religious minorities already going on there. I don't necessarily buy that focusing on Christians is a pretext to invasion. It sounds like a rationale to just deny the other religious minorities refugee status.
These dissenters need to do something besides guffaw.

This shit is getting out of hand.
I don't want to give them any excuses, but I do think there's a valid question of what it is that they can do? I'm not sure what they can really do. Speaking out publicly won't do much, they'd just get replaced some even more braindead mook. I guess they could record conversations and such and leak them maybe?

Blizzard

Banned

At least 6 Christian immigrants were already sent back, too. So it's not even like they're filtering.

On a somewhat brighter note, I just discovered this awesome song yesterday by Pink Floyd. The lyrics are oddly relevant, and the video is fun and very 80's. On The Turning Away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZLuDvN7W0c

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why can't police be as nice as they were at the women's march?

The women's march wasn't directly challenging the state's abuse of power. The muslim ban protesters are a much more immediate threat to Trump's appearance of legitimacy.

It's not hard to imagine Trump's gang and certain of their minions are thinking about how they could make all this turn ugly to strengthen their narrative about the protests being the work of extremist sympathizers, terrorist funded, etc.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The reports are that the police were there in gear because somebody was seriously assaulted. And if you watch the start of that video, a protester was seriously trying to fight them but being held back by others.

Nobody was hurt by these police. Yeah they were aggressive, but it's an aggressive situation. As I said, somebody was injured and that's why they had to come in. I don't see why this is a huge deal.

Bannon and Miller are fucking retarded
Trump just wants to look important

A fucking terrifying combo. That motherfucker with a pen can do the most damage in this country's history because none of this is thought out at all and they all have to go.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The reports are that the police were there in gear because somebody was seriously assaulted. And if you watch the start of that video, a protester was seriously trying to fight them but being held back by others.

Nobody was hurt by these police. Yeah they were aggressive, but it's an aggressive situation. As I said, somebody was injured and that's why they had to come in. I don't see why this is a huge deal.

If there was an assault, then yes this reaction is to be expected. Until now the protests have been remarkably peaceful considering, which is to the credit of the organizers and the people attending.

Still, I hope organizers are actively warning people to increase their levels of caution.

Codeblue

I know one of those people. My cousin's husband aided American troops in Iraq. One day, in front of his house he was punched in the back of his head and stuffed into the trunk of a car. Luckily, while he was flailing the trunk banged against his elbow and failed to close. The kidnappers were in too much of a rush since it was broad daylight that they didn't notice. He jumped out of the moving vehicle and hopped a fence going from backyard to backyard until he got home then fled. It took him years of hiding before he was admitted to the States.

Now he's living his American dream. He has a car, a job, a daughter, and sits around playing videogames on his off time. He got lucky. He's an amazing human being with such an optimistic outlook, and loves this country more than anyone I know. The idea that we're shutting people like him out destroys me.

jbug617

Banned
Probably posted but some Immigration Lawyers suggest green card holders from the banned countries should fly into Boston

Some immigration lawyers are advising green card holders from seven majority-Muslim countries affected by President Trump’s order and who are traveling overseas to fly back to the United States through Boston because a Massachusetts judge’s order blocking the enforcement of President Trump’s executive order offers them more protection than similar judicial orders elsewhere.

The order signed by Judge Allison Burroughs and Magistrate Judge Judith Dein, issued early Sunday morning, requires the government to release approved refugees and individuals with valid visas from the seven majority-Muslim countries listed in President Trump’s executive order — Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Iran, and Yemen.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...pmwBKKSMBaObJIyVxgTL/story.html?event=event25

I know one of those people. My cousin's husband aided American troops in Iraq. One day, in front of his house he was punched in the back of his head and stuffed into the trunk of a car. Luckily, while he was flailing the trunk banged against his elbow and failed to close. The kidnappers were in too much of a rush since it was broad daylight that they didn't notice. He jumped out of the moving vehicle and hopped a fence going from backyard to backyard until he got home then fled. It took him years of hiding before he was admitted to the States.

Now he's living his American dream. He has a car, a job, a daughter, and sits around playing videogames on his off time. He got lucky. He's an amazing human being with such an optimistic outlook, and loves this country more than anyone I know. The idea that we're shutting people like him out destroys me.

That's insane.

Formless

Yeah doesn't look like in the confines of that video that the police did anything crazy. You can see one guy taking off his sweatshirt before approaching the police before some people hold him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom